1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An easy way to fix a loose telecaster jack.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by buckwalder, Jul 11, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Someone may have already mentioned a similar method but I searched and was unable to find it, if it exist.
    All you need is these three things.

1. sharpened pencil.

2. A 1/2 or 12 mm socket with a 1/2" drive.

3. A pair of vice grips.

First you want to secure the 1/2 or 2mm socket with your vice grips as high on the socket as possible so you don't scratch your tele. Remove vice grips from socket for now.
    Poke the sharp end of the pencil through the hole of the socket into the input jack. If the pencil has an eraser,you should remove it.
    Tap on the end of the pencil hard enough so that the wood of the pencil distorts and grabs onto the inside of the jack.
    Take your vice grips and secure them to the 1/2 or 12mm socket.
    Tighten the nut.
    By the way I know about the Electrosocket. This little trick is something I have done to many teles through the years.
    You can add fingernail polish or blue Locktite if you feel the need.
    Hope you guys find this helpful.

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Having a hard time understanding what your doing. A pic perhaps?

daza152 likes this.
  3. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I think I got it.You force the pencil into the 1/4" output jack ,slide the socket down over the pencil to the nut on the jack.Hold the pencil so the jack doesn't turn tighten nut.Sorta clever idea.You don't have to remove the control plate and hold the jack from spinning and breaking the wires.I think someone sell a tool that does the same thing for about $15 dollars.Pencil trick might be worth a try

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

can't you hold the back of the jack from spinning through the control rout hole?.....

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

You got it. You can use other items besides a pencil as long as that item fits through the socket. You might have to hold the pencil with another pair of pliers too if you cant get a good enough grip with your hand.

6. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Yes, but I find this easier. Opinions may vary.

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's a quick fix if your jack holding plate is loose in the body slots.....

I cut down a few sharp tack points and jammed them one on each corner of the side slots.. tapped them in with the edge of some pliers and a light hammer....

worked a treat... jack is solid as a rock now...:cool:

Attached Files:

8. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

9. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Sure, but while your sitting around with a loose jack waiting for your jacktite to show up you can just do it for free with stuff you might already have.

10. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

11. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I'm so gald I found this thread, fellas!! The jack on my Paisley Tele is at the point where I can actually lift it out of the jack cup hole. Don't have a clue how long it's been this way, either. And this is the Tele that I paid...PAID $1,100.00 for...should have gotten my money back if I had known in time....:(:oops::mad:

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

& there you go! :idea:

13. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Not only that but this saves you explaining away charges on your credit card statement to your wife.
    " Honey what is this jack gripper and jack tight? I found the credit card statement next to your nut sauce. What's going on? Don't you still find me attractive? "

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have one of these in my toolbox...

[​IMG]

It's an Allparts Bullet Guitar Jack tool. They're about $8 from Amazon.

15. Diamond White

Diamond White Tele-Meister

I guess you are joking..........I can be a bit slow sometimes.

If not......:confused:

16. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Same principal same result. Notice this tool appears to be made out of plastic so you can't get get the jack so tight that it bends the metal anchor behind the cup. This is why I use a pencil in the jack hole as the pencil will slip before it gets to tight.

17. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually, those tools work pretty well.

18. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I'm sure they do and so do the other tools mentioned. I just wanted to show that you can do the same thing with items you already have.

19. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The bullet tool is made from plastic, and that really is its weakness as I don't think they stand up to hard use. But for occasional use they're absolutely fine. Just behind that pointed plastic inner "nose" is a softer rubber - much like an eraser - thick ring which actually grips the jack. You can get the jack nut quite tight using it.

What I don't like about your solution - although I don't doubt that it works perfectly fine - is using vise grips on a plated socket. I don't want my sockets all scratched up. A better solution would be to use a Summit Tools "O Ratchet" (Sears also has a similar Max Access ratchet). I've had a set of these for many years; the ratchet (and extension bar) has a hole through it so you can tighten things like nuts on long threaded rods.

And I like to use the eraser end of the pencil as it provides a friction fit into the jack holding it tightly while the nut is snugged up.

[​IMG]

I guess there are many different ways to skin a cat...or tighten a jack nut.

20. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I've seen the pencil trick posted here before.. always thought it was a great idea. Seems a little silly to buy a tool to achieve this if you're not working on guitars everyday. If you'll be using it even on a semi regular basis sure but if I had one more than likely when I actually need it I wouldn't be able to find it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.