An attempt to cover Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Telegazer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Us silly folks at shortscale.org/forum do a couple of compilations every year, and one member put forth the idea for those interested to contribute their performances of PF tunes, which is due for "broadcast" this weekend. Cool.

I'm a bit of a dork, simply too caught up in my own music world and never being around the tunes to know anything about Gilmour, Waters, and Co. to try anything, until I youtube'd the beautiful "On the Turning Away" and noted the charming British Isla folkiness of the melodic phrasing, enough so that we pulled out the mandolin, uilleann pipes, penny whistle, and a myriad of other doo-dads to track the song in the vibe of Iona/Clannad/The Chieftains...closing the tune with some good ol' noisy dream pop.

48 hours later, the two of us came up with this: http://themajestichigh.bandcamp.com/track/on-the-turning-away-pink-floyd

Take it home, if you please: http://www.mediafire.com/?n6yqcjy2zrdnqbe

2. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Man, this is really great!

Performances, arrangement and production: It's all there.

How on earth did you get a children's chorus? Was is a recording you already had or did you actually record that for this tune?

3. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Thank you for the very kind words, ScatMan. If only we could sing better!

The children's choir (and all of the "world voices", save my wife's spoken 나를 잊지 말아요 naryeul ijjimarayo line at the very end) were all obtained at www.freesound.org . It's an amazing community/resource to share sounds, many of which can be used even for your own commercial purposes, with permission. I totally lucked out with the (Hindi/Punjabi?) choir I found the file being just a tad slower than 100 BPM of my arrangement, so a little time compression put it nicely in place.

Going slightly off-topic...

Although I professionally do sound design field recording and the like when composing for Samsung Mobile (and rely on existing sound libraries), without www.freesound.org I would have had a hard time coming up with a lot of the sounds I've done over the past year or so while writing music and creating hybrid sound effects.

Truth be told, a lot of the ambient that can be heard for the following tracks I made were obtained from freesound, I myself receiving "dry" video to work with:

I had to do this one during Winter time here in Korea, and had no way to get convincing "rustling leaves" that worked, hence my reliance on freesound. Snoring and hiccups were my own :p

4. ScatMan

ScatMan Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the info about www.freesound.org Telegazer. I will look into it.

btw: I was a Nokia mobile phone test engineer six years ago. Samsung is doing well now.. congratulations!

5. mody

mody TDPRI Member

Sounds great man! Very charming.

Thanks for the headsup on freesound.org

6. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Scat alerted me to your post — an astounding piece of work to this journeyman recordist. It's like a musical painting. And you can believe I'll be visiting freesounds frequently!

7. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

ScatMan let me know about your cover, knowing what a complete Pink Floyd fanatic I am.

This is BEAUTIFUL!!! You did a fantastic job capturing the spirit of the tune, while doing your own thing with it. I loved it.

Thank you for sharing it with us!!!

8. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted

Yes absolutely great, I'm inspired to open up my DAW now.

9. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

Very nice. And I'll be lost in freesound all day now, thanks for that!

10. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow. Just wow.

11. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very nice!

12. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

My goodness, a big thank you to all for the nice things you fellow TDPRI forumites have had say to us.

It's ridiculous to think that at the ripe age of 39 I'm finally discovering the wonder of PF's library from such drastically contrasting eras, and am very pleased to enter the amazing collection via such a lovely tune. Truth be told, I began learning mandolin back in the mid '80s and picked up bodhran and penny whistle a few years later out of curiosity, all the while the Celtic revival trend of the '90s really fueling my interest in more, enough to warrant a visit to the British Isles in 1999... Although I'm somewhat a bigger fan of The Smiths, Echo And the Bunnymen, and the whole deafening shoegazer scene. :!:

And most definitely, www.freesound.org is literally one of the best things to happen via the internet. Over the past few months I've been in touch with a number of members from all over the globe, curiously all of which have been more interested in promoting the site, rather than themselves and the content they've created. Since the site is operated by a few folks who live in Spain, sound files you submit to your own account can admittedly take several days to be approved...But it's worth it, and it's so encouraging to see that members are open and respective of others' creative contents. It's simply a great place to submit random sounds for others to expand upon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.