1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Analogman Tele Nervana!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bill Hullett, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Bill  Hullett

Bill Hullett Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hi Guys.....
    A couple of weeks ago I got an Analogman Bi-Comp compressor and I can't hold it back any longer,
    I've owned MXR script pedals , MXR block logo pedals, and most recently last couple of years have used a Keeley....none of these are bad by any stretch...but I have to tell you that the Bi-Comp is soooooooo much better its almost stupid...

The jist of the pedal is that its two compressors in one
    #1 being his "improved version of a Ross comp (boy did he ever beat it)
    #2 is his version of an old Dan Armstrong Orange Squeeze (I never played an original but I'll tell you this one jumps a little harder on the front end of the note (a perfect elec 12 string or serious agressive in tele sound It'll put you in P90 territory very easily...)
    It definatley makes the Tele have even a wider range ....

The clarity of signal jumps out at me and makes me wonder how he does it. and it can be set ( Ross side) to where it doesn't feel like you have a comp hooked up on the front of the note (the attack) but at the same time the sustain will be incredible ( I mean almost infinite) on the back end of the note ...
    AND I can't get over either how its making all my other pedals in the board sound so much better ! its like I haven't heard the true potential of it all until now ....The Expandora can play chords and still be clear more like an amp overdriving and I can run delay with distortion now if I choose and it all stays clear and focused......Add the Bi Comp and the Bad Bob together (thanks Robbie for another world class pedal) and you may have the best sounding input signal to an amp on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In my studio I have a Tube Tech CL1 tube compressor ($2500) and I think that this pedal beats it for guitar duties....The Tele is alive, spanky, and clear....very clear...(this part of the description is probably the most vauge , but its the only way I can describe it)

Thanks to Analogman! What a compressor!

Bill Hullett

2. TopHatTele

TopHatTele TDPRI Member

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the info! I have been looking for something better than my CS3. When I tried out a Keeley, I could never get it out of squash mode. I will give the Analogman a look.

3. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

If that is the case, definitely try the Analogman compressor. I have used a Mini Bicomp for years and it was the first compressor I was ever able to dial out the "squash" to my liking and still have endless sustain.

If you look into a Bicomp or a Comprossor, check out the 1/2 SS mod Analogman can incorporate in to the pedal. It basically adds some mods that were included in the Way Huge Saffron Squeeze compressor which was also a Ross clone.

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm

take care,
    Robbie Wallace
    RGW Electronics

4. Steve McGinnis

Steve McGinnis Tele-Afflicted

I bought one two weeks ago

I bought one last week because it was only 170 and I figured I could flip it for more on ebay. It turns out I like it so much I am keeping it. Great pedal!

There is one negative to the fullsize Bi-Comprosser though, right now there is a waiting list for one. I am not sure how long the wait is, just an FYI for those looking to get one.

5. Bill  Hullett

Robbie!

ROBBIE.....
    I totally forgot (upon your well given advice!!) that I had that mod!!!!

Stupid ......Stupid.....Stupid! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Bill Hullett

6. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

Bill,

Nice review. I've never considered a comp. Any chance of posting a few clips?

7. Guido

Guido TDPRI Member

Hey Bill:

Is the sound similar to the old Lab Series L5 amps from the late 70s,? that's what I play my Tele Through.

Thanks

8. Bill  Hullett

bi-comp

Kingtone....
    I've got to run up to Chicago for a couple of days this week , but I just might try to do that when I get back

Guido....I never played thru a Lab amp so I have no way to compare...BUT....as sophisticated as this compressor acts, I have my doubts that it would be beaten .

Bill Hullett

9. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

Thanks Bill, Your 1st class all the way!

10. Spidercaster

Spidercaster Tele-Afflicted

11. Guido

Guido TDPRI Member

Hey Bill:

Thanks... The Lab L5 is what Ray Flacke uses, the way you described it sound like how the compressor on a Lab works, though the Lab does sustain in does not hold for long periods, and it's preset, you can roll in lighter settings or turn it off...I like that effect though, I'll have to try out the one you were talking about.

Take care have a good trip...Do miss seing you play every weeknight on TNN

12. Bill  Hullett

Whoa.....

Watch it Guido!.....Now you just told everyone that we're BOTH really old!!!!:lol:

Bill Hullett

13. teletard

teletard Tele-Meister

robbie. can you tell me about the saffron mods that can be done and what they do to make it sound better.

14. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

The mods are done by Analogman, I don't know the specifics of the actual parts involved but here is some info from his site:

"Way Huge had made the Saffron Squeeze pedal in the mid 1990s, which was also based on the Ross compressor. These are very popular and tend to sell for even more than an original Ross compressor. Different transistors (and a few capacitors) were used and some capacitors are added. We are able to offer our comprossor with these specs by special request if you are familiar with the Saffron Squeeze. We can also do the Dyna/ross mod to Saffron Squeeze specs at the same price as our standard Dyna/Ross mod. But the newfangled transistors used in the Saffron Squeeze are not as steady and smooth, so we prefer not doing 100% SS specs. If you wish we can do 1/2 SS specs, just the good parts of the Saffron Squeeze and the good Ross type transistors where they work better."

As far as using the pedal myself I can tell you that it is much smoother than other Ross/Dynacomp clones I have tried.

I think the 1/2 SS mods smooth things out a bit and allow the attack to be a little more gentle.

Ex Black Crowes guitarist Marc Ford is another person who uses a Mini Bicomp with the 1/2 SS mods.

take care,
    Robbie Wallace
    RGW Electronics

15. tightbidness

tightbidness TDPRI Member

Nice review Bill. I have a few questions for you and Robbie and other Bi-Comp users. Do you use them independently or together? Does one side excell at steel-like tones or Nile Rogers/Chic rhythm guitar? I used to own one of the original, big box CompROSSors (foolishly sold it in favor of something else) and found it colored my sound in a really smooth and musical way. But Analog Mike's description of the Juicer makes it sound appealing too.

16. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Personally I would never use them together because that is just too over the top. But really the coolest MiniBicomp feature of all is having two discrete compressors in one box. I have long been a fan of the Orange Squeezer circuit. Guys like Skunk Baxter and Mark Knopfler swear by these.

The Orange Squeezer gets a very distinct tone that doesn't have the endless sustain you get from a Ross clone, but it just has a great attack and gives things a really cool punchy sound.

Either side could be set to get a great Nile Rodgers funky "strat rhythm" tone. A lot of 70's studio guitarist supposedly loved recording with the Orange Squeezer.

take care,
    Robbie Wallace

17. analogmike

analogmike Tele-Meister

Thanks for the post Bill, glad you like it!!!!

Marc Ford got one last week just like Bill's, but has only used it a few times so I would not claim he's really using it yet.

Here are some video clips we took with a cheap handheld camera at my shop last week, gives you some idea what it sounds like. Appropriately enough Marc chose my '69 parts Tele instead of my '59 Les Paul reissue. There are more sound clips on my website on the compressor page.

Enjoy!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K7uW41CL8m0

[​IMG]

18. Spidercaster

Spidercaster Tele-Afflicted

Very cool. Thanks for posting the clip Mike.

19. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Is the wait list one year??

20. Robbie W

Robbie W Tele-Holic

Only for the large box Bi Comp's. The Mini BiComps in the smaller enclosures have no wait list that I am aware of.

take care,
    Robbie

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.