An Idea For A Pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Grandy, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I really enjoy versatile overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals and I don't want to use multiple dirt pedals. A rat that goes from clean boost to all out fuzz is the thing for me. Or something like the Catalinbread Giykas with the blend control would be ideal. I need to try it out one day. Anybody here who has the Giykas? What do you think about it?

What would really be cool is a dirt box that has an expression pedal input that could control the gain and the volume at the same time. Toes down increases the gain and lowers the volume and heel down decreases the gain and turns up the volume. The idea is that the overall output would be the same, only the amount of dirt changes. Would you buy one? And If there is such a pedal, please let me know.

I realize there are drive pedals that have do have an expression pedal input but not the kind I'm after (as far as I know).While you can ride the guitar's volume pot it's not quite the same. The volume usually goes down signicantly or the sound just gets a little cleaner and not all the way.

Sparky472 and dlew919 like this.
  2. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Not aware of a pedal that will do this, but I think a lot of modelers can.

I had a Line 6 HD500 that allowed you to assign multiple parameters to the pedal and I set it up just as you described.

But, in my experience, if your amp is turned up loud there should be enough compression so that the volume boost isn't necessary when turning down the guitar volume to clean things up.

3. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

there were these, though not with level control i don't think:

but if the levels are too off, you can use compressor as a limiter (high ratio, threshold to taste) after so that it only reduces gain when your signal is very loud. which actually gives an okay effect since dirt is squishy and fuzzes tend to be the squishiest of the bunch.

you can often slam the front end of dirt pedals to get a "fuzz" type sound. but the thing is, to get the pedal to fuzz territory it'll probably hit some ceiling in the early stages of the pedal.

and as mentioned above, if your amp is compressing, the volume difference shouldn't be too extreme, but natural (distorted is a little louder than clean). i guess this is only really a thing if you play a really clean SS amp or a tube amp that isn't cooking. i think using the amp as a "pedal platform" and treating it like a neutral delivery system (instead of setting it just before the edge of breakup) causes a lot of problems for people IMHO.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    MilwMark, D_Malone and Grandy like this.
  4. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I couldn't agree more. That's why I never judge a dirt/fuzz pedal at home. Using it with the band is the true test.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. loopfinding

if you could find some way to work it out, you could also try using a pan pedal and have the guitar split earlier in the chain between a dirty signal and clean signal (through a buffer), before hitting a drive or amp to "glue" it together.

guitar_paul1 and Grandy like this.
  6. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

And after 2 min live...you kick it away!

MilwMark likes this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

That is definitely possible with Line 6 products, you can set the expression pedal to control multiple parameters (I think, on multiple pedals at the same time) even on older tech like the M9 multieffects I am using. And you can set the heel and toe settings too so it doesn't go from 0 to 10 unless you want it to.
    I'm going to get an expression pedal soon for my M9, I'd like to try things like Tremolo intensity and rate together (going deeper and slower at the same time as you press down), or to modulate the amount of Echoplexy boost for soloing. But I also know that getting too cute gets me in trouble since I'm also usually singing and I need KISS principle with pedals.

8. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

I have always preferred high headroom amps, solid state or tube, and getting the dirt from pedals. I feel that it gives me more control over the eq. The cleans sounds are more important to me anyway. With a smaller amp you are stuck with whatever headroom it has. I guess I could simulate that with a boost in front of the dirt pedal.

I got my first eq and my first compressor not that long ago and I'm still learning how to use those best for my purposes.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Grandy likes this.
  10. loopfinding

Ah okay. I’m the opposite more or less. I pick the amp for the situation (either 15-20 watter or 50 watter, in my case tweed deluxe or bassman, both fairly low headroom). Then I dial my max clean in. If that’s too loud, I dial it back with an attenuator and then the gain from going into dirt territory is more squish than level increase.

11. guitar_paul1

guitar_paul1 Tele-Holic

Sounds like a description of this pedal. I'm sure there are others currently in production and less expensive.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/electro-harmonix-pan-pedal

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Fender made a volume/tone pedal probably 20 years ago that did the traditional up and down volume, but you twisted the top with your foot to adjust tone. I forget what it was called though, but perhaps instead of tone, it could be re-configured for dirt? Just an idea.

13. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

In your scenario I'd put a clean boost AFTER dirt, or in the amp effects loop if it has one. Kick on the boost when you roll back your guitar volume to make up for the volume drop. ;)

Grandy likes this.
  14. JustPlayItLoud

JustPlayItLoud Tele-Meister

I have a Giygas and it’s awesome. For me it’s everything an op amp based fuzz can be. The EQ controls are super versatile and the gain and blend controls combine to give a very broad range of gain. It sounds massive and definitely does the Rat/Big Muff thing of blurring the line between fuzz and distortion.

Grandy likes this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It was a fuzz/wah; I have one. I didn't want it or buy it.

Years ago I ordered some stuff from MF and they threw in the fuzz/wah and a Fender bar stool with the order. I called them to let them know they goofed up the order, and would they like their stuff back? They said no, keep it with our compliments.

I plugged it in and fiddled with it for about three minutes and then put it back in the box, where it has been sleeping for 10 years or so. It's made of chromed steel and weighs around 10 lbs.

This:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fender-classics-series-fuzz-wah-pedal

Obsessed likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, that’s the one I was thinking about. I don’t know if that helps @Grandy in any way, but thanks for digging that up.I had just the volume pedal of that era. A tank, but could do great surf swells.

Peegoo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.