1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An easy neck refinish question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by choosebronze, May 8, 2011.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Okay, first of all... I apologize. This isn't a telecaster question per se, though it might be one day if I'm able to accomplish what I'm trying to do. Plus, you guys know way more than people on the other guitar finishing forums.

I've got a crappy Squier bronco bass that Squier says has a "polyurethane" finish on the neck and fingerboard (though it must be like 1 coat of terrible poly because the neck looks and feels bare).

I've read all the posts here about neck refinishing and I'm sold on gun oil. The one super simple question I can't seem to find an answer to anywhere is whether or not I have to strip the poly that's on the neck already, or if I can just put on the gunstock oil right over it?

Thanks so much guys. I'd be lost without you.

2. alscort93

alscort93 Tele-Meister

You'll need to strip the poly or else the gun oil won't do you a bit of good, it needs to be able to soak into the wood.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep, strip it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.