1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

And the top 3 Tele neck pickups are...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by DHart, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Where did you get the chrome selector switch tip? That looks really slick.

2. Pechorin

Pechorin TDPRI Member

My favourite neck pickup could be described as possessing "muffled, dull tones", so leaving that one out...

Right now I'm enjoying the Fender 51 Nocaster neck pickup - the one that comes in a box as a set with the corresponding bridge pickup - although it's still relatively new to me. The thing is, once I find something I believe works the way I want I stick with it and don't mess with it. This one seems to be heading for that category.

There's another cool one I like, made by Q Pickups. It's an Alnico II which sounds (to me) how I imagine the Duncan equivalent would be without the brass cover.

But maybe if I had to choose just one to cover all the bases it would be a pickup I discovered years ago while lurking on this forum. It's a Fender and the part number is 0053780000 -

[​IMG]

I can only speak from within my own frame of reference and those three are what I'd consider having the qualities mentioned in the OP, albeit in different amounts.
    But I'm definitely liking that Nocaster neck.

3. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Selector switch tip (I LOVE it!) and control plate with angled selector slot are both from Rutters Guitars.

4. DHart

Following on my last post here, this may not come as a shock, but right now, my favorite Tele neck pickups continue to be Tele BRIDGE pickups! :eek:

Most recently, Boostrap Palo Duro bridge pickup used as the neck pickup in one of my Strats.

World still keeps on turning.

Tele BRIDGE pickups give neck tones to die for. They have spoiled me for conventional Tele neck pickups.

[​IMG]

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good thing you put the number in your post, I couldn't quite make it out from the label. :lol:

Anyway, that is the neck from the Original Vintage, Vintage Telecaster set, AKA '52 Tele/American Vintage.

A III, enamel wire.

Original Vintage Tele Neck Pickup:

DC Resistance: 7.7K

Inductance: 2.45 Henries

Pechorin likes this.
  6. Pechorin

Pechorin TDPRI Member

Yeah :D But I know that even nowadays there are still some folks preserving their bandwidth for whatever reason and so browse with images turned off. And actual text is always preferable to a photo of text when people are using the search function :)

e: Anyway, that's another small mystery solved for me - the exact identity of that pickup. Cheers.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Couldn't resist, when I scrolled the page that image made me push my chair back a couple feet, YIKES ! :lol:

My pleasure on the I.D. info my friend.

And yes the CS Nocaster neck is a sweetheart as well............not muddy, kinda Strat-y, I've had those as well, the bridge is fabulous.

Happy Pickin'

8. Pechorin

Pechorin TDPRI Member

For future reference I'll make a note to resize anyway:cool: But it could be worse, because I used to shoot photos used on billboards for a living. :lol:

Yeah, the Nocaster neck is nice indeed, although if I started using the OV again I'd probably be just as content.
    Haven't tried the Nocaster bridge but I'm sure I'll get around to it one day. :)

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

every time I install a set .. I'm simply stunned...

1, Bill Lawrence Microcoils.. #2, Bill Lawrence Keystones... #3, anything else Bill has to offer... Do Not let the low cost fool you.. Bill kept the cost low simply because he could not, in good conscious charge what some of the others are...

and, sure, there are other pickups that qualify.. but on the Bang-for the-Buck meter... these things simply peg the needle on a good solid 10..

rk

Bruxist, DHart and sjtalon like this.
  10. Ronkirn

here's the thing about Bill's pickups. Those qualities the OP mention are the very foundation of Bill's standards... He never made pickups that were supposed to sound like something from the 50's or 60's... or something that was supposed to make "you" sound like some rock star.... his criteria was sonic purity... simple sonic elegance...

He understood that with such precision "tools", a musician was in control and could produce whatever sound he wanted....

I remember when he introduced his last creation, the MicroCoils at NAMM in '09, sitting there with Arlo West, Reggie Young, Arlen Roth and a few others I shouldn't have forgotten, watching their excitement over them. Seymour Duncan was in the next Booth, even he had to come try 'em...

If it's clear, bright, sparkly, tone, and allow me to mention their articulation.. Bill's pickups are the thing... and nothing cuts through the mix with their precision....

comparing their overall performance to the "norm" is like comparing a Ferrari to the more pedestrian motorcars we drive... they do what they're supposed to do, and do a darn good job of it too .. but the Ferrari is quite frankly like being abducted by a super human intelligence and given the opportunity to pilot their "ride".. "Phew!!

and to answer the follow-up question.. Yes.. I have.. and I know what it's like . .

r

Derek Kiernan and DHart like this.
  11. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

Just go Esquire. You know you want to ;)

12. DHart

:lol: Not for me. I love the neck and middle positions the best!

13. OzShadow

OzShadow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Adder APC for clean, high output Strat type neck or Don Mare for vintage tone

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an old Barden in my '52 RI that I love. No routing required.

15. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

there is no such thing as a "top" or "best" guitar/bass/whatever pickup. that is literally impossible.

just about everything associated with music is highly subjective, and in many ways unique.

if a pickup works as it was designed, it's a good pickup. some will call it "best" others will call it "not so good" - subjective thinking that's either personal or created via some manner of "peer pressure" ("hey, it's a Whiz Bang pickup that Eric, Jimmy and Stevie use all the time, so it's just got to be great!" --- um, really?)

beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder. add ears to that phrase as well. ;)

Bristlehound, DHart and radiocaster like this.
  16. Ronkirn

ditto Rob...

that says it all...

Something is good only if to you and it becomes best if it's performance is better to you than anything else you have tried... It there was a best.. all the professionals would be using it...

r

17. DHart

Rob and Ron... perhaps it needs to be noted that this thread specifically requested individual's personal top choices for:

Tele neck pickups for bright, clean, sparkly clear tone. (Not "BEST" pickup.)

I asked so that I might consider a group of different pickups, that people here were familiar with, that they considered be considered bright, clean, and sparkly.

I hope you understand that distinction now. :)

Nowhere was there any statement that any particular pickup is "the best". But there certainly can be a top group of pickups that sound bright, clean, and sparkly to an individual's ears.

The specific request at the outset of this thread, and I quote, was: "Please present your nominations for what you think are bright, clean, sparkly neck pickups for a Tele."

Most here recognize that what is bright and clean, and sparkly to one individual may be less-so to another individual.

And, I think any intelligent individual would know that there is no "best" guitar pickup, any more than there is any "best" guitar color, "best" string gauge, "best" beer, or "best" hair color on a woman. :lol:

There are just a lot of options suited to some particular styles/applications/preferences... and not so much so to others.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  18. DHart

Thanks Ron for that input.

I have yet to try Bill Lawrence pickups, but they get rave reviews from all four corners of the world, so.... I really need to order some up and see what all the excitement is about! :)

I need to mention another option to the topic, as well.

The Bootstrap Pretzel Tele neck pickup is among the brightest, cleanest, clearest, and most sparkly Tele neck pickups that I've tried. And they're priced wonderfully low. Worth a go, for sure. :)

19. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

"And the top 3 Tele neck pickups are ..." - that statement alone begs for a "best" because it demands a comparative evaluation that always leads to a "best" and a "not so best".

what should matter most to all is that no matter what, it's all subjective and there is no right or wrong.

there are definite levels of tone, but the major caveat is that each of us *should* evaluate "tone" individually, not as a group.

there's already far too much "group think" going on in today's world, let's get back to individual thinking.

CFFF likes this.
  20. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Don Mare '54 Neck.

It's a gorgeous sound.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.