..And Standing Water In The Lawn - Again...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by unixfish, Jun 19, 2019.

1. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Bassman8, howardlo and rcole_sooner like this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ayup. Same here.

Bassman8 and howardlo like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

It's been rainy and mild here so far. Lots of flooding along the Mississippi River with record levels, but I'm sure August will be it's usual "Scorched Earth" self.

4. unixfish

The town where my wife grew up - just west of Akron, OH - has had roads wash out and a bridge wash out. That is only 25 miles from where we live. It's been a wet season this year.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Your situation is what beer and TV are made for. Kick back. :D

We've got the same deal, here. The back edge of the acre is a 40 foot wide creek and much of our property is creek bottom that doesn't drain well. The lawn guys have stopped by many times, but a walk around the property showed that's it's just too soggy for any mowing.

This is one of the wettest Springs, ever, in Western NY, but AMAZINGLY the creek and our property haven't reached flood stage. I talked to the highway commissioner last Monday and he and his right-hand man said they expect flooding to do nothing but increase in the area.

Farmers from the Rockies to the East coast are suffering from the same thing. IIRC in Ohio they are just finishing their Spring planting only 2 days before the first day of Summer. It will be a low-yield and low dollar year.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  6. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I've been trying to finish a large painting job for weeks now. I only need maybe 10 or 12 more hours and I'll be done. It is a large payday for me, so I'm chomping at the bit to get it done. It seems like every guitar and amplifier I've ever wanted has shown up on our local Craigslist these last few weeks for decent prices, but I won't have any discretionary cash until I finish this job.

nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. unixfish

You are only about a 3.5 hour drive from us, so I would expect you are in a similar weather pattern.

But yeah - wet year. I still remember in he 90's when it was so dry a single cigarette out the window would burn 300 square feet of grass. I guess we just live to fight another year, eh?

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like if you are house hunting out east, high ground is the way to go, now and in the future.

Owenmoney and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  9. unixfish

If you have the same luck I do, as soon as you get paid, all those listings will dry up.

Here's to hoping you have better luck than I do.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, we both get whatever weather Lake Erie decides to deliver at any given moment. :D

11. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Mighty wet, the sump pump started in mid April and is just now taking a break. Outdoor painting? Fugetaboutit.
    Still not as wet as it has been though: you can still get a canoe under the Chinworth Bridge. :)

12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The worst part? This amount of saturation for this long is going to allow record amounts of water to perk back down into the aquifers. And we all know what is carried along with all that water. Not good...

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Great move Dwight......turn a weather related thread into a gear-related one.....my hat's off to you! ;)

Nightclub Dwight and unixfish like this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The terrible flooding near our home was 10 months ago but we still have water standing where some have never seen it or never seen it remain except for days or weeks in spring time.

We are years into something changed or a new normal. I see and know this from my years of being into trout stream care, trail building and being a ski area director. So far this summer we've been spared the crazy incidents but it is an exceptionally cloudy, rainy and therefore cool summer. It is not helping fix what remains from last year.

william tele likes this.
  15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Here I was thinking about offering some of our water up for sale or trade...

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Wet here in this DelMarValous land of ours as well . I ve been clearing out various vines, but it's taking 5 times as long since I have to break to let it dry, or mow the lawn and then can t go back to it since I m allergic to grass and its one or the other.

17. unixfish

I will trade you water and mud from our back yard for an American Professional Tele. No problem!

Oh, wait, your water. Nevermind.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We have about 1000sq. ft of mahogany deck on the back of our porch. It badly needs to be cleaned, sanded, and stained.

We have been waiting forever for the weather to cooperate. Really frustrating. My expectation is about 3-4 hours to clean it with wood cleaner, 4-5 hours to sand it with an orbital sander. Those steps are not hyper critical to have a long stretch of dry weather. But the stain wants 3-5 days of dry weather prior to applying stain. I'm not sure we've had that since the snow melted. And we have have been having EPIC amounts of pollen coming down. To the point you can walk across the deck and clouds of pollen kick up from your feet as if you're the hulk landing and buckling pavement. If we clean and sand and then it's caked in green pollen we'll have to clean again..

19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Same here in Indiana. Yesterday had a chance to mow the back yard (been keeping the front yard up for appearances) but after a 12 hour shift I just didn't have it in me. Maybe tonight as long as it stays dry.

20. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

No problems here in Phoenix.

Georox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.