And Down The Stra-bitt Hole I Go.. NPUD, EMG Content

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by scottser, Nov 15, 2019.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

so i went and bought a bullet strat to satisfy a historic conflict i have had with strats. i don't really like them and i've never had one so in order to make up my mind fully i decided to get one. i got a cheap end hand bullet strat and after a set up, it plays quite nicely as long as i don't even think about touching the tremolo.
    the tone set up is stupid. and i don't really like the cheap pickups as they don't sound nice driven. at least not the way i want it to sound in my head, nice and smooth and tasteful yet raucous like rory gallagher's sound.
    so i got a pickguard loaded with EMG SAs for cheap. from the videos i've seen it should be more like what i'm after. anyone use these in either a strat or a tele?

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I bought an EMG David Gilmore set years ago second hand from a friend.
    Installed it on my MIA Ash body maple board strat.
    Sounded good. Not sure why I wasn't in love with them.
    I sent it along years ago in favor bof a set of Van Zandt pickups.

BB and scottser like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Jeff Beck said He loved his Strat, but it was the hardest guitar to setup. The regular S type pickups aren't wired right, but if you switch the middle pickup tone wire to the bridge pickup and adjust the pickup heights right(start all the way down and adjust up til they all sound good) you can get some great tones. I never was satisfied with mine through a SS amp, had to go Tube.

The Squier ceramic pickups can be good, but they don't always work out depending on the guitar and amp. The only EMG I had was a 85 HB in the bridge of a shredder back in the 80's, didn't care for it much. I thought it was too distorted compared to the passive pickups.

I got a Squier Bullet last month and did this.

Attached Files:

mkdaws32, scottser and ftbtx like this.
  4. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I've begin to like EMG pickups. I put a set of the retroactive Super 77s in an Squier HH Jazzmaster. They sound great.
    I might put an SLV set in my Albert Lee partscaster.

scottser likes this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The SRV set is a set of Texas Specials and I've heard people say they are very bright. That may be true since SRV played with 11 gauge string sets often tuned DADGAD, so bright pickups make sense in that senario if all that's true.

OP, What amp and what gauge strings are you using?

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

So to satisfy a historic conflict with Strats you buy a Bullet and EMG's? I can see why you have that conflict! To each his own I guess!:rolleyes:

8trackmind likes this.
  7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put a set of Tex-Mex pickups in my Affinity Strat - but man those SAs are worth three of those Buller Strats! I did always like SAs, though, and if the bullet plays well and the SAs make you love the guitar even more, I say go for it!

scottser likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

well i got the guitar for very cheap, and i got the pickups pretty cheap. i can't really justify spending a lot of money on a better guitar, i just want to be impressed for as little commitment as possible. my long-term dislike of strats insists that i adopt that position - we'll see.

schmee and mkdaws32 like this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I hear you man. I just find EMG's to be just without a voice at lower volume levels. "Lacking character" maybe is a way to say it. But if you want a pickup to just reproduce sound with no add ons, they are probably good at that.

10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I hear ya about emg pickups. I might even get to kill two birds with one stone..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.