An "anal" perspective on Road Worn Guitars :)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Apr 3, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The phrase is: “COULDN’T care less.” What kind of sense does “could care less” make?

I don’t clean any of my guitars, and my most beat one is an NOS Custom Shop Fender that I’ve had since 2003. The one “relic” I have (actually a “Rustic” by G&L) doesn’t actually get played much, so it’s hard to say how I treat it. I’ve had it since 2012, and I don’t think I’ve put any damage on it.

Jlwctn, El Marin and rze99 like this.
  2. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

They all have buckle rash, too?

3. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Ha-ha, I plead the 5th Amendment. :p

Ronzo and Dismalhead like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I used to hate Relic guitars until I owned a properly done one. It gave me freedom from worry and freedom to dig in -- my playing became a lot better.
    Ever since then I buy the broken, abused, neglected, and beaten guitars (for cheap) where I fix them up to play and sound great and my playing has never been better.

8trackmind, Jakedog and tery like this.
  5. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I, too, dislike "reliced" guitars. Wear, incurred while being played, is ok. That said, I take pains to keep mine as pristine as I can- paid too much for them to screw them upon purpose. If that's anal, so be it!

El Marin, idjster and Dismalhead like this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Have had some replica and actually have non-relic guitars. Almost all have dings and dent, I like it and just keep playing them.

I don't abuse, I just use them.

7. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not bothered about marks, dings, scratches etc. I like the look of the ones I own, but they are there to play. I take care of them, but....life.

mimmo and idjster like this.
  8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Regardless of the guitars finish or condition...I just wipe the strings down after play.

9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My guitars (except for my 1976 Strat, that I bought in 1976) all look very close to brand new. In part because I like to keep them nice, they don't leave my music room, and in part because I have so many to spread my playing out across. It's just my nature to keep all of my stuff really nice. It's a personality quirk - I'm sure. :rolleyes:

I really, probably should break down and buy a relic! o_O Might do me some good (psychologically).

The thought just occurred to me that I could sacrifice one of the ones that I have, by relic-ing it - but they just look too beautiful to do that to them. :lol:

I may have to look for a well-used Tele on eBay or Reverb, which already has a good bit of wear on it, for a low price. Then have my way with it!

10. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I'm in the "guitar is a tool" catagory. I love them all and think of them as tiny works of art but...if you play them and if you gig them, they will get torn up.
    Most of mine are beat up, it's all good.

SheldonP and idjster like this.
  11. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Same here. I have three guitars that I have bought new, and they're still dent-free because I mostly play my teles *facepalm*.

All of my teles were bought used and one was built with a worn appearance. They all have missing finish!

12. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

i do try to keep my relic strat looking as good as new..;)

Paulie_Boy likes this.
  13. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic

You're not painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa. I tear mine apart, sand, rout and mod 'em to make them as usable (to me) as possible. I don't care about the resale value because I rarely sell them. I keep them because I'm happy with what I did to them and they don't wear out. (I stopped counting at guitar #75. Playing since 1967.) Make them yours.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    twangdude, Bendyha and esseff like this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Great. Yep and that's totally cool for people playing all the time and gigging, but many here are just armchair hobby aspirational players who are going to produce zero wear so it's not an option for them.

Jim603 likes this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My youngest daughter once accused me of putting the "anal" in analytical. :oops:

So that aspect of my personality, when applied to my guitars, makes me careful as I can be with them. (It also means that I would never buy a "road worn.") So I wipe them down after playing, and do my dead level best not to ding them in any way.

Trouble is, I'm also a klutz. So invariably, my guitars do get dinged, scuffed, etc. In the moment when it happens, my heart sinks, and I grieve over the blemish my guitar now has because of my clumsiness. But not long after, it becomes a part of the guitar, and evidence that they are truly played, and I no longer think about it.

BTW, that being careful with my guitars even applies to two of my teles I call "Firecasters," the ones pictured in my avatar. They are both made from old growth construction grade Long Leaf Pine salvaged from our house fire in 2010. They have knots in the wood, nail holes and even bits of nail embedded in the wood. They haven't been antiqued or "relic'ed," they just are what they are. They show that they are guitars made from 84 year old planks of lumber that were hammered on, nailed into and have been through several hurricanes and a house fire, and lived to tell their story. I have clumsily added dings to them as well, but even with rough looking woods, I cringed at each ding.

JSKC and Ronzo like this.
  16. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

When I finish playing my guitar I wipe it down. I take care of my equipment. It is ingrained.

GreatDaneRock and Ronzo like this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Not exactly

I used to wipe my A.O original off after playing, then I realized wiping it off was dulling the finish worse than just handling it. I pretty much stopped wiping er down unless it gets a lot of sweat on it. Same goes for my other nitro guitars.

aerhed likes this.
  18. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I'd like a lightweight Roadworn Tele but never seem to be at a point where funds and opportunity coincide. Maybe one day.

I'm not good with damage on guitars tho, or any dents on the neck. I have bought a few used ones that i knew had dings, thinking that i wouldn't worry and just play them. But my mindset is all wrong so i end up either selling them on or spending ages trying to fix them up.

That said, i do prefer a guitar with playing time on the clock, so things like screws tarnish a bit and brass saddles get that mix of shine and dulling. Nicer than all brand new, shiny and looking unused.

19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I came here to see what the 'anal perspective' is. I thought maybe sun didn't shine on your guitars?

I will let myself out

20. Fuggle

Fuggle TDPRI Member

^This.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.