1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An oddball guitarist: only one guitar in 35 years at least

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Feb 20, 2021.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I've only got one electric-a Telecaster...

I figure as soon as I learn to play this one I'll get another.

2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

As a youngun - well, actually until my thirties - I never owned more than one guitar and wasn't very interested in having a big collection. I don't think I even knew any people, including lots of striving musicians, with more than one guitar, one amp, and maybe a couple of pedals. I think the creeping consumerism + FOMO are responsible for most of it - when guys come on here who have been playing less than a year and own 6 guitars, it seems pretty sad to me. My music partner has one acoustic and one electric and no desire to "round out the collection" or "add another axe to the stable" - she spends that time and energy studying harmony singing.

That said, I DO have 8 instruments - 3 teles, a hollowbody, an acoustic, a tricone resonator, 12 string, and a bass. And I use them all. But I don't need 4 electric guitars if I'm being honest, two well-chosen ones would cover all the bases I need, if I had a reason to downsize.

guitrr and greenhornet like this.
  3. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He's obviously not a member here. Otherwise he'd be drowning in them :D

And they'd all be modded unrecognizably o_O:twisted:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  4. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

You worked with my brother in law?

Skydog1010 and gitold like this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Since ‘68 I’ve had, at least, 2 electrics at a time except for a short stint with only one SG.
    I currently have a SG Special, LP Special, MIM C50s Tele, and a MIM C50s Strat. The strat never gets played. The others get some rotation with the tele getting the most when I played out.
    I used to carry my tele & SG to gigs. Some tunes scream one or the other. Some tunes just say play me.
    I’ve never been a collector and never will. For those that do collect I say good for them. No bashing

guitrr likes this.
  6. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Was his name Dwight?

7. Winky

Winky TDPRI Member

I'm going to say an "enthusiastic" one.

elihu and Flat6Driver like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

No, Kenneth.
    Good Lord, there’s two of them!

9. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I would rather have one really well built, playable, great sounding guitar than a pile of others that had a playability or sound flaw. I know there are differences in Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and PRS, and all of them are great instruments. But it takes someone who can play to bring out those differences. I'm not that guy at this moment in time, may never be.

10. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

A friend who is top player, professional when he was young, plays Les Paul double cut he’s had for 50 years. He has been talking about getting a Stratocaster; for 20 years!!!

11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

What is this madness of which you speak?

12. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

I think this polar opposite of GAS is an admirable trait- and suggests a player serious about their craft.

Deep down, wouldn't we all like to have that level of self-awareness: The guitar isn't holding me back- I am.

13. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

How many guitars does a guitarist need - one, one more!

RobRiggs and andy__d like this.
  14. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

You have to play a lot of 6th string notes. Or wear jewelry I'd guess

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Back when I played in a band, I only had one (one with P90's and one with humbuckers but virtually the exact same guitar; Gibson SG's, same color, same neck contour, profile and radius, P90 was a Special (dots) and HB was a Standard). Never really thought about having another guitar. Amps was where I got into a fur ball with different gear, didn't have room to keep them all, since I lived with my parents and then moved into a small apartment. Had two pedals, fuzz and wah, never changed them out.

Then along came 1987 got a Squier 2 Strat, kept till I slap wore out the neck in 2015, around the same time I had just finished liquidating a sizeable collection of firearms and had given up hunting and flying (private pilot) only then did I start messing with different types of guitars.

I dare say, if I had kept the SG's or just kept the SG Special with P90's and dots, I would have remained a single guitar owner.

Since 2015 I have tried several SG's and somewhere along the line the love had gone for anything Gibson or Epiphone; and I'm pretty sure I'm quickly approaching a much simpler selection of electrics which will not exceed four guitars, maybe five, certainly no more than six or seven.

WTH I'll keep as many as I damn well please, come pry'em out of my cold dead hands.

RobRiggs and Flat6Driver like this.
  16. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Interesting you mention a firearms collection. They all.do basically the same thing and you can't use them nearly as often as guitars....why more than one?

(It's a rhetorical question... :). )

guitrr likes this.
  17. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    I think it justifies a real answer.

I was a Competitive Shooter. Several different disciplines. I used them far more than I will ever be able to use guitars. They also put more money in the bank and food on the table than any freaking guitar will ever be able to.

18. Mark617

Mark617 TDPRI Member

Growing up, there was a guy about 4-5 years older than me. He had a Gretsch and was just crazy talented. The band was all made up of local guys from my town. They wrote their own stuff and got air play a lot on a local rock station. Carl looked like he was a member of the Romantics back then. I think he’s responsible for at least a half dozen of us picking up a guitar

19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I think Waylon had a grand total of maybe 4 Teles he used throughout a 40+ year touring career and a couple of acoustics he got as gifts (one for sure). I believe the only reason he ended up with those other Teles was because he was worried about breaking strings and not having a backup when his main one messed up. At that point in the 70's he only had two that I know of, the original '68, a '50 Broadcaster, both covered in leather and he mainly relied on the '68 (there may have also been a '51 Nocaster that had the logo section of the headstock cut off completely.). He only changed guitars when the '68 started acting up on stage. after he had an EMG set of pickups put in the '68, he gave the Broadcaster to Reggie Young who later sold it at auction in 2010 where it was bought by Keith Urban. After that I believe he had a few custom shop signatures given to him by Fender but as far as I know he very very rarely if ever used them. I have only seen on single video of him using that signature model, and that was for a rehearsal after he broke a string.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Apparently you have never seen a western movie.:lol:

guitrr and Flat6Driver like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.