And now the electric Chevy Silverado

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
If I can't haul a sheet of plywood with the tailgate up, it's not a real pickup.
I'm going to be in the in the market for a new vehicle soon--saw a Toyota on display at Bass Pro not long ago with the flared rear wheel wells. Great looking vehicle, but the wheel wells took up so much of the bed that you'd never be able to fit much of anything in there, and the rear lockboxes were full of rainwater. I immediately decided that I'd be better off with an SUV.

RLM69

TDPRI Member
Ponder this! The recent fire disaster in Louisville Colorado affected a lot of families the own electric vehicles. If they don't have a home to go to, how do they charge the cars? There are not enough charging stations at Walmart for everyone. We will need combustion vehicles for years to come. I haven't seen a ship, train, or airplane that can travel from Asia to the US to deliver whole goods with out the use of fossil fuels. Ideas?

Friend of Leo's
That's why I recommend a diesel truck that can also run on oil from human spleens. So ready for 2022!

road_cannibals_1200.jpg
Boooooo 😉

Friend of Leo's
Another one.... Looking in my/your profile, top right of the screen, no way to quickly see the last/latest posts I made!

Edit... OK, take that one back. Now under "my content"
Whoops, wrong thread!

Last edited:

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm sure adding millions of EVs will do everything to rectify the situation. :p
That's what I was saying, the manufactured urgency to get everyone into EVs is not being matched with the same urgency to beef up the grid. Also, the price of these EVs is ridiculous and once they are mandated, how much of a trade-in are you going to get for your gas burner? $0

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Ponder this! The recent fire disaster in Louisville Colorado affected a lot of families the own electric vehicles. If they don't have a home to go to, how do they charge the cars? There are not enough charging stations at Walmart for everyone. We will need combustion vehicles for years to come. I haven't seen a ship, train, or airplane that can travel from Asia to the US to deliver whole goods with out the use of fossil fuels. Ideas?
Sailboats! Now that's progress :p

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
That's what I was saying, the manufactured urgency to get everyone into EVs is not being matched with the same urgency to beef up the grid. Also, the price of these EVs is ridiculous and once they are mandated, how much of a trade-in are you going to get for your gas burner? $0

The source here is the conservative Wall St. Journal 12/21/21. The US grid storage just grew by 15 gigawatts on pace to accelerate this year. Lithium-ion battery packs, which cost more than $1,200 per kilowatt-hour in 2010, have fallen to around $132 this year. The utility industry is investing heavily in storage and grid so their investments in peak power stations will remain relevant. Goldman Sachs research in the article cited what I recall was 14x growth in the stationary battery storage.

Again, the whole industry is only aiming for 20-25% EVs a decade away. How do you think used gasoline powered vehicles are worth nothing when that's most of what's sold?

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I had a neighbor who used to have a
That's why I recommend a diesel truck that can also run on oil from human spleens. So ready for 2022!

road_cannibals_1200.jpg

My neighbor used to have a GM C-series medium duty truck (C-65 I think) with a Detroit Diesel four cylinder, 4-71 I think, with a turbo and a split-into-two-stacks exhaust like that, and I recall smoke like that on cold morning startups.

The other diesel I’ve seen do smoke like that is the YouTube videos of WWII T-34 tank cold starts.

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
I’m not sold on the electric vehicle thing and especially a pickup. I live near a rural area and about 30-45 minutes from the big city. Pickups are hot items around here and a lot of people use a truck for what it’s intended for. That said there’s still plenty of folks that buy a truck just to have a truck. Then a theres the diesel guys, ones that actually put it to work then the obnoxious pavement princess bro rigs.

There aren’t any charging stations where I live, none that I’ve seen anyway. I work and run around the bigger city and rarely see any unless you get to the higher ritzy up scale areas where it’s cool to have a Tesla.

It’s a hard no from me, I’ve got a 22 foot 14 tilt trailer me and my Buddy’s use to haul cars, crap and occasionally a skid steer or mini hoe. I’ll stick with my newer 3/4 chevy with the 6.0 gasser.