1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

And then there are typewriters...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WingedWords, Mar 6, 2021.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had an old manual Royal office typewriter in my classroom throughout my career. Kids of all ages were fascinated by it. It stayed pretty much in working order, though the ribbon was long dried out. Had an old Underwood portable in there too. I gave them both away when I retired, no room to bring stuff home.

Today they call it keyboarding, and most kids are fairly good at it by the time they're in high school, or so it seemed to me.

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Yes, I think it was George Blackman.

http://www.georgeblackman.co.uk/html/repairs.html

3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Not that kind of quote my friend. They were sales quotes from when I sold equipment. I could send you one if you have trouble falling asleep.

boneyguy likes this.
  4. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I still have our family’s Smith Corona Galaxie Deluxe manual typewriter from the 1960’s, and it’s still functional. Also found a couple of SC electrics from the same era at thrift stores, they just needed a new belt...and ribbons. Good ribbons with fresh ink are hard to find. The ones I got off Amazon were too dry and letters were faint.

Sorta neat to pull one out and plink away on it, but when it’s time to make a correction, not as great. In the old days I had a sheet of correction paper: you would backspace over the bad letter, slip the correction paper behind the ribbon guides, and type the bad letter, covering it, then backspace again to type the correct letter. They don’t make that stuff any more. It’s whiteout or another weird type of correction “tape” that doesn’t work well with typewriters.

So my 3 typewriters now sit on a shelf in their cases.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a Silent Super in grey around 1958. I didn't learn to type until much later, and then only on a computer keyboard. My mom got fed up with me avoiding learning to type, and sold the typewriter to a young girl who could type and would use it. I didn't blame my momma at all for getting rid of it, actually I was kind of relieved.

6. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

my uncle learned to repair them while living at the Extended Stay in the 60's & 70's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.