An OCD that I finally like....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Apr 15, 2019.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I remember the first time I tried an OCD - it was in some small mom/pop guitar shop in the mountains of Virginia while I was on a business trip in 2011. I played it against a Wampler Plexi-drive as I was looking for a Marshally kinda tone - I remember it being very close, but the Plexi-drive won and stayed with me for some time. Guessing that OCD was a v1.4 or something like that given the year I tried it...

Over the years since, I have tried OCDs at random, mostly used ones, sometimes new ones and never really found them to be the same. I guess there are many "discussions" about differences, but FWIW, I never found them appealing enough.

I ran across a used one tonight and on a whim, expecting disappointment, plugged it in....shock...surprise...wonderment....It sounds really good. Turns out its a 1.4 from the era I originally tried them and that means absolutely nothing. But, I like how it sounds...

I have never been a huge Fulltone fan and yet somehow over the last year, I managed to end up with 3 of his on the board: Octafuzz, Plimsoul (v2 - its awesome) and now an OCD....go figure...

The OCD is in combat with the J Rockett The Dude to see who keeps the spot, but I'll hold onto this OCD either way...

fullsizeoutput_117.jpeg fullsizeoutput_119.jpeg

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. aadvark

aadvark TDPRI Member

I do like my older one a lot - but absolutely nothing will ever compare to driven valve amp...
    Ive taken to using an attenuator rather than putting anything before my Princeton.
    The OCD is a handy, practical and beautifully made device.

rze99 likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I remember a YouTube video where someone compares the V1, V2, V3, and V4 OCDs, and, to my ears, they got progressively worse sounding. The V1 sounded the best, and the V4 sounded the worst, IMO.

NMore and joebloggs13 like this.
  4. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Still my favorite is an OCD clone the Danelectro Cool Cat Co-1, side by side, good luck picking the true OCD, and you'll end up wanting the Dano;)

bluesholyman likes this.
  5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I have heard of that being a good clone but never played one. I’m mixed on the inexpensive copy-cat pedals. They do fine I suppose, but it seems the good boutique builders, like Fulltone, go the extra mile with component choice, etc. He certainly labors over the sound he is going after.

The Mooer Hustle Drive sounds really good, but I figured if I wanted an OCD, I would just get the one that I liked, if that ever happened.

Shuster likes this.
  6. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

I have my own homemade v1.4 and the Dano Coolcat version with a mod for asymmetrical clipping. To my ears, where it really shines is on the edge of breakup. The asymmetric clipping allows for more dynamic range. Its a classic for good reason.

7. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

For several years I used a bandmate’s v1.4 and loved it. Finally I bought a new one, v2.0, and I like it just as much. I didn’t get to do a side-by-side comparison, but they’re similar enough. I prefer it in HP mode with the gain very low, the tone adjusted to suit the amp, and volume slightly above unity. It’s very much like the setting I use with a Rat pedal. But to me an OCD works much better with a boost or compressor before it than a Rat does.

Lawdawg likes this.
  8. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

@King Creole hit the nail on the head. The OCD really shines at lower gain settings and stacks beautifully with other pedals. Sounds great on its own, but with a boost in front -- that's the stuff.

King Creole likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ahhh the OCD.
    A fine family!
    Starting way back with it's grandpa, I have two versions of the DOD 250 (and an old block logo Dist +), two of the Voodoo Lab Overdrive, an OCD v1.4, and an Oddfellow Caveman V1.
    That seems to be the order in which copies carried the DNA forth.

I like them all quite a lot but use none of them...

My current favorite dist pedal is gooped though, so I may still be using a cousin!

10. telemnemonics

Yeah it's funny, the OD 250 and Voodoo Lab Overdrive sound better with gain up than does the OCD.
    Almost nothing beats the OCD for gain at zero though.
    The Distortron is close, maybe better.

King Creole likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

Dammit too many tone recipes to try!

King Creole likes this.
  12. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I used to have my amp's crunch-channel on a lowgain setting and used pedals for more crunchier sounds. But I always had difficulties adjusting the overall volume when stacking pedals with amp-crunch
    I changed my setting about 2 years ago, trying out a TC Dark Matter with lowgain and my amp-setting for more substantial crunch, worked a lot better with less noise.
    Tried out an OCD about a year ago - it's probably even the often critisized version 4, but for me it's working nicely.
    I actually switch between OCD, Dark Matter and an T-Rex Alberta II every now and then, but the OCD seems to react a wee bit better to guitar volume.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I still think the Joyo ultimate drive at 27.00 is a better deal. My friend has an OCD on his board and we did a direct comparison and it was more transparent and pushed the amp better..He ordered one that same day.

leonard d rock likes this.
  14. macatt

macatt Tele-Holic

I use two of them for three different degrees of overdrive.
    Versions 1.4 and 1.5.
    Love them both and see no reason to ever use anything else.
    [​IMG]

S Mac

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I have a couple Eno Trouble (OCD micro clone) OD’s, sounds best with the gain about 9-10 o’clock (low). Very articulate and yet raunchy. I can see this would work with the original. Makes a good boost also.

16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I own several OD pedals but the OCD is the only one I use. IMHO they sound much better with 18V power.

17. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

How about version 1.7, any love for that?

Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.