An "anal" perspective on Road Worn Guitars :)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Apr 3, 2020.

1. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

My two main gigging guitars are similar to the one in my avatar: One a WD-40 can and the other a gas can. Don't worry too much about dings & dents.

2. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

I have a Les Paul Studio with a satin finish and it's my most expensive guitar but it's certainly the one I use the most roughly. The satin finish will age really well after I play it a few more years so I'm all open for dings and dents on it's body. With my Esquire due to the paint type (Poly) being thick and shiny, I don't want to dent it as it will just look dented and not as cool.

The paint really helps with how it will look after a natural relicing. My Les Paul already looks cool with shiny spots and dents here and there, I'm sure that will only get better as I gig it more. I love how it's starting to look rough around the edges as it gives it character and the paint is so thin it's sensitive to personal playing differences, so mine will look cool once it fully wears as it'll be unique to me.

Either way, I intend to play my guitars. I accept they will get dented here and there - it's part of life. In fact, it would be nice if my strap came off on my les paul stood up like what happened with my esquire. I know if I dropped my les paul it would get a nice big dent in it which would be really visible.

When not caring, I have more fun, I play better.
    EG:

On stage jumping around vs being stationary worried about knocking something with my guitar's body.

P90s really accompany this vibe well.

3. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I usually try to give the neck and strings a quick swipe with a cloth after playing, but never wipe the body down. If I’m changing strings and one looks particularly grungy, I might clean it up a bit.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I only came here because I saw "anal" and "road worn" in the same sentence and figured there was no way this wouldn't be awesome.

NewKid and aerhed like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

95B84AE7-1A54-4234-81C8-61FD865A3FCB.jpeg This is kind of a funny thread. When I was looking for a Gibson, not wanting to spend too much, the only ones in my price range were faded or satin finished and looked like cheap guitars. One day I was in a Sam Ash store and saw a beautiful high gloss cherry red SG up on the wall with a too low to be believed price tag. I wanted one of those when I was back in high school but it was priced way beyond my reach. It turns out that it was a robot with the robot tuners replaced and a second tone pot added. Sam Ash came down a hundred and threw in an Epiphone case to keep it looking good. I wipe my guitars after use and clean them thoroughly when I put one away to take out another. I care for them that way even though all were bought pre-loved. That’s all but one of them. My #1. It’s a heavy relic CS ‘69 Stratocaster that I won at the last stop of the Fender Custom Shop Road Show. I take care of it for sure but I’m not anal about it like I am with the others. I’d never have ordered a guitar heavy relic but I love this one. It’s what it is and with its reverse headstock and reverse angle bridge pickup it sure doesn’t look like a cheap guitar. It’s got an aura all it’s own. And I like that I can be casual about it. Casual, not careless though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

No, I really don't have any problem fussing over guitars because I bought them new. Seems like a personal thing to me. Some have nicks here or there, but not much, because I like being careful with my stuff in general. Some say it's a "tool," but it's not a shovel. Not trashing it doesn't take much.

I don't personally care for the look of factory done simulated wear. But it's just a finish. I don't care for sunbursts, either. No big deal.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  7. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Yeah, that's the point! Ride it hard and put it away...smudged. I like the Road Worn series a lot. Have the copper 50s Tele and a JMJ Mustang bass. My son has a blonde RW Tele. They're all really, really nice instruments with a feel like broken-in jeans.

8. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Seems ironic that so many value a natural accumulation of finish wear, scratches and dings, but most people looking for a used guitar will pay a premium for mint condition specimens.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  9. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I have a gorgeous Gibson Memphis 345 with gold plate and vibrola. Stunning but so precious and delicate - and it cost a mint. Terrified to scratch it but my Roadworn tele and Strat are rusty and filthy and a joy to play. No rough edges and no need for a fancy case or worrying if it's going to get knocked off the stand. Get used most every day!

aerhed likes this.
  10. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

This thread has lasted longer than I thought it would. These never end well.

1. I love the look of a guitar that’s been through the ringer, but only if it was earned. Someone in the body shop dragging a guitar along a cement sidewalk, rubbing it against a tree, or smacking it with a screwdriver/awl/weedwhacker/rake, etc... seems silly and pretentious to me. Just my opinion.

2. I just saw a $5000 Huss and Dalton “relic” acoustic... and wanted to throw up.

3. Although my point 1 was clearly made, I would certainly make a rule 1 amendment on a Light-Relic Nash or LSL T-Style electric.

4. I could not, in good conscious make a rule-2 amendment on any occasion.

4b. Unless it played awesome, sounded divine and looked super cool.

~syf

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi nvilletele !

I typed it that way on purpose to see if I could catch any equally "anal" members, and up to this point, you're the only one that has bit! :) :) :)

Welcome to the The Anal Club!!!!!!!

nvilletele likes this.
  12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

That's me as well Corvus! :)

I have (2) Fender B-Benders, one is the first year 1996 American Standard Telecaster B-Bender in Vintage White, and the other is a 2011 60th Anniversary Nashville B-Bender in 3-Tone Sunburst, both with original cases, both guitars/cases in new condition.

But like your Gibson, I'm terrified to take them out and play them, as I don't want them to get scratched :)

That being said....................................................................

They ARE worth a LOT more than my Road Worn, but it's the "anal" factor that I (and now obviously nvilletele :) ) possess that makes the Road Worn much more fun to play :)

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi stealyerface!

My Thread is NOT truly about whether one likes or loves Relic'd guitars, because as you say, those Threads NEVER end well :)

It IS about whether any of us enjoys a guitar more when it starts to get some battle scars, or do some of us obsess more about how pretty and new it looks?

stealyerface likes this.
  14. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

"Jumping around?" :eek:
    [​IMG]

15. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I gotcha...

So, I am super-particular about my guitars all being pristine, with no dings, no dents, and no cosmetic issues. Should one of my guitars ever be damaged, in such a manner that it is a glaring offense... I would probably get rid of it. no kidding.

The exception is my '54 Martin. That guitar was (is) my fathers, and he was given that guitar, brand new, on his 8th birthday in 1954.

That guitar went through high school bluegrass bands, college bands, and many, many gigs within its lifetime. THAT guitar earned every nick and scratch and pick rash that is on it... but it is the one i am the most careful with...

If that makes any sense!!!

~syf

16. Violeiro

Violeiro TDPRI Member

Absolutely, yes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

It makes sense stealyerface, but if I sold a guitar every time something glaringly offensive happened to it, I would:

1) Not keep ANY guitar very long :)
    2) Be VERY broke! :)

18. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

My fairly new CS is starting to get buckle rash. I don’t care. I don’t like new looking guitars.

19. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

If I'm keeping score, it seems the OVERWHELMING majority of you don't care (at least not up to an obsessive point) if a guitar looks shiny and new.

20. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Really...
    Wall.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.