And now for something completely different

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Festofish, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So my first new guitar ever was a green Jackson complete with Floyd Rose. I haven’t owned either since and have been a staunch hardtail man until a couple years ago. Yesterday I traded for this and I’ll be honest…I had to YouTube how to work it! I’m not sure how long I’ll keep it but it’s interesting. It’s pretty dang good for a cheap guitar. The neck is even graphite reinforced! $350 for a graphite reinforced neck?!? Why is that not standard by all manufacturers? Neon orange! The pics don’t capture the neon.
    5A6C83AD-DA64-4907-A05B-01E4F94D9B35.jpeg 25D0CC2A-76CC-46A7-9BBF-6EC21F233EFF.jpeg

2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Whenever I see a metal guitar, I immediately think of this dude. So I’m assuming this is you.

3. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

Happy NGD!

For my personal taste I don't possess the nerves to fiddle with getting Floyds set up properly enough to use.
    I just want to tune up and go for it. Same reason I only use single speed bicycles(the hardtails of two-wheeled transportation).
    If I had a full time tech I could just hand the guitar to for fixing I'd use Floyds 'cause they are fun, but as long
    as I have to do it myself I'll stick with hardtails. Yes, I still have a couple of Floyds knocking about in closets but would
    you just look at all the Telecasters and Les Pauls I've been playing lately(reference to frequency, not amount of guitars).

Besides... this thing works very well if used sparingly.

[​IMG]

Just set it to like 2 steps down instead of the +2 octave "Killing in the name" -mode and it sounds totally "real".

Festofish and Gimble like this.
  4. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

The antidote for Telecaster Fever!

Festofish likes this.
  5. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I like a lot of the newer, cheaper Jacksons. I've owned three models and still have two of them, I play my hardtail Dinky pretty regularly. It's an absolute killer for a $150 guitar. I bought another, modded RR used (all I could find on it is that it's something in the JS series) with a Floyd that I love, yet play very sparingly as I hate dealing with the Floyd. The third was a seven string that I traded for an SG.

Love the necks on them. Fast, yet not too thin for me. Hell, I even like the stock pickups on the ones I've tried. They were my real entryway into guitars as I began progressing. Cheap Jacksons will always have an oddly special place in my heart.

Festofish likes this.
  6. clingin_on

clingin_on Tele-Meister

That's a sweet looking guitar :cool: '80s-type superstrats are a guilty pleasure for me. I had a White Jackson DK2M which I regret trading. It was a pain to re-string, however I'm more patient now.

Hmm.. maybe I'll have a look around :D

I'd love one of those Valley Arts superstrats, as played by the late, and in my opinion, great, Michael Casswell.
    Michael Casswell.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  7. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Jackson's are great guitars. I have a MIJ DXMG that I like to pull out when I'm in a metal mood.

Mine isn't orange but I wish it was. Yours looks very flashy in the best way.

Festofish likes this.
  8. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Festofish likes this.
  9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Congrats on the nice Jackson! Looks in really good shape. Do you know how old it is?

The closest I've got to a Floyd nowadays is an old Japanese Strat with a Fender 'System 1' setup, which I believe is modeled after the Schaller setup.

[​IMG]

It's got the locking nut, but I can't really be bothered with locking it down because I don't do a whole lot of dive bombing nowadays, so I took the locking bits off of the nut and I just use it like a regular old Strat trem. It actually holds its tuning pretty well!

- D

clingin_on likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Sweet!

I recently got my first Floyd rose equipped guitar, thankfully I’ve seen a lot of setups on YouTube

My first guitar that was mine was a jackson

Festofish likes this.
  11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Congrats on the Jackson, HNGD.

Festofish likes this.
  12. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was trying to remember his name but this is exactly who I thought of with that second post!

posttoastie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.