1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An unexpected improvement

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 1 21 gigawatts, Apr 18, 2021.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

My Squire SE had a flaw that bothered me for awhile. The trem claw holes were drilled wrong which positioned the claw way off center. Since the Squire claw is shorter than the Fender, I was hoping that using the longer claw would only require redrilling one hole.

I purchased the Fender Pure Vintage claw and springs and just finished installing them. Happily, the hole placement worked out where I did only have to drill one hole, and it was far enough away from the original to not cause any problems. It looks much better than before. I already had the MIM trem assembly, so now the entire trem system is Fender.

As an added benefit, I swear that it now sounds better too. I can't imagine that the vintage springs could make a difference in sound, but it definitely sounds more resonant. Well worth the $12!

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Does it have a fatter trem block in it? I put a steel block/steel saddle Wilkinson unit in my Strat and noticed a large improvement. I now do that to all my Strat type guitars along with a Tusq XL nut. Those 2 mods make them sound better and play better.

Realigning the claw and better quality claw and springs would make for better sound due to having a better setup alignment for the tremolo.

3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Yes. The MIM trem assembly (with full sized steel block) was the first thing that I did to it. I lived with the misaligned trem claw figuring that it really didn't matter, but it finally bugged me enough to fix it. I didn't expect any real improvement other than looks, but unless it is just in my head, it sure sounds better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.