analog non-digital 10 watts combo for bedside jamming

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by albatros, May 13, 2019.

1. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a small combo for jazz-blues jamming along with backtracks in my bedroom.

I can't stand modelling-amp nor low-wattage tube-amps.

I think I would have fun shaping my tone only with amp controls rather than with a bunch of pedals.

What do you think about VOX Pathfinder 10 & ORANGE Crush 12?

Thanks in advance

Francesco

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

Does it have to be a combo?, the Hotone Nano heads sound great, have full EQ, gain, master, an aux in and an FX loop. Couple that with a decent 8" or 10" cab and away you go. Don't bother with the tiny Hotone cab. It's well made, but that's about the end of it.

I've no experience of the little Vox. The Orange is OK. You do know you'll get plenty of other random recommendations too, including the Blackstar Fly 3 stereo and Katana Mini.
    Laney have recently released a range of mini amps that may bear looking in to too.

Have fun with your hunt.

The Angle and bgmacaw like this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I owned a Crush 12.. I'd be interested to see what I could do with one today but at the time I thought it was horrific.

Hard to get a clean sound, dirty sounds were not great, tons and tons of hum & noise. It is hard to believe any low wattage tube amp could be worse than the Crush 12.

One of the Vox NuTube amps would be on my radar. Mini Superbeetle, etc..

There was some non-tube, non-modeling SS Vox people rave about here.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Marshall DSL20CR has a half power option and all manner of clean, crunchy and dirty tones and reverb as well as a silent recording function.

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Ciao, Francesco. One of my granddaughters decided she wanted to play guitar. She lives in Sugar Land, TX, about 200 miles away, so I couldn't be a part of giving her regular lessons, or helping pick a guitar. Her parents took her to a store up there, and she chose an Epiphone LP. I'm not sure why they didn't get an amp at the same time, but they were down that same weekend (they have a house here in Corpus Christi as well).

So I took my granddaughter to the local GC to help her shop for an amp. Now I have 3 Vox Pathfinder 15Rs, so when we were in the store, I made sure she tried out the Pathfinder 10. She also was interested in Orange (her guitar instructor in Sugar Land either had or had recommended Orange). She and I both played through both the Pf10 and the Orange 12. She chose the Orange.

Based on that experience, I'd say either one could work. Orange is better at crunch and less known for cleans, but you can get decent cleans out of it. I've heard jazz played on an Orange (35RT). I don't remember any significant hum and noise issues, as beninma experienced. The Pathfinder 10 also is capable of decent cleans, and can be warm. I would favor the Vox but would also say Orange could be a good choice, too. Especially if you're just talking about a practice amp/jamming at home.

My number one recommendation would be a Vox Pathfinder 15R, if you can find it. Vox also made a Pathfinder 15 EXR that was available in Europe or the UK; that version had a 10" speaker instead of an 8" speaker, but same chassis. Next to that, I'd say the Vox Mini Super Beetle. I don't own the MSB, but I've test driven one 4 times now. In my opinion the Pathfinder 15R is better than the MSB, but since the 15R has been discontinued for 6 years, I consider the MSB to be Vox' best candidate to replace a Pathfinder 15R.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Crush 35RT is a way way way nicer amp than the Crush 12. I've played the 35RT significant # of hours as well. The 35RT is too loud for this application though. The 20/20RT are a lot nicer than the 12 as well. The 12 does not have a dedicated clean channel + dirty channel like the 20/20RT/35RT and that seems to be part of it's downfall.

Some of the noise issues could have been my environment. I have a much better setup these days.. changed out the Fluorescent light bulbs for LEDs, and I have a Furman SS-6B and such.

I have a Rocker 15 these days.. I can plug directly into the Rocker 15 and set it up clean and you barely hear any noise, the Crush 12 would hum & buzz like you had the gain maxed out and had a Fuzz pedal plugged in and dimed as well. I actually traded the Crush 12 in on the Rocker.. a fairly ridiculous trade up given the price difference but as soon as I turned it on it was worth it.

albatros likes this.
  7. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Thank you
    I didn
    --------------------------------------

Thank you.
    I didn't know Hotone Heads.
    They seem quite good, but they exceed my budget for a bedroom amp.

8. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

----------------

I already owned a Path 15, but I never tried the 10 W model
    I ask you: is the 10 similar or worst than the 15?
    Thanks

9. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Thank you.
    Vox Nutube are surely better, but they exceed my budget for a bedroom amp, especially with their own cabinet.
    Bye Francesco

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The new mk2 Blackstar ht1, 5 and 20 can be knocked down to .5 and 1 watt. I would get one of those or the 1 watt that can be reduced to .5 watts.
    If on a tighter budget the fly 3 is a cool sounding amp that works great for running the tv or laptop through too with the stereo pack.
    Both great sounding and simple to use, no manual required and no crazy menu/ wide aray of knobs to navigate.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    schenkadere and Lake Placid Blue like this.
  11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Buongiorno

My choice is Yamaha THR10 all day

12. Mojo Brown

Mojo Brown TDPRI Member

One of my students uses a Kustom 12 gauge. Pretty damn solid for under 100.

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  13. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Blackstar Fly 3 or Pignose.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

I have a Pathfinder 10 and I really like it. Clean channel is very good, crunch channel nearly useless. There is an easy LED mod that helps make the crunch channel more manageable, but not sure it's needed. I can't compare it to a Pathfinder 15, since I've never owned one, but I enjoy and use the P10 regularly.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Unlike rockymtnguitar, I've never owned a Pathfinder 10. I own and use daily my Pf 15Rs. On two separate occasions, I have tried out in stores the Pf 10. I would say that, yes, the 10 is similar to the 15, but has noticeable differences. I agree with rockymtnguitar that the clean tones are good, but crunch, not so much. The 6.5" speaker in the Pf 10 isn't as efficient as the 8" Bulldog in the Pf 15R. And there is no reverb or tremolo, no footswitch jack or extension out. It does have a head phones/line out input on the top panel, but I've never tried it, so I don't know how it sounds.

But for a practice/bedroom amp, you probably don't need a footswitch jack or an output for an extension cabinet. Still, I would say the 15R sounds better than the 10, comparing clean, dry signal to clean dry signal, and I would definitely miss reverb and tremolo.

nojazzhere and albatros like this.
  16. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Pathfinder 10 is my favourite amp. I play it much more often than my Deluxe Reverb

17. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

not analog, but it might be the tool you seek:
    upload_2019-5-14_10-2-3.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RBMPZW/?tag=tdpri-20

here's an owner's take from the reviews:

Verified Purchase
    I have had 3 of these. Yes, 3. I bought the JS-8 and really loved it. But being a guitar enthusiast more than a really good player, I change a lot:) So I sold the Js-8 to a friend while I concentrated on a tube amp setup. Then, about a year later, I desired the JS-10 and purchased one. I liked it but again went with a newer tube amp model and eventually sold the JS-10.

That was over 1 year ago. After much playing, working with pedals and setups, testing the Fractal FX-series and the Kemper head (both about 2 grand), I finally decided that what provides my real need, playing style, and life, is the JS-10. Here's why...

I love 4x12 cabinet sounds, tube heads, delay/phaser/chorus pedals, and I have used a Rockcrusher attenuator so I can dime out the amp volume without losing any tone. But I do not play in a band. I play only at home and 99% with no one ever hearing or seeing me. I don't need the big stuff. But I like the sound of the big stuff. So, I simply use the JS-10 with speakers attached, along with internal speakers and BOOM - the sound is awesome. The range is more in line with house speakers so the sound is more all/everywhere. It is near - not exactly - but nearly what the amp setup is.

The JS-10 has so many features that I like that the Amp setup do not have - like an auxiliary input, song looping, tuner, headphone jack, and so many effects that can be tweaked galore.

Also, for my taste, I can just sit and play by dialing in the presets available.

I am now selling all of my other gear. The JS-10 is my go to from here on out.
    Read less
    5 people found this helpful

18. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Too dark sounding to my taste
    Thank you

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I am always surprised that anyone actually ever plays guitar in a bedroom. Been playing guitar since 1957, but never once in a bedroom. Just seems to be a strange place to play guitar (even if just an acoustic).

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There were some Fender Frontman amps, I don't think they're made anymore, I think the numbers were 15 and 25 and some others, they had spring reverb tanks. You might find one used.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.