An "anal" perspective on Road Worn Guitars :)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

I have a few Telecaster's (ALL that I love!), and all of them look beautiful and new except my '50s Road Worn Blonde Telecaster.

I have noted, and this is where the "anal" part comes in, that on the one's that are new looking, I'm constantly wiping fingerprint's, smudges and dust off of them, and I take EXTRA care when handling them to make sure I don't scratch/ding them.

But on the Road Worn, I could care less about fingerprint's/smudge's/ding's/dust/etc., and I just play it.

Do any of you have similar feelings like this? :)

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Yes. Some people think this is part of the reason to own a relic or a guitar with some wear on it (real or not). I'm inclined to agree to some extent, mostly because real wear and tear isn't always just cosmetic and it's nice to have a guitar look weathered but still be functional.

hemingway likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

No. All my guitars except one or two were bought used and so if when they get dings and marks I don’t care much. Just play em.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, basically.

I have one partscaster that has just naturally worn into relic status, and I have just let it get comfy.

I also have a couple of necks where I sanded off the finish and let my oily, grubby hands do their worst. They feel better the grubbier they get.

Jakedog and scelestus like this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

I've probably bought and sold 100 guitars in my life. I've only bought 1 guitar new. It was my first electric around 1990. I like guitars with dents a dings. I had a really clean (but used) Les Paul once and it freaked me out, I was too worried about dinging it. I sold it.

6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

no

radiocaster likes this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Go on....

skunqesh and That Cal Webway like this.
  8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Is the "road worn" worth less money if you accidentally get any actual wear on it and it is no longer identical to every other printed "road worn" pattern?
    From what I have seen they are all the same and identical just like shiny new guitars.

Saw an ad..."Road Worn" Fender guitar absolutely mint new in box.

9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah - I wish that I had bought all reliced guitars … I could have had a lot more fun .

10. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I don't cry if any of mine get dinked or buckle-rashed. They're for playing, not worshipping, and they sound just the same, scratched or unscratched.
    Rough and ready is cool - wanna see pictures of my past girlfriends... :D

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

i hate that term used in a psychological sense.
    It just proves Freud was full of **** :p

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Buying to at Vs buying to collect. Both are fine. I do the former. Gigging, things get dinged.

13. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

I try to keep all of my guitars looking good but don’t obsess over them. I play them , wipe the strings and fretboard then put them away . If one starts looking too messy l spend a little more time and give it a quick clean up . A good cleaning is always part of a string change .
    But when I see damage or wear I’m looking for a way to fix it or at least make it less noticeable.

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  14. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I'll spend hours trying to learn something and then forget it completely a few weeks later. So lately, I've been videotaping myself playing passages with reminders of what I'm doing. I watched one today and was distracted by how much gunk is on my fretboard. I never notice it from the player position. But when the camera is facing the fretboard and zoomed in on the fretting hand, it becomes super apparent (and gross).

15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi Mike!

My Road Worn has been custom relic'd by a friend that used to work at Nash Guitar's, but that's not the point :)

I was thinking more along the lines that a Road Worn, or ANY guitar for that matter, that start's to show battle scar's, is perhap's more enjoyable than one that a player is afraid to have fingerprint's/smudges/dust/scratches/dings/etc. on the guitar.

Remember that I used the word "anal" :) :) :)

16. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Holic

At the moment, all of Telecasters are polyurethane. I don’t care for the plasticky look so I tend to leave dirt, smudges, and finger prints in place. Now the fret board that is different. That I do try and keep clean. I try and be careful about the dings and what not, but they are tools, and they are meant to be used not hung on the wall and stared at…

17. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Yes and no.

I could and do care about “fingerprint’s/smudge’s/ding’s” but not as much as I like fingerprints, smudges and dings. But what about dust’s?

What are these “feelings” you are asking about? Do you mean “feeling’s?”

(Anal, you say?)

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

It's probably my OCD, but I can't get into worn guitars, whether truly old and beat or brand new to look that way.

My best Tele did come with a few decent sized dings and I'm leaving it be, but the rest of my guitars are all pristine, shiny, and new looking - even the ones that are 40 years old. I spend time after playing each to keep them that way. I bought a used Kramer shredder a couple of years ago for cheap; it's got a couple of big dings on the back like someone hit it with a ball peen hammer. Now that I'm not working I'm planning to strip and refinish it so it's as nice as my others.

I haven't dinged a guitar really good myself in a long time - probably 25 years or so. Not sure why, but I did my fair share bashing them up when I was in my teens and twenties. Glad that's over with.

simond and wrvond like this.
  19. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Once they are bought I hardly look at them , it's just a tool.
    Different tools , all of them.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I don't like road worn guitars. I mean... factory done

I road wear my guitars naturally by playing them and the relic is totally different to those I see in shops and forums

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.