An Embarrassing Admission

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I can't contain myself I must admit I loath what I call mother of toilet seat Pickguards
You know the pearloid plastic ones they come in a variety of colors I've seen a boat load of "aged " white ones. Urragh! There are red white and blue, sunrise black inca silver hot pink ,tiger lily, orange yellow, forest green, brown, creamy mushroom soup, chili red, pea soup green lassitude mauve pearloid bile yellow pickguards and they are all ugly ugly ugly when mounted on a fine instrument.
The only thing that I can imagine worse would be a pearloid pink kick guard mounted on a Fiesta red guitar.
Finally it's out , hugggh I feel better now.
Of coarse that's just my ever so tempered opinion.:cool:

radtz

Tele-Holic
I can't contain myself I must admit I loath what I call mother of toilet seat Pickguards
You know the pearloid plastic ones they come in a variety of colors I've seen a boat load of "aged " white ones. Urragh! There are red white and blue, sunrise black inca silver hot pink ,tiger lily, orange yellow, forest green, brown, creamy mushroom soup, chili red, pea soup green lassitude mauve pearloid bile yellow pickguards and they are all ugly ugly ugly when mounted on a fine instrument.
The only thing that I can imagine worse would be a pearloid pink kick guard mounted on a Fiesta red guitar.

FWIW, I couldn't disagree more. The first thing I did with my Squier Bass VI was replace the brown tortoise one with a beautiful blue pearl one. - best visual upgrade ever

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
FWIW, I couldn't disagree more. The first thing I did with my Squier Bass VI was replace the brown tortoise one with a beautiful blue pearl one. - best visual upgrade ever

I respect your having a difference of opinion, and possibly more refined sense of style and taste.
back in the 60's they made cushioned toilet seat and covered it with white blue and pink pearloid vinyl material
hence the name mother of toilet seat.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
The PG manufacturers should take a page from some of the drum companies. There are lots of "vintage" finishes that look way better than a new aged PG.https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/products/drumkits/legacy-mahogany
https://www.gretschdrums.com/drums/broadkaster
Scroll down on the Gretsch page for a bunch of examples of what PGs could look like.
9f0940fc301f21ed93af2eb402a46fb5.jpg

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I would agree with you, but I gotta say that my wife has a MOTS pick guard on one of her bass guitars and it does evoke good emotions … for her. That said, she is a bass player.:lol:

Frank Roberts

Tele-Meister
Not my cup of tea either but to each his own, so “loathing” is a bit too harsh from my perspective.

How do you feel about the position markers on an original 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard? Loathed less is my guess.

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Fender guitars are fun to mess around with. I have had gold mirrored pickguards, marble looking pick guards (grey marble on a black strat with black pickup covers), pearloid, tortoise, wacked looking tortoise ect.
Buy 'em, put 'm on for a while. Take 'em off and replace them with something else.

It's great cheap fun.

I never have any pickguards on my Gibson style guitars.

Whatever floats your butter.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
now about that..peegoo all over yourself..shame shame..