1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Analog Man Jim Weider Big-T Telecaster neck pickup - comparison

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by xhqm4457, Jan 25, 2015.

1. xhqm4457

xhqm4457 TDPRI Member

So this pickup looks REALLY interesting - more power, but no loss of high's or clarity. The description is as if it's totally a unique pickup.

I've been doing some reading on the Analog Man website and others, and it seems like the comparison is usually against the standard old vintage Tele neck pick (not much output, muddy, etc.). That's a great place to start, but most of the good pickup winders out there already have a Tele neck pickup that has solved all the "issues" most people have with the original (sorry - I know some of you like the original and that's great if you do - no disrespect here).

My question is for those who have actually had both a Weider Big-T and also had one of the "upgraded" Tele pickups out there that could make a fair comparison (i.e. Dimarzio Twang King, one of the Duncan's, Don Mare's, Fender Twisted-Tele or Nocaster, Lollar's, Klein's, Barden's - all all the other usual suspects).

So - in terms of output, clarity, and over all tone - how does it compare to these other great pickups? Does it have something these others don't, or is the Big-T really just another great Tele neck pickup choice among many?

Would love to get your opinion. I have a Dimarzio Twang King neck pickup and think it's pretty great. I'm always looking to improve and saw the Big-T and got excited, but I hate to buy one based on the description only to get something very similar to what I already have. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

2. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

I tried it, its a nice pickup, but if you're looking for a significant increase in volume, you may be a trifle underwhelmed.

3. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I have both the neck and bridge Big T in my Tele. I've also tried other high output single coil neck pickups from Di Marzio, Duncan and Harmonic Design. IMO, the Big T neck is the best of the bunch. High output, yet not muddy. To my ear, the frequency response is kind of scooped, with full bass and clear, crisp highs. Also, it's output is more closely matched to the bridge pup than any other single coil I've ever tried. Price might be an issue, though.

4. bananafist

bananafist Tele-Meister

Haven't actually tried the Big T, but considered one (very expensive with shipping and duty to the UK.) In the end I tried a used Twisted Tele neck pickup on recommendations from this forum. Problem cured for me, very strat-like, clear, clean, no woolliness. I think you may find the Dimarzio you have does the same job, really.

5. gearjunkie

gearjunkie Tele-Meister

Sorry for reopening old thread but I'm wondering about same thing..

currently in my 2014 52RI, using Lindys blues epciaal in the neck and his steel pole 42 bridge, and although they both sound great for the classic rock and blues running mostly through a 5watt swart str, I find as warm and creamy as the BS neck is, I'd like "more output" while still retaining similar tonal characteristics.. wondering if the Weider Big T Neck might be too clear and bright for what I'm after..

I have a bunch of different tele bridges and figured I could get something to match up with whatever neck I decide on..

Has anyone used both of these Neck pickup options..

Thanks in advance

6. Mr. Papa

Mr. Papa TDPRI Member

I'd also like to know how these stack up to Florance, DiMarzio, or any of the other newer neck pickups or bridge / neck sets in offering a more usable neck and middle tone. I'm leaning toward Florance at the moment based on past experience.

7. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Holic

I tried one, and was disappointed. Not a great increase in output.
    I eventually bought the Seymour Duncan "hot for tele" model, and removed the cover. This brightened it up, so it retained it's punch, but didn't sound overwound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.