An even dumber winder build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Nov 29, 2014.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome back, Tony. Sorry about the hole and all that. Hope that's all in the past.

How it's hooked up depends on how those 3 terminals on your counter are labeled.

I'm going to guess that they're marked +, - and "signal" or something like that??
    And you're certain your sensor has only two leads, correct?

If so, try this.

(1) Twist the red wire from your battery pack and one of the wires from your sensor (should not matter which) and connect them to the + terminal on your counter.

(2) Connect the black wire from the battery pack and connect it to the - terminal on the counter.

(3) Connect the other lead from the sensor (again, it should not matter which color), and connect it to the "signal" or "pulse" or. . . terminal on the counter.

This should work. If not, let us know, and I'll have Brainy talk you through it.

2. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Thanks Ric... Still cant seem to get it going. i decided to let the guy over the road laq my 330 so its the long wait again.. guy gets me mad but hes such a sound guy. says he will laq this week. will not need buffing it will be smooth and glossy already. this i have to see... ill deffo show u some pics of this. just hope he does enough coats.. i think the counters are goosed. both of them..arrrrrr. another 11 quid to waist..

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. jadedsoul

jadedsoul Tele-Holic

Yep Ric/Rob lol, there knackered i found the old photos from the first time i tried to get it all going.. i need to buy 2 new ones, counters. Joe is supposed to be laq my jetglo 330 tonight..oooo Im excited to see it done. bet u a tenner it aint done tomorrow..again... im even getting the FB done aswell like the real deal. hope i can get it right. Hows The Brain doing i wonder :D

4. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I am not happy with this

But as promised, here is a demo. Dunno if the sound is good enough to really capture the difference between the pickups. Video is in this order:

1) Bridge
    2) Bridge/neck parallel
    3) Neck
    4) Bridge/neck series

Played direct into the little Fender champ you can see (none of the billions of pedals on display were used. Rob, this does mean I used NO REVERB)

The usual apologies for bum notes and bad playing apply.

If the sound is not good enough, I guess I can do a proper audio recording in the future, though the guitar has now left the building...

Now it's your turn Rick!

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Say, what kinda funny business is this?
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1426323402.944644.jpg

6. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I'm shy.

And it took fourteen million hours to upload. I believe it is now available, much as I would prefer it wasn't...especially now I have actually watched it and realised that the B string isn't in tune. :oops:

7. Jupiter

Close enough for the blues! ;)

The ball is definitely in stratty's court.

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

How can we tell if you are related to TTim if we can't see your face. This is suspicious. Also, the feminine videographer lacked a proper British accent. Could she be Miss Vicki????? I wonder...

9. Jupiter

Can I just say that's a helluva lotta pedals....

10. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I specifically asked Sara to keep my stupid face out of the video. I was already horribly self conscious about the whole thing, having my stupid face in it would have finished me off.

Now, for anyone who has paid attention, remember how I import lots of 'gifts' from the USA? Because Sara is from the USA and lives here?

There's more than that. Only a few actually get used. Most of them are BYOC ones that I made (that was sort of the gateway drug to making guitars)

Just wondering, is anyone going to bother actually listening to the pickups? :cry:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  11. Jupiter

They sound great, beeb! We're just easily distracted. :lol:

12. R. Stratenstein

OK Brainy, you have certainly picked up the gauntlet I carelessly threw down.

But here's the thing. Just the other day I plugged Ruby in, and got nothing. Seeing as how she has a pair of Lawrence micro coils, and her other parts are premium, I suspect operator error. But she will need just a bit o surgery before succumbing to my inept playing efforts.

Brainy plays much better than I, so it is I who should hide my face in shame.

As an added bonus for delayed response, I will briefly demo my BYO pedals, plus my one Dano chorus pedal, and the Free Fuzzs pedal, and specially for Rob, my Triode reverb kit build, turned way up. I will also throw in a bonus sub-par performance from my Strat-like parts caster with my first pickups in it.

Oh, yeah, did I mention I have to travel on business this week? :oops: sorry.

But most importantly--Brainy, your pickups sound frickin superb! Everything you'd want in a Tele, by my lights.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  13. R. Stratenstein

Good-Faith Proof Shots

OK, I know you think I was lying about Ruby, so below are some photos I just took tonight while I was trying to figure out how the deuce I screwed up wiring her.

Turns out it was kind of minor. In the close up gut shot, you can see where the disk cap treble bleed disc cap terminal comes very close to where the end of the orange drop cap lead is soldered. Well, when the control plate was pushed down on top of the wires, those two leads shorted together, and killed the sound. I twisted them so they can't do that any more, and put Ruby back together.

Ruby sounds great. I'm very pleased with her. I played her for an hour until my wife wanted to go to sleep, so I tried to play her a lullabye on Ruby, but she wasn't buying it. I even tried to impress her with all my pedals on and extra reverb, but nope.

I also took a picture of my pedal chair. It's a new concept. There are 4 pedals on it, I've also been working on a Supasustain Compressor build for about 4 years now that just seems to not like me. I will only need these 5 pedals, except maybe I kinda like that one that makes your guitar sound like a cello. Then I can pass for Yo-Yo-Ma.

On the pedal chair are my home built PT-80 Delay from General Guitar Gadgets, my Tri-Vibe from Runoffgroove.com, the Dano Fab chorus pedal, and the Free Fuzz box, which is the best fuzz I've ever played. Under the right conditions, it will properly mimic the "American Woman" lead sound, which everybody knows takes a Twin Reverb feeding full blast into a big Dumble, but no, I've found the cheap skate's secret.

Like Brainy says above, I also was led here in search of pedal information, got hooked on the builds, and here I yam.

I will film a video probably this weekend.

Attached Files:

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent Rick!! We know how much Helmut loves cloth covered wire! Glad your fix was relatively painless. Anyway, can't wait to hear the Bandmaster wailing through that tube reverb unit! Sweeeeet!

Oh, and by the way, Mr. Yeknom was on vacation in Palm Springs for the big Indian Wells tennis tournament and sent me this picture. He said he is related some how but I couldn't understand him too clearly which is normal.

image-1035388298.jpg

Rob

15. Jupiter

That ain't a monkey's foot! Or even a monkey's paw!

[​IMG]

16. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Thanks. I'm really pleased with them.

If we're demoing pedals, that I am far more comfortable with. I have many BYOC ones, including one that I think does the cello things you're after: http://buildyourownclone.com/products/lazysprocket

The compressor I made is pretty good as well, it's their vintage spec version. I don't use it much, hence it being out of either chain. (Each board goes to a separate amp so I can play in stereo and/or have a rhythm bit being looped on one side, while playing lead on the other. None of which happens very often. They mainly just gather dust....)

Attached Files:

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Hey BB, the pickups sounds really good, I also like a lot you pedalboard and love your livingroom.

18. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Thanks Nick

All one has to do to end up with pedalboards and a living room like that is:

1. don't get married or have kids
    2. like guitars but don't be too good at playing them
    3. be a tinkerer/DIYer by nature
    4. spend time on THD

And before you know it, you have too many pedals, too many guitars, and an unquenchable desire to make more guitars. And pickups. And every single part of a guitar that you can.

19. R. Stratenstein

Although you may have some regrets, let me assure you that the unquenchable desire to make children with your spouse (or someone else, for that matter), ends up being much, much, much more expensive and restrictive. Waaaaayyyyy beyond your most fond guitar gear fantasies!

20. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I... I feel like I've stepped into some sort of weird alternate universe here. Brainy has finished a set of pickups!! And they sound SWEET!!

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.