Anatomy of a many a bad pedal review

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I am very unhappy with the performance of this tool. It wasn’t cheap. I expected my money’s worth.

First of all I paid top dollar for what I have since learned is 99% a clone of other tools just like this one. They used almost the same design but they used a different clever name. The thing is that the originals never worked for me nailing stuff. I have been searching forever for something that does work for me. I expected things to be different for what I paid for this. For the money this thing should have driven in nails exactly as I wanted it to, right out of the box.

I mostly drive nails at home, in my nailing room. I actually spend more time reading and typing words about nailing on the internet. I have been seeking that perfect nailing tool for 20 years, and for this reason I consider myself an expert. I have tried so many tools and not one of them have matched my perfect nailing experience. Sure, some smarty-pants snobby posters on all the forums do say I should just use a hammer, but that would mean I would have to get a hammer and then get good at hammering. Is it too much to want someone to make a tool that does that for me?

So, I sneaked it past the wife and unboxed it and took it to my nailing room. It turned out it was way harder to nail with this than I thought - again. This product worked terribly and got a bit beat up almost immediately. You can see the pictures below. This was a huge disappointment. This kind of shoddy craftsmanship is not acceptable for what I paid.

I called customer service and I was told they couldn’t replace or refund this purchase because a) I bought it used, and b) it wasn’t defective. They tried to tell me some [email protected] about it being intended for wrenching, and that although you can technically nail things with it that they don’t recommend using it for the kind of nailing I want to do. People should stand behind their products and fix or replace everything for me, for free, every time. They will never get my money again. I spent more time on the phone with customer service and writing this review than I did trying to use the thing.

I think I am going to list it on Reverb for $40 more than a new one costs and then add $25 shipping. That way I can get my money back plus more and then order a more expensive nailing tool next month.

w1images.jpg
vintage-diamond-tool-horseshoe-co_1_b0c38fad849fd606067701c4ef40e044.jpg
wrench_wide.jpg

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Actually the newer tool is two separate pieces, the nail holder as you've shown. Further back is the adjustable nail hole holder and then you use the following to hammer the nail.

1651844731350.png

Sadly many actually throw the box away without locating the hammer. Hope this helps.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The problem with pedals and pedal reviews is the same. The guy playing through the pedal. Call a pedal what you will and claim it does whatever and you still won’t sound like your guitar hero because you’re not him, or her. Period. Practice. Develop your own sound and style. Then use a pedal to add to it. A pedal won’t recreate greatness. Sorry folks.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
I watched a review of a guitar by someone who a lot of you would know from youtube. He actually took points off because he didn't like the color! He also took points off because the guitar didn't have a twang bar bridge or some such thing that is not a quality/ performance issue. The individual in question lost all credibility for me that day. This is someone who struck me as pretty savvy until then.

Last edited:

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
The problem with pedals and pedal reviews is the same. The guy playing through the pedal. Call a pedal what you will and claim it does whatever and you still won’t sound like your guitar hero because you’re not him, or her. Period. Practice. Develop your own sound and style. Then use a pedal to add to it. A pedal won’t recreate greatness. Sorry folks.
For me it's all about buying stuff and being unsatisfied.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Speaking of tools.
I have a vintage hatchet that I’d like to sell.
It was once owned by George Washington.
The only thing that’s been replaced on it is the handle and the head.
Y’all let me know if you’re interested.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Nailed it.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
No modern nailing tool even comes close to the nailing tools made in the '50s and '60s.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
IME nailing with wrenches is just better for my workflow than using hammers. You don’t need to find the most expensive wrench, just a tried and true design. I’ve gotten used to it over the years and it allows me to save on space too. Right now I’m using an inexpensive option off of amazon and it works great. Maybe you’re just not a wrench guy? Have you tried a screwdriver?