1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ancient egypt books ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Oct 23, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I would like to know more about ancient egpyt, a bit of history, of bit of the religious aspect, a book that would cover a bit of everything.
    Some folks here might know a bit about it, since you guys are interested in a bit of everything.
    Thank you !

2. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I don't have a book recommendation, but this documentary will give you a lot of insight into ancient Egypt.

johnny k likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

The BBC Egypt mini series is very good as an intro...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_(TV_series)

I will also say Assassin's Creed Origins has a ‘museum mode’ and interesting fact stuff alongside the game. :)

‘Travels in Egypt and Nubia’ is Belozoni’s book about his work there. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LD7OMV2/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

We also have Howard Carter’s own book on Tutankhamum dig which is full of all the original pictures from the excavation.

Not read these but would seem a good list: https://fivebooks.com/best-books/ancient-egypt-toby-wilkinson/

Both the Louvre and British Museum websites have lots of info and links and probably notes on other accessible books to get into the culture/detail side.

The Petrie museum at University College London https://www.ucl.ac.uk/culture/petrie-museum and the Egyptology museum in Swansea are more research oriented.

You might start here for specific papers / references

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/digitalegypt// or https://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/c.php?g=423060&p=4720874

My daughter was very into it when younger but went for medicine in the end... but she learned to read hieroglyphs. I forget the book she used but it was a complete guide to it.

my wife listens to podcasts https://www.egyptianhistorypodcast.com/

https://www.historyextra.com/period...gypt-egyptians-pharaohs-pyramids-tutankhamun/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Greggorios and johnny k like this.
  4. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Besides the musea mentioned above, also check out the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.

johnny k likes this.
  5. johnny k

That is a good idea, but cairo is not so close. Except if i can do a virtual tour ?

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've listened/watched this "Great Courses" DVD by a very engaging NY college professor. It's very good and more important is recommended by my wife who is Global Studies teacher. (It's also available as audio only on Audible but the full course on DVD or digital file has a lot of good graphics.) I don't have any affiliation with publisher, The Teaching Co.

The book below I have not read but I remembered good reviews of it.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/history-of-ancient-egypt.html

upload_2020-10-23_8-23-51.png

upload_2020-10-23_8-23-5.png

johnny k and uriah1 like this.
  7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

There are many educational books out there too that walk through all the dynasties.
    I remember in anthropology and archaeology we went through many that
    dive into it at great length, more than general public type.

johnny k and Greggorios like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

johnny k and Greggorios like this.
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I am not an Egyptologist, but I did take Egyptian in graduate school. Not enough to be good at it, though! The Oxford Very Short Introductions series is generally great. I'd start with the one on Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw. There is also one on Egyptian Myth by Geraldine Pinch. And maybe others, too. For getting in on the ground floor, those books can't be beat. For reading Egyptian literature, Miriam Lichtheim's three-volume Ancient Egyptian Literature is still a classic. For an introductory-level overview of ancient Near Eastern religion in general (which includes Egypt, according to his definition), I highly recommend Daniel Snell's Religions of the Ancient Near East.

johnny k likes this.
  10. johnny k

Thanks a lot. Yeah, i am a newbie on that subject, if i can keep it simple with an easy read, i would enjoy it more.

edit book of the dead is 200 chapters. I don't think it is going to come in paper back.

11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I should add that the suggestion of others about virtual tours of artifacts or museums is a great idea. When focusing on ancient cultures, it is still all too common only to look at literature and to give less attention to art, architecture, and iconography. I am a text guy, so I am often guilty of that. Many museums now have virtual tour stuff, and the quality of the photography is normally outstanding. I don't know if the Cairo Museum does, but recall that most of the major ancient Near Eastern artifacts reside in Western Europe, thanks to the colonial efforts of the French, Germans, and English. So the Louvre, the Neues Museum in Berlin, and the British Museum are fantastic places to see Egyptian artifacts, whether in person or virtually. I do not play video games, but I think that the Assassin's Creed suggestion above is seriously legit. It may get you into the feel of the world on the ground. I understand it was very well researched and well done.

johnny k likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The most interesting things you'll find about Egypt are in youtube videos that have not made it into books.
    Classical archeologists are struggling with many of the newer findings and how to keep the old narratives in place but there are many new questions around the findings.

Many of the marvels attributed to Ancient Egypt are more and more likely constructions the Egyptians/others found in place and repurposed.Erosion around the Sphinx, alignments of the Sphinx and pyramids to stars and compass points better match the time period well before the Egyptians.

This is a general summary, easy to find more like this in greater depth of the inconsistencies and questions about the classical historical archaeology understanding.

Piggy Stu and johnny k like this.
  13. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Can't help you on Egypt. Ancient Sumerian books now...

[​IMG]

I know a guy.

[​IMG]

johnny k likes this.
  14. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

i would check their website

johnny k likes this.
  15. johnny k

koen likes this.
  16. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

One of our greates writers, Mika Waltari, wrote a novel: The Egyptian (Sinuhe). Waltari never visited in Egypt, but book is praised being quite accurate. He studied topic a lot. Although there are some parts that are not exactly from that period in real history. Artistic freedom..

I've never read the English version, but it's quite highly regarded internationally too. So fiction, but historical frame and landscape is said being very accurate. Also, really good book.

The_egyptian_finnish.jpg sinuhe-the-egyptian.jpg

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.