1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An unexpected, unwanted break from playing the guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by StolenBlackMesa, Jan 16, 2021.

1. StolenBlackMesa

StolenBlackMesa TDPRI Member

So Thursday I was in a wrestling match. Did pretty well. Crowd went wild, then they didn’t. Got taken down right in my locked arm. I can say that the elbow only wants to bend one way, but still can go any way it’s forced to go it seems.

Anyway, seems I’m gonna be a one handed harmonica guy for a while. 3 fractures in my elbow doesn’t allow for a huge range of motion. Especially not in the dominant hand

2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear it. I hope you heal up quickly and get back to playing guitar soon!

As someone who has sustained a lot of damage over the years I feel that I should warn you - that’s probably going to hurt all the time when you get older.

Dereksys38, 1955, RobRiggs and 2 others like this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

4. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I feel your pain. I was unable to play guitar for 9 months due to some nerve issues. Not sure how I survived. A procedure on my neck finally allowed me to get back to playing. I am about 80% back to where I was even though I still have limited feeling in my thumbs and index fingers. Thankfully, dexterity is pretty good and I can at least hold a pick without dropping it now. Hang in there. Do what the Docs tell you and you will be back in action soon.

5. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Wrestling is a great sport, hope you heal up fine.

1955 likes this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Ouch! Do everything your PT prescribes. Discuss your guitar playing with your PT, as there may be exercises specific to guitar playing movements.

As @Steerforth alludes and Indiana Jones said "it's not the age, it's the mileage"...or words to that effect. Get well soon!

dougstrum and Steerforth like this.
  7. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sorry to hear this. As a Dad who watched his son get his elbow hyperextended during a State Wrestling Championship match (no break, fortunately), I winced just reading your description.

Is it on your fretting, or picking hand/arm?

- Bob

1955 likes this.
  8. StolenBlackMesa

Fretting arm. I’m a lefty in everything else so I’ve lost fretting, drawing, mostly writing. It’s great

1955 likes this.
  9. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Grim news! Wrestling, judo, ju-jitsu and I guess a bunch of other such sports aren’t necessarily always compatible with guitar-playing. I’ve been lucky not to pick up any significant judo-related injuries in my time on the mat but it’s always a chance that comes with these activities!

At least your story has a bit more drama to it than a friend of mine who got himself 6 months or so off guitar-playing when he ruptured a tendon in his middle finger... while grouting the kitchen floortiles...

IMadeYouReadThis, 1955 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I sorry for your pain. I can sympathize: I took a header off the stairs in the loading dock of the studio a week ago Friday while loading in my instruments. My heda formed a skidplate that slowed me down enough for my knees to land second. I ended up with a busted forehead that leaked (I'm on a blood thinner), swollen knees, and bruises everywhere. But like a whiplash injury, my left wrist has begun hurting this week like a sprain, especially when I play guitar. I'm in a brace and missing playing.

Have you ever tried to manipulate a TV remote with a brace on? Funny stuff happens.

Bob

1955 likes this.
  11. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I understand ... I used to wrestle .

1955 likes this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Sorry to hear about your injury. Get well soon.

13. StolenBlackMesa

Thanks for the support guys. Going on Monday to get the word in what happens going forward

tarheelbob likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry for the injury, @StolenBlackMesa ......not gonna say I TOLD YOU SO.......:(

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Dang hoss!
    Get better quick.

16. StolenBlackMesa

How hard would it be to use this time to start on that Partscaster I’ve been planning on? Had an amp coming in too...

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Give it time, etc!!
    Sorry to hear that.

12 yrs ago broke both arms running

IMadeYouReadThis and superjam144 like this.
  18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

My wrestling coach came to visit me in the hospital after I broke my arm in half on the mat.

I’m not going to tell you what he said about my other hand, but I can tell you that wrestlers eat nails. I was a wrestler for several years (from 8-12 grade,) and it is one of the toughest sports there is.

Injury comes with the territory, but so does fortitude and grit. It builds better men.

I still hear my coach in my head, helped me all through life.

“Shake it off!”

“Pay the price!”

Heal up soon.

19. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

You’re supposed to run with your legs! Hahaha just kidding. Seriously, though, how did that happen?

20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Retired RN. When I worked psychiatric inpatient nursing a violent pt. code was called on a male patient who was being monitored by female staff inthe gymnasium at our old state psychiatric facility.

Many others, doctors included who were in the main building and heard the code and immediately ran over to the other building a hundred+ yards away.

Being a runner for over 600 years, I was one of the ones in the lead but I tripped- and the instinct is a stick both arms out to help stop the fall hahaha, which I stupidly did!!

Didn't think I'd be able to play guitar again because the type of break both arms were, but I was able.
    While healing I played the guitar on my lap like Jeff Healey, well not quite like him!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    drmordo, superjam144 and 1955 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.