An old man reviews The Old Man…

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think it streams on Hulu and it’s originally on FX.

Since there has only been two episodes so far I’ll make this short and sweet.

If you like Jeff bridges? You’re in. I do so I’m in!

Lithgow is also in it and when is he ever bad?

A guy that was in the CIA and/or some type of covert ops has been a civilian for the past 30+ years. Suddenly circumstances require him to go into “spook” mode once again.

There are some scenes that beg a little suspension of disbelief, such as a dude of Bridges age credibly tussling with some guy in his 30s but, we’ll give him that.

I like it so far!

I’m also very glad to see Jeff bridges looking healthy and supposedly on the mend from a “big C“ diagnosis a couple years back.

And, full disclosure , I’m 58, feel like 78, and Bridges is early 70’s and has the swagger of a 45 yr old.

Last edited:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I like it. For much the same reasons. Not seeing it to be anything earthshakingly good or different at this point, but it's fun. The dogs are cool. I'm so into streaming series now its a PITA to wait a week for an episode, you forget what's going on!

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I love Jeff. I can't think of a movie I've ever seen him in that I didn't like. As for Lithgow, back in the 80's I was in LA for a little bit. I'm stopped at a traffic light and I look over to my left, and there's John Lithgow!!! I had just seen him in a movie called The Manhattan Project, and darn if it wasn't him! He looked at me, smiled with that unmistakable smile, nodded his head in acknowledgement, and the light turned green. He turned left, I went strait. It was cool to see him in real life, and he looked exactly like he did in that film I'd just seen LOL!! ;)

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's

A guy that was in the CIA and/or some type of covert ops has been a civilian for the past 30+ years. Suddenly circumstances require him to go into “spook” mode once again.

There are some scenes that beg a little suspension of disbelief, such as a dude of Bridges age credibly tussling with some guy in his 30s but, we’ll give him that.

I like it so far!

I’m also very glad to see Jeff bridges looking healthy and supposedly on the mend from a “big C“ diagnosis a couple years back.

And, full disclosure , I’m 58, feel like 78, and Bridges is early 70’s and has the swagger of a 45 yr old.
This is my favorite post of recent days and a very fine assessment of Jeff Bridges. He's one of my favorite actors if not THE favorite.

I'm the same age as Mike, only I feel 88. (Dupont work schedule, look it up lol).

MrClint

Tele-Holic
I think a really cool reveal was exposed here (I won't repeat it). I sat in on the first episode without any prior knowledge of the plot or story line, as I like to do. I almost bailed as it was pretty slow to develop, OK he's old -- join the club, but once it got going into the main story arc, I was all in. The pacing and the way that the story is being told is very watchable. Story first, then actors. I see garbage lately with good actors telling a really weak story. Not so here, this one is highly recommended.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

I like it so far!

When I was 72 I could still reach all of the par 3s on the courses I play and be close enough to the fives to throw a birdie wedge in tight. THEN 75 happened! I had a friend who told me that 75 was the magic number where you started rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, and he sure enough knew what he was talking about. I'm not kicking 'cause I'm still getting around pretty good for a 79-year-old. Heck some of them would have to move a lot of dirt to move around at all.

Euphonica

Tele-Meister
I worked with Jeff on a movie back in 2008 and he was AMAZING to see. Effortless and seamless work. He brought his little panoramic camera and took a few shots. He had to turn his body when snapping! Apparently he has a coffee table book of photos from that camera.

I love Jeff. I can't think of a movie I've ever seen him in that I didn't like. As for Lithgow, back in the 80's I was in LA for a little bit. I'm stopped at a traffic light and I look over to my left, and there's John Lithgow!!! I had just seen him in a movie called The Manhattan Project, and darn if it wasn't him! He looked at me, smiled with that unmistakable smile, nodded his head in acknowledgement, and the light turned green. He turned left, I went strait. It was cool to see him in real life, and he looked exactly like he did in that film I'd just seen LOL!! ;)
I just saw that movie for the first time two weeks ago! That’s funny you saw him right afterwards. I haven’t worked with him but he seems cool.

Thank you OP I will watch this show!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Terrific show. Will really be looking forward to the continuing story in season 2.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I didn't think "The Old Man" could slow down any more than chapter four, but by golly, chapter five proved me wrong. They're gonna have to put it in overdrive if they're gonna end the season in two more episodes. I'm this far into it now, reckon I'll see it home.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I worked with Jeff on a movie back in 2008 and he was AMAZING to see. Effortless and seamless work. He brought his little panoramic camera and took a few shots. He had to turn his body when snapping! Apparently he has a coffee table book of photos from that camera.

I just saw that movie for the first time two weeks ago! That’s funny you saw him right afterwards. I haven’t worked with him but he seems cool.

Thank you OP I will watch this show!

Yeah man, I've always loved Lithgow too. I think the first movie I ever saw him in was in the movie "Twilight Zone the movie", which came out a few years before Manhattan I think. In TZ I thought his performance in that character was simply astonishing, and I was fan ever since. Like Jeff, I've never seen anything John's ever been in I didn't like ;) VERY COOL you got to work with Jeff man!

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Lithgow is on a short list of actors that ruin my viewing enjoyment

Interesting, I've usually considered Lithgow to be a really good actor. Do his roles irritate you? Something about his acting style you just don't care for? I'm not a big fan of Julia Roberts, and can't put my finger on it, I just usually don't like her as an actress.

My favorite Lithgow character was as the Trinity Killer in the Showtime series, Dexter (back when Dexter was really good).

The Trinity Killer season was excellent, and Lithgow owned that character. He also offed the most irritating person on the show, so he was kind of my hero lol.

I didn't think "The Old Man" could slow down any more than chapter four, but by golly, chapter five proved me wrong. They're gonna have to put it in overdrive if they're gonna end the season in two more episodes. I'm this far into it now, reckon I'll see it home.

The Old Man has slowed down (as is often the case lol). I kind of lost interest and fell asleep episode 4... need to go back and give it a chance, and like you, see it through.

Last edited:

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Do his roles irritate you? Something about his acting style you just don't care for?
Regardless of the role, Lithgow is always pretty much just Lithgow. I simply don't care for his projected "cheeky/thinking-himself quite clever/smarmy" persona.

He's one of those movie stars that make me wonder how he ever got popular at all.

I find zero appeal in him and I find him to be utterly without charisma, despite the general persona he projects

Last edited:

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Interesting, I've usually considered Lithgow to be a really good actor. Do his roles irritate you? Something about his acting style you just don't care for? I'm not a big fan of Julia Roberts, and can't put my finger on it, I just usually don't like her as an actress.

My favorite Lithgow character was as the Trinity Killer in the Showtime series, Dexter (back when Dexter was really good).

The Trinity Killer season was excellent, and Lithgow owned that character. He also offed the most irritating person on the show, so he was kind of my hero lol.

The Old Man has slowed down (as is often the case lol). I kind of lost interest and fell asleep episode 4... need to go back and give it a chance, and like you, see it through.
Wait - a Dexter sidetrack - my wife watched all the seasons but the last one I watched was the Jimmy Schmitz one, where he buried his victims in the bottom of freshly dug graves ?

Any subsequent seasons worth watching ?

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Regardless of the role, Lithgow is always pretty much just Lithgow. I simply don't care for his projected "cheeky/thinking-himself quite clever/smarmy" persona.

He's one of those movie stars that make me wonder how he ever got popular at all.

I find zero appeal in him and I find him to be utterly without charisma, despite the general persona he projects

C'mon, commit one way or the other-- get off the fence blowtorch! :lol: