1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

And then there are typewriters...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WingedWords, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

My mother had an electric typewriter that I used quite a bit in high school in the mid 80s. I don't recall the brand but it was not the daisywheel or ball type. Nothing like a modern word processor, but an electric typewriter was quite a step up from a manual one. The key effort was not much more than a typical computer keyboard.

2. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Smith Corona used a daisy wheel, as did Brother. So far as I recall, IBM was the only one with a ball.

Everybody and their kin seemed to make a “standard” typewriter in electric.

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

You and others that worked on, with, or sold them may be interested to read a book I read a while back. It is titled The Spy In Moscow Station and recounts how the NSA learned that the Soviets had intercepted typewriters sent to the US embassy in Moscow (not in diplomatic containers) and embedded spy devices in them.

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250301161

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Typewriters may be obsolete but I was just telling someone at work a couple of days ago that taking typing was one of the few good decisions I've ever made. I may not be a great typist but I can get around a computer keyboard better than most of my coworkers. Of course, I work in a factory so it's not like the competition is exactly stiff.

SRHmusic and 1955 like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Well....if you can do it with 3, more power to you, I use 2 fingers to type myself...the ol’ poker!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  6. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

The brand in the classic (and possibly apocryphal) quote usually attributed to Jack Warner that his screenwriters were just "schmucks with Underwoods." :lol:

knockeduptele likes this.
  7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I like the IBM machines, and looked into buying a refurbished used one. There are still certain carbonless, multi-color documents in the legal world that are pre-printed and look better typed. An Entry of Service signed and filed to prove service of a complaint, subpoena, etc. is one of them. Subpoenas are not carbonless form documents like that but in some courts in the state system they have to be obtained from the clerk's office in blank with a signature and seal for a fee. The attorney or a paralegal then has to fill it out, and a typewriter is therefore handy.

Someone left behind a cheaper typewriter in the library of my former building that I formerly used, so I am without one now. The prices on a refurb'd Selectric III and other models is pretty high, one can buy a notebook computer for less. Or just fill out the aforementioned documents in handwriting.

8. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I can actually partially use my crippled ring finger to type. It's a bit awkward but you adapt.

I just wish I could use it to play guitar. I have tried sticking a slide on it but I don't really care for playing slide.

I'm a three fingered guitar abuser but a 9 1/2 fingered typist.

Fretting out likes this.
  9. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You must have thought of a lot of important and witty things to say to spend time typing them out. Let's hear some of your quotes........... :D

10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If you can use your pinky to play your better than I

3fngrs likes this.
  11. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I learned to type on an acoustic typewriter when I was a sophomore in high school.

P Thought and brookdalebill like this.
  12. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

They are objects of a foregone time. I’m not even sure how much it would cost to get the special ribbon and correction tape for the version I liked the best with the backspace key that removed characters from the typed page. Consumables could kill you....

13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I started out on my Grandmother's typewriter from the mid-40's. The letter "a" key was so stiff that I had to reach over and push it down with my right index finger (I was 10 years old at the time). To this day, I use my right index finger to reach over and press the "a" key, but I do type 122 words per minute using that method so why change.

There is a local news reporter that I used to work with who learned to type with just his index fingers. Watching him go with just those 2 fingers at 145 words per minute was amazing.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

My pinky is a little dicey too. It only bends at one joint but again, you adapt or quit.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The IBM Selectrics were very cool machines. In at least some models they had a memory of what you typed on the current line, and had a "back up and erase" (or "delete") key. It would go back one letter at a time and type over it with the white correcton ribbon. (I think it kept going if you held it down.)

A friend of mine's father worked at IBM in the 1980s, and they had ine at home. They let me use it to type a big report my senior year in high school. But, computers were getting to be affordable, and by the time I was out of college the only typewriters where I worked were used by some of the admins to fill in forms.

My mother kept the Royal she had in college back in the 1950s fir a long time, sort of a powder coated gray color. Pretty cool little machine, but it hurt if you got your fingers stuck between the keys(!).

16. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

I’m not sure how many typewriters the actor Tom Hanks has now, but one of my friends in Tulsa has fifty (50)? Typewriters.

I think eBay has lots of them listed but I’ve never really checked that out.
    Lost_N_Austin.

17. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

My pinky is a little dicey too. It only bends at one joint but again, you adapt or quit.

18. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

We were watching a British TV show where they repair stuff, a guy brought in a Royal typewriter, I think it was around a 1914 model, a man around 80 years old rebuilt it, he said there were over 1000 parts. It was pretty amazing to see.

That said, I much prefer typing on my computer!

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to have an Old Acoustic like that when I was in College.

20. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Yikes! The things they used to teach us. Typing, budgeting money, how to write a check and 50 years later these are still usable skills. I don't remember any teachers asking how we felt about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.