An even dumber winder build thread

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by barbrainy, Nov 29, 2014.

1. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Jupiter says he is a monkey see, monkey do kind of bloke when it comes to making a winder and pickups.

I am not even at that level. Does that make me a monkey see see, monkey doo doo? (Yes, it's lame, but all good thread start with childish references to faeces. Everyone knows that.)

I finally had all the components that other people have told me I need:

[​IMG]

And a donor for some cable (see? Me killing power tools paid off in the end.....)

[​IMG]

After a little bit of initial troubleshooting, I have something that makes the motor turn.....but only one way, and though the pot does increase and decreased the speed, it's not doing so by very much.....

So, when my switch is in this position:
    [​IMG]

Nothing happens:
    [​IMG]

When it's in the middle position (o), this happens:
    [​IMG]

When it's in position 3 (ll), this happens:
    [​IMG]
    and the motors spins....

So, you know, help!!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I don't know if this helps, but you got a weird switch there.

I recommend a bigger uglier one that lets you see what the connections are in back.

[​IMG]

With mine, the switch is AFTER the power source; it flips the current on the way to the motor. My power source has no idea which way the motor is turning. If you have your switch BEFORE the power source, I think that would be bad....

3. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

My switch is after the power source. It goes power>power pack>cable to bottom left of circuit board (M1 and M2). The four leads going out to the left are the switch. The two at the top left go to the motor.

It's as described HERE

Or HERE

4. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Without knowing how the board its supposed to be wired I'll go out on a limb and say you should have the red and black of each pair beside each other, e.g from top to bottom, black , red, black , red or reverse of that. The circuit board if I understand it right reverses the polarity on one pair to make the motor spin the other way. Is that what your expecting? I could be totally wrong here as I've not viewed the pickup winder threads yet so feel free to tell me I'm a southern plonker ;) Maybe someone with more know how of these things will set me straight (and you).

In theory the switch will allow nothing through between the black and red wires in the "o" position. In pos I it will connect one pair of the black and red but leave the other pair of black and red open still with nothing going through. Reverse of that in pos II.

Edited to add info on switch basics.

5. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Thought about it a bit more and I believe it works like this :- Power is being fed to 2 of the wires in your block of 4, when you switch the switch to pos I or II you allow that power to be sent up the wire, through the switch and back down the other wire and off along the circuit board to where ever its meant to go.

Where's Rick or Brian when we need them..

6. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Do you have a digital multimeter brainy? You could check what the switch is doing if so, while disconnected. You could also connect it to the terminal the motor connects to in order to determine if the polarity gets reversed.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, where the hell is Brian? I've got football to watch today!
    You do have a lit LED and the motor runs at least one direction, good start!

Brainy, how is that block terminal of 4, the one you have wired to the switch, labeled? EDIT: The English label, please.

Also, did that switch come with the power supply?

8. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I do have a DMM. The only thing I know how to use it for is continuity.....

Yes

At the moment (wired the way it came) the two red go to OUT the two black go to IN:

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
  9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

[​IMG]

I assumed it arrived wired correctly?

I assumed the 8 year old child in a sweat shop in China, who made it, knew more about electronics than me.

I think most 8 year old children in sweat shops in China know more about electronics than me....

There's lots more pictures HERE

10. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Don't know if this would help.

Attached Files:

11. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

You can determine the correct pairs with your continuity test. One lead to a red and put switch in pos I, then touch other lead to the black wire one at a time. The pair to the red should beep or whatever your metre does. The other pair shouldn't show continuity unless you flick the switch to pos II. Pos 0 no pair should have continuity.

That's how I'd expect the switch to work.

If that proves correct you may find that swapping either the blacks or Reds with there fellow colour will sort this as they've been terminated in the wrong point. E.g Swap the Reds around only or blacks only.

Don't do this with power on!!!

After that with all connected again you could check for continuity from the power in point on neg or pos side to the motor terminals with the switch in various poisitions.

12. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Ok, I switched the power off. I haven't actually electrocuted myself in many years.....but it's precisely the kind of thing I would do.

[​IMG]
    So, using above picture as a reference, points 1 to 4 from top to bottm:

Position l = 1+4 and 2+3 have continuity

Position ll = 1+3 and 2+4 have continuity

Position 0 = no continuity anywhere

Also: should I be doing something less[/I nerdy at 9pm on a Saturday night?

13. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

I've just noticed your using the m1 & m2 connection for power? Are you sure that's right? as the other 2 prong terminal is labeled pos and neg. e.g are you sure the motor and power are in the right sockets? The M designation may indicate Motor. Pos and neg are reserved for power input normally.

14. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I'd like to say it would......but that wouldn't be true.........(though I do understand the diagram! That alone was worth it being posted for)

Thanks anyway, though, Glen. That is the diagram for a winder like Jupiter's or Daverius' where the switch is not integrated with the PWM.

Making one that way instead is Plan B. :cool:

15. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Oh.

Oh my.

YES. That's fixed it! Thank you, Kevin. You have saved me from embarrassing myself on a public internet forum that anyone could see. Phew. I'd hate for anyone else besides you, Kev, to know what an imbecile I am.:oops:

The EXTRA stupid thing is, that IS how I wired it the first time round! But nothing worked at that point.....so then I tried it this way round, I must have also changed something else (I forget what, but presumably something else was wrong too) at the same time. Dur.

Still, this does confirm the accuracy of the thread title. I just didn't expect to be this dumb this quickly!

16. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::lol:

Glad I could help mate. Now I'm off to get on with something less nerdy like watching a film and leave you to take your next steps into clown wig making.

17. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Yeah, me too, this place is wayyyyyyyy too nerdy for me. I'm off to, ummmm, drink some Moet and, errrrmmmmmm, be intimate with an attractive young lady. Yes. I am definitely doing both those things this evening, and definitely not going to watch TV and eat chocolate fingers.

18. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Believe it or not, as I sat and watched in horror as my team not embarassed themselves, but the entire human race so far as we know it, not to mention the most important part, they embarassed ME, I was thinking, maybe I'd better review basic things with Brainy, like motor leads to M1 and M2, power inputs to + and - from the power supply. When this cluster ***k is over with, I'll ask Brainy to post a photo of the entire rig, wired up, just to check.

Obviously Kevin does not have an underachieving sports team to cheer on to inglorious humiliation at the hands of cheating rank amateurs (oh, wait, this is college football, it's supposed to be amateurs, who don't cheat, except in Alabama), well, anyway, Kevin beat me to it, so good show and all that for the UK contingent.

And don't you feel badly now for having the 8 year old child sent to the gulag? I suggest a nice movie tonight. On TV maybe.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

More dumberer! :lol:

So you didn't fry anything? I'd call that winning so far. And that puts you past the dangerous bit, so it should be smooth sailing from now on.

20. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Yeah, I really shouldn't have doubted the 8 year old. 8 year olds in China learn, as part of their National Curriculum, that I am pretty stupid and always make silly mistakes when making anything guitar related.

Mmmmmm. Fried.

No, I was reasonably careful not to fry myself, but I did keep worrying, as I was testing out various (wrong) ways of wiring it, that if it was wired wrong and I then put power into it, I would break something. I am very pleased that even with a number of wrong ways, no components came to any harm. Though I did think some pretty disrespectful things about the PWM.

Yeah, past the dangerous bit. Now on to the making a box bit. Then onto the bit that actually scares me. (I naively thought the assembly bit was the bit I would get right!!). My supplies are about 2 weeks away (I bought a right load of stuff from addictionfx and tonekraft, enough to make many, many pickups; these are being brought over when my friend's dad comes to visit from the US; he's also bringing me garolite and some quilted maple. nd a bass pickup. And a bass bridge. UK customs: these are all, ummmmmm, gifts! He paid for them, not me! I believe there is enough room left in his suitcase for 1 pair of underpants and two pairs of socks. That'll be enough for a 3 week holiday, right?)

So anyway, that gives me plenty of time to make a box (well, make more than one, I imagine) and get the platen right. In fact, I am just off to peruse your and Daverius' boxes right now, to see how you mounted your motors.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.