And that's how I know I'm over the hill

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Sometimes I go to sleep watching "Bonehead Truckers". The next morning I wake up wondering if Swift Trucking has a training center nearby...

Then the pills kick in and I'm over it...for a while.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This right here... this is how I know I'm over the hill and out of touch with everything.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/american-music-awards-2021-winners-list-1235115709/

Some artists I've heard about and I mean I've heard the name mentioned somewhere.
Couldn't name a single song by them.

One or two I've heard songs from.
Most likely exactly one song in such case and no more.

I know Carrie Underwood won American Idol... I was rooting for Bo Bice, but c'est la guerre.

I know of Kanye West, sure but it was... refreshing to see him take the trophy in the
category Favorite Gospel Artist. :confused:

So yeah... If anyone needs me I'll be in my cave composing dad-rock songs full of boomer bends.
I think the biggest difference between "now" and when I was young, is that back then, we listened to new and different music because it was GOOD. Now, kids listen to different music because it's "different". Anything to "pi**-off" their elders. ;););)

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I feel like this gets said here a lot, but you guys weren't paying attention to music awards back when Zeppelin and Floyd weren't winning them (and Pat Boone was). Why do so many of you labor under this delusion that these awards (or charts, or 'radio') are some bellwether of what "good music" looks like today?

American Idol? Lord, lol

Last edited:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
You don't have to be that guy who is musically unaware and accepts it. Start listening to Top 40, especially, and other music. Step outside your comfort zone. Do not go gentle into that good night.

Never let it be said...
I did actually adopt Djent a few years back. Love the tones and the concept. Hate most of the vocalists.
Luckily I can pretend they're not there... just an indelible disturbance intrinsic to the style... like hum on single coils. :)

oldunc

Tele-Afflicted
'Twas the year 1971 that I moved out of the burbs and was freed forever from the toils of AM radio, leaving pop music, mainstream rock and pretty much any music that might be featured in USA Today in the rearview mirror. I do check in occasionally and I don't think I'm missing much; the world is full of wonderful music that is largely non-industrial.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That's ok man.... I've been in my cave for about 20 years now ;) Ok.... back to my boomer bends :D

I talked to Mr. Jones he doesn't know what's happening either. I kept asking, what's happening? Mr. Jones kept saying, I know somethings happening, but I don't know what. Finally, we just sat there and looked at each other in utter confusion.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I talked to Mr. Jones he doesn't know what's happening either. I kept asking, what's happening? Mr. Jones kept saying, I know somethings happening, but I don't know what. Finally, we just sat there and looked at each other in utter confusion.
That's ok,.....while you had Mr Jones occupied, I was foolin' around with his wife.......you know, Me and Mrs Jones. (we got a thing goin' on) ;)

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
"American" Music Awards? I didn't see a Blues category. Go figure.

I recognized 31 bands/entertainers on the list and I know who they are. Many of them I have heard their music but mostly one song on many of them. Some of them I like, i.e. Bruno Mars, Maroon 5, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Tiesto, Jason Aldean. I'm probably still over the hill, but I'm not under it. :twisted:

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I know I’m old cause I think grunge is new music!

I think the line in the sand for me was Yazz with the song The Only Way is Up.

Before this I had consumed 80's pop voraciously and I still think the songwriting and production of mid 80's pop is among
the finest ever created. When Yazz rolled around it was like... "wow... this is not very good". This was closely followed by
Technotronic with Pump Up the Jam and this song just sucked out loud.

... and then it was downhill from there. Cue 90's pop. A precious few get a pass but mostly that was it.

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
This right here... this is how I know I'm over the hill and out of touch with everything.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/american-music-awards-2021-winners-list-1235115709/

Some artists I've heard about and I mean I've heard the name mentioned somewhere.
Couldn't name a single song by them.

One or two I've heard songs from.
Most likely exactly one song in such case and no more.

I know Carrie Underwood won American Idol... I was rooting for Bo Bice, but c'est la guerre.

I know of Kanye West, sure but it was... refreshing to see him take the trophy in the
category Favorite Gospel Artist. :confused:

So yeah... If anyone needs me I'll be in my cave composing dad-rock songs full of boomer bends.
Yeah, nothing to see here. absolutely lost.
I'll go back to the other hill, where I know terrain better.;)