Ana Popovich at Harvelles in Long Beach

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Jul 1, 2012.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

So I had the great pleasure of seeing this great looking gal on Friday night. She is one hot woman and she looks great for just having a baby 4 weeks ago.

She had a new band, drummer, bass, keyboards and they were tight. She was playing her two Strats through a 4X10 Tweed Bassman with a Vox Wah, a Tube Screamer and another pedal I couldn't tell. The roadie told me they rent everything except the guitars. Her Strats were a custom shop sunburst reliced one and a Fiesta red 57 classic style one. I have to look at my photos to be sure.

I will post later todday to show some photos. I flew out right after the show to attend another festival and I'll be back this afternoon.

The girl can play.

2. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

At first I thought, the Tennis player is a blues player? :lol:

This Fiesta Red Strat?

3. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I'd heard of her but that's the first time I've heard her. I really like this--not just the same old SRV blues licks over and over again--something a little different and cool. I will have to check out more of her music.

4. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I can see how a Serb might know the blues. She's incredible.

5. dented

So my camera started to malfunction on this night but I have some shots. The camera has been good for about 10,000 photos so I guess I got my moneys worth. I have 3 vids but again the camera was acting up so I have to edit those.

She is hot and she rocks.

Attached Files:

6. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

A woman dressed like a stripper playing the blues...wow...what will they think of next?

Not sayin' it's bad...just sayin...

7. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

A straight black cocktail dress to the knees is stripper clothes :confused: I've been to a lot parties with strippers and didn't know it :cool:

8. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I saw Ana once maybe 6-7 years ago and she was playing an Olympic White CS 1960 Relic Strat and a late 60's tele through a Bassman. I've lusted after that strat since.

About a year later I saw her again but the tele was nowhere to be seen and she was playing through an older Mesa piggyback.

If you get the chance check her out, she one heck of an artist. I'd say more in line with Hendrix and some acid jazz than straight blues. This was a few years ago though.

I managed to get one pic from the first show. Micheal Burke's Blues Mob opened for her.

[​IMG]

9. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

She could start stripping :lol:

10. Rusrant

Rusrant Tele-Meister

Why even say it? She's a great player and attractive woman. She look's nothing like a stripper!!!

11. dented

That's the Strat. The one I saw had a Custom Shop logo on the back of the headstock and a signature at the top on front.

12. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I have tried to like her, but don't for some reason. Just me, I guess. A platform shoe on a wah wah pedal doesn't do anything for me. As far as her playing, it's good, no doubt, but not very original. We've heard it all before.

13. dented

Each show is different. She wore 4-5" spiked heels and no problem negotiating the stage. Her playing might not be original but unless you were there you would have to say it was soulful. She throws her head back and plays, and attacks the blues in the song she is playing. She might not be a master but she plays a wonderful rendition of blues within her own talent limits. She doesn't pretend to be someone else. She just plays.

14. DrumBob

I know she can play, and if you like her, that's perfectly Ok with me.

Please understand that I spent about five or six years pretty much listening to nothing but contemporary blues while I was writing for Blues Revue and Blues Access magazines years ago. My mailbox was literally full of blues CDs every week. There were a handful of guitar players with new blues I found really well done from a musical standpoint, like Carl Weathersby, Luther Allison and John Primer. The remainder were mostly forgettable, derivative, boring, or downright terrible. There were too many SRV wannabes like Albert Cummings and his ilk, and Walter Trout, who turns every song into a Stratocaster orgy. Then, there were the black soul/blues guys recording with synths and drum machines. Hello? What? That's when I said, "Enough of this sh**!" I burned out on it. I took almost every contemporary blues or blues/rock CD I had and traded them in at the used CD store.

I just can't bring myself to listen to much contemporary blues/rock guitar playing anymore. It's all been done already. Joe Bonamassa is an exception, and so is Derek Trucks. Otherwise, if I want blues, it's the classic stuff: B.B., Wolf, Albert Collins, Albert King, Luther, Butterfield, Robert Johnson, Son House, Rory Block, etc.

15. dented

I used to print all of the T-shirts for Blues Revue Magazine. I got that contract after a Kenny Wayne Shepherd concert at Avalon.

As far as the blues is concerned I think you need to broaden your horizons.

"I know she can play, and if you like her, that's perfectly Ok with me."

Yeah thanks. Any guitar player that can throw their head back and hit note after note in the style they are playing is okay with me. She doesn't copy anyone and she is refreshing to the audience who has been consumed by attacking blues guitarists. The fact that she is appealing to the eye is even more refreshing.

But I digress, I am only thinking of my own impressions of her show.

16. DrumBob

My horizons are very broad, thank you, and don't include much blues these days out of choice. I may come back to blues in a bigger way someday, but not now.

One thing I've noticed whenever the subject of Ana comes up is, her looks. I've tried to steer clear of this topic as not to sound sexist, to judge her strictly on musical merits, but if you want to know the truth, she doesn't appeal to me at all from a physical standpoint. A lot of guys think she's hot. They're entitled to their opinions, of course. She leaves me cold.

Again, like her if you wish. I choose not to. End of story.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  17. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

live long enough and you have heard everything before. TWICE.

18. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I kind of have to agree. As much as I have liked her live, I could never come back and get excited about her recordings. Modern blues does this to me. I respect it, and it's fun. But I just can't get into it anymore, the individualism just isn't there, with exceptions as always.

Someone being attractive has never been enough to make me like music either.

19. DrumBob

I agree completely. Modern blues, for the most part, is a rehash of everything that's gone down within the genre already. I grew so sick of what I was hearing when I was reviewing blues CDs, that I almost totally turned myself off to blues, with the exception of the Delta and Chicago classics. I can still isten to Muddy Waters' Hard Again, but don't ask me to listen to a guy like Albert Cummings or Monster Mike Welch, neither of whom have one shred of originality in their bodies.

I was really into Deborah Coleman when she was fresh on the scene, partly because I was attracted to her physically. I thought she was a knockout. Then I listened to her discs with a little more care, met her and saw her live. Then it was all over. She just wasn't that good.

20. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar experience with Sue Foley, Drumbob.

Sitting here trying to think who plays blues that i'd really like to see. Anders Osborne or Carolyn Wonderland come to mind. But i really haven't been excited about anyone since the Red Devils in the early 90's with Paul Size. There was a band.

Ana sure is pretty.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.