..And Standing Water In The Lawn - Again...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jun 19, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Has it ever been? :lol::lol::lol:

kookaburra likes this.
  2. unixfish

I forgot to mention - I also had mushrooms growing throughout the lawn. Little tiny ones that are shorter than the mower blade cuts. These are even in the front yard, where we don't have standing water.

Just. So. Wet. This. Year.

3. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Good for these buggers.

[​IMG]

kookaburra likes this.
  4. unixfish

OMG! We are saved! The rains came - our crops and our lawn are saved!

Just. Getting. Wetter.

I am picking up our mower tractor from the repair shop today. I am going to ask them to mount an outboard motor to it so I can mow the back yard.

kookaburra likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The annual Junesoons have returned here in western Montana. It has been quite a few years without it. The more the merrier, so bring it on. The run-off is lasting longer, so unlimited amp time right now from our micro-hydro system.:)

6. unixfish

I need to put week killer on the back patio; it is a uni-lock block patio, and we get weeks growing between the blocks. I have not had a clear time to do this - I don't want the killer leaking into the lawn.

I have been using my new weed whip to "mow down" the weeds. Not a big deal, but an ever two weeks task.

I get we are nowhere near as bad as a lot of places - I am more whining than complaining. It's just a hassle.

7. unixfish

Crank it up and enjoy! I cannot imagine what you go through waiting for water to get power. Off the grid indeed! I grew up in the country, but not nearly as off the path as you are. I now live on a city lot and enjoy the amenities it provides. Spoiled, I guess. But - you used to be "in the thick of it" from what I remember on past posts, so this was a decision. Bravo!

Obsessed likes this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Ha. I probably have minnows in my back yard. Got another few inches of rain last night. Haven't been able to get a mower through parts of it yet. Have been putting on waders and hacking it back with a string trimmer.....

9. unixfish

True dat!

10. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

upload_2019-6-20_10-4-29.jpeg

Georox likes this.
  11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

upload_2019-6-20_10-5-4.jpeg

Attached Files:

Georox likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^Heh! Seriously, I've been told that mosquitoes get larger as you go further north. Let's ask our Alaskan comrades!

Obsessed likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We have south moving north and maps of where stuff grows moving around.

14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

We were wet in February. We were supposed to get a good rain last night that didn’t happen. I just turned my sprinkler system back on.

15. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

It only grows till it goes to seed, if that's any comfort to you.:) Of course depending on what grass type you have, height may vary greatly.

But it could be much worse. You could be watching your crops rotting in the fields, and hauling your mouldy hay to the mushroom houses for reduced income.

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

we are in a solar minimum, the upper atmosphere is cooling. this leads to highly variable weather. Some phycists have postulated we are about to head into a period similar to the maunder minimum, this was a period known for cooler summers and winters, but also for its instability of weather patterns leading to warm spells in winter and cold spells in summer/spring/fall.

if they are correct, (and this is new science waiting to be proven) we should have more of this sort of thing for at least a decade, maybe several.

some articles in this vein:

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/history/ghcc/event/events/chpt1_the_little_ice_age.pdf

https://www.almanac.com/news/astronomy/astronomy/solar-minimum-approaching-mini-ice-age

this shows how bad some of the storms were:

http://wiki.iceagefarmer.com/wiki/History:_Extreme_Weather_during_the_Maunder_Minimum

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

...think I saw a minnow or two in the back yard - kind of a slow swimmer though.

alligator almost submerged.jpg

18. magicfingers99

thats one ugly looking log, you might want to dry it out and mill it, bet it would make a great tele...

teletimetx likes this.
  19. magicfingers99

20. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We (ski area, MTB trails) are too hard on mowers. The power center people and tractor repair place says WTF either outright or in their minds when they see what we do. We do have two PistenBullys but anyone aware of what they cost will understand why they haven't been in the creek or pond on purpose.

Right now we're preparing to truck our 4x4 diesel tractor for some work where I know eyes will roll when they see it. We've given up on commercial riding mowers lasting except for the one that attaches to the tractor.

If you know what winch catting is, we do it for grooming ski jumps but have also used it when no towing service has been able to recover some of the stupid things our members or trespassers have done. Last month a kid slid the parents' late model Ford Explorer off a service road into a few feet of mud on a steep slope. When two wreckers failed the big PistenBully winch pulled (ripped) them all out of the mess. I can only imagine what repairing that car and two truck cost. The tow truck driver was a fool to try but maybe we only knew that from experience.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.