And finally, I shall build the guitar I’ve always wanted.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bugeater281, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

It’s been a 2 year project. But I’m almost there. There was a guitar I’ve always wanted. But I can’t afford one, and they are rare. So I designed my own version of it. The company has since went bankrupt, and they no longer make guitars. I don’t believe there are any trademarks on it either. This guitar is the reason I started building guitars(I’m not really a fan of teles, even though that’s all I’ve made). I’ve had a bunch of life happen and time has been sparse the last few years. But I’m slowing getting some personal time back. So I managed to finish the templates, except the neck(should be done by tomorrow). It’ll be a set neck, It’s probably going to be a 25in scale length. I’ll also probably make a 25.5 version to compare.

I’m hoping to have the template cnced this weekend. Then once I have time I’ll start actually building. Eventually I’d like the design to be a semihollowed carve top. But I’m going to test the design before getting into that much detail.

Here the templates and design. I’ll post the neck design later.

Oh, and hopefully I don’t hate the guitar once it’s built.

928703F6-B8ED-4794-844C-559A888869F2.jpeg B988B658-30FE-4430-817D-6163CF1121DA.png

2. Jmwright777

Jmwright777 TDPRI Member

WOW cool rendering! Good luck on the build!

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yes, I saw this yesterday. Can’t wait to see this one underway.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Interesting. Will it really have the grain running diagonally? Wonder if that will affect resonance in any way?

5. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

No it won’t, that’s just the way fusio360 rendered it. I just wanted too see what it looked like with wood.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like the diagonal grain!

I bet it's effect on resonance through emg's and a Marshall would be negligible

7. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Beware building your seam guitar. After you look back and admire your new toy, you suddenly crave more! A new dream guitar will be in your sights. For me, it was an explorer. That was many many guitars ago. It’s an addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tewiq, Macrogats and MrGibbly like this.
  8. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I'm sorry you lost me at "not really a fan of teles".

Just kidding...look forward to seeing the finished product.

Agree with others, diagonal grain looks very nice!

9. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Started messing with the cnc machine. Still trying to work our little issues. Been exporting the .nc file from fusion and running universal g code sender to the xcarve. But it keeps following the center of the lines vs following the outside of the line. So I got to do some more tinkering. BFAADB40-6EA1-441D-A788-85AB0C524DD5.png

However I was debating using extended timers like this guitar usually uses. I tried doing a stranded 3x3 shape but I can’t seem to get the string break to not touch other tuners on the middle 2 strings due to the shape of the headstock.

So I called the company that produced the original tuners for this guitar. They still have the plans laying around and can make me sets for 75$. That’s a little more than I’d like to spend. But I do like the look of the extended tuners.

E0EC1A18-C829-41E1-804D-7C296895C1CA.jpeg 059ACE53-F3BA-4D15-A2A3-5C420CAE116B.png

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    If I had a dime for every time I said that....

:D

Have fun with your build. I look forward to watching.

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  11. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

A guide pin of sorts would easily address your problem for far less than $75.00 and you wouldn't have the need for any custom tuning machines going forward should the need ever arise .

12. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

Your right. But I do really like the clean look of this design. With the string break being perfectly straight.

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not sure what your drawing looks like, but I'm assuming it is a DXF file. If you download CAMBAM, You can open your DXF file and use the machining/engrave setting to cut a single path that is not offset. Then take that gcode to UGS. I use the Mach3 setting and remove extra code that GRBL doesn't interpret. Also, which version of UGS are you using? I use the stable build from a few years ago, not a nightly build.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Bugeater281 and crazydave911 like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting build and I'm always in approval of building what I think I really want!
    The body shape is one of the nicer looks among alternate body styles IMO, and even balances nicely, though for a modern design it oddly limits upper fret access where modern guitars tend to enhance that aspect.
    Still a cool look.

As far as the headstock and tuner placement, we got our obsessions and attractions we can't escape, but I'd be nervous that knocking the D or especially the end of the guitar G tuner against any hard surface would be more likely to rip the pin out of the headstock due to the added leverage provided by the almost triple length button shaft.
    I'm always looking for the weak link and this tends to result in over compensating with extra beef or size etc.
    Then I'm extra careful and don't ding up my guitars all that much, but it does happen that the tuners get knocked into things.

Cool how Sperzel offers custom tuner options like mix & match colors and even shaft lengths.
    I do like the idea of straight string pull but over the years I've concluded that I cannot improve the electric solidbody guitar!
    Pickups, pickup placement, and wiring are still open for debate in my addled brain though...

Bugeater281 likes this.
  15. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

I might have to try this. I was creating the cutting paths in fusion. And it’s a lot more complicated than it should be. Then again I’ve never worked with a cnc machine. So creating the tool paths is new to me, so maybe I’m just bad at it!

16. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

$75 for a custom set of tuners sounds like a bargain to me, considering what non-custom, but higher end tuners go for. Given the design of that headstock you show, the value of appearance that the custom extended tuners will bring would be worth it to me, but that's certainly a subjective thing. I really like that headstock design, BTW.

On your code issue, whatever is creating your toolpaths has got to know where they individually need to track as well as the actual tool diameter. (which may be slightly different by a thou or three from the nominal size) So check within whatever software you are using to create your actual toolpaths and make sure you are selecting the correct outside/inside/on tracking for the tool for the given toolpath. I use Vectric software, so I can't help you with the specifics for whatever you are using.

17. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

They just emailed me. Tuners will actually cost 65. So no complaints from me.

I did not design this guitar . But it’s one of my favorites. There was not many made. And they were 3000+ new. They still bring in 1500+ used. Unfortunately I don’t think the design got the love it deserved due to the price tag.

I did talk to someone who built these guitars. He did say as long as I’m not mass producing them he doubts I’ll be stepping on any toes. Especially since the company no longer produces regular guitars.

However I did have to redesign the neck pocket to my own idea. Due to never even seeing one of these in person. So I doubt this will be anything close to an exact replica.

C486D630-1895-473F-A764-4D2E7C8F02C0.png 07648ADE-F0BF-46A5-B8F9-2213B4ADD5D1.png

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

With using the engrave function, you don't have to worry about the diameter or length of the bit. The toolpath will be at the center of the bit. You can learn the ins and outs of the program later with the offsets and all the other jazz, but engrave keeps it simple. Any software program is going to take some time to learn and the engrave feature allows you to get going sooner.

You know that whatever the diameter of the bit is, you'll get that wide a cut. The depth can be controlled with modifying your gcode in notepad. CAMBam, after your intial 20 or 40 uses, with only work up to 500 lines of code unless you buy a copy. By copying and pasting the resulting GCode in notepad and manually changing the Z, you should be able to do most anything you want.

19. Bugeater281

Bugeater281 Tele-Meister

I noticed this with engrave. I switched to using 2d contour. Which was showing the bit doing the correct thing by following the outside of the line. But it still managed to cut the middle of the line. I just need to figure out how to set the offset.

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Before I go . There is no rule that states that guitar strings must travel in a straight line . That goes for both vertical and horizontal . Oh , what the hey ? I think that you should build it with a zero fret and pull up the leotards of all those that fear anything but conventional BS . Enjoy the build .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.