1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

An acoustic bent…

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LGOberean, Jan 25, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I feel almost unfaithful to my teles, but I’ve had an acoustic bent of late.

Not bent as in twisted, but an inclination—a leaning or proclivity towards, a penchant or preference for—playing my acoustics.

In a way, it started with my most recent acquisition, a ‘70s Japanese vintage Hohner HG-14 classical guitar. Whenever a new item is added to my guitarsenal, I play it a lot. And I got that classical late September of last year.

But it also has to do with the gigging situation of late. I haven’t had a paying gig since an outdoor gig December 5th, and even then, I played my Logan Custom acoustic/electric guitar on that one (going into my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp).

12-22-2020 - Aggie & LBMC.jpg

And that guitar is really fun to play unplugged. Some of y’all would probably use it like a “couch” guitar, to noodle around on while watching TV or something. I can’t use it that way. My wife gets too distracted with me playing guitar while we’re watching TV, or even if we’re just having a conversation. So a lot of times that is my guitar of choice for after she’s gone to bed, and for the better part of the month of December I played that tele-sized a/e unplugged most every night.

I have several other acoustics (and/or acoustic/electrics) that I've been playing as well. But lately my inclination has been to play my guitars that remind me of my childhood: a Gretsch Jim Dandy and a Harmony Broadway H954. The former is an homage to a Stella by Harmony my Dad had in the early ‘60s, the latter to his archtop (also Harmony brand, albeit a different model from the one I have).

Gretsch Jim Dandy G9500 & 1953 Harmony Broadway H954.jpeg

So even though I love my teles and they're not going anywhere, for a couple of months or more it's been mostly acoustic playing for me. What about the rest of you? Anyone presently in acoustic heaven (so to speak) because you’re taking a break from electric?

2. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

Nice! I gave my father the exact Harmony Broadway guitar 30+ years ago and he still plays it often at 86 years old. It's in fantastic condition like yours.

3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

100% acousticly bent these days.

I stopped playing electric except for occasional jams, but the last one of those was summer 2019, and then nothing. With some diminished hearing as I rounded the 70 turn I decided to reduce my exposure to loud noises, and the pandemic made that easy, so I sold my amp and gave away my last electric guitar, microcube and a couple pedals (guitars 4 vets); even sold the acoustic electric. Now I have only 2 guitars, both acoustic. One is one that I made back in 1980, and has seen some abuse (not all mine) but serves its purpose as a good "campfire" guitar, assuming even I get to do that again, and the other was kind of an early birthday gift, so is my main guitar for the few times I decide to record, or maybe when some folks are ready to get together sometime this year for some back porch pickin'.

OMx2.jpg

Daddydex, VWAmTele and LGOberean like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

9371B7FB-CA8B-489A-8060-E0581445F6DE.jpeg This has been inspiring me lately!

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I typically go with pretty much all acoustic or all Tele for pretty long stretches, sometimes months. My Tele is sitting here at the ready in the family room, and it’s actually a bit easier to putz around on if the TV is on. My amp sits across the room so my ear isn’t trying to fight off the sound of a guitar in my lap to hear the TV. Yeah, my playing hasn’t been very serious this year.

I did start bringing this down a week ago and as I’m really more of an acoustic player it’s nice to be playing it again. I also have a couple old Gibsons but man, this AJRI has been with me for 18 years and is simply an incredible guitar. FE6F6FA7-CECE-4AA9-BCA5-6C8489E0F48F.jpeg

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I play my acoustics about 80% of the time, and my wife just got me a lovely little Alvarez parlor for Christmas that I've been playing almost exclusively since then. But I'm planning on doing some home recording in the near future, so I'll be dusting off the electrics again.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. LGOberean

I'm curious now...what year model was the Broadway you gave your father? Mine's date-stamped "F-53," which as I understand it signifies "First-1953" (i.e., made in the first half of the production year in 1953). I bought this one last May because I was not only after a Harmony archtop like the one I cut my guitar-playing teeth on, but a birth year guitar as well.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Up until recently, and getting a Micro Cube, specifically for playing electrics in our apartment ( which I am indeed doing a bit now), I have always played just acoustic (daily here. 4 years.

Even when we had our house and playing electrics at a moderate volume was not an issue, I still preferred playing acoustic at home.

I played so many band gigs ( electric)
    I guess I had no desire to plug in at home, except if I got a new guitar/amp/effect, and I wanted to try things out.
    But for enjoyment, always acoustic.

Now I do 50/50 acoustic or electric gigs, now enjoy just playing any guitar in our apartment, so I go back and forth.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Wow! Strictly acoustic! Even though I've only rarely played one or the other of my teles in the last couple of months, I don't think I could go back to only acoustic. Like I said, I love my teles and they're not going anywhere. And even though I turned 67 in November, I don't really worry about volume levels when I play. The amp I use is a Vox Pathfinder 15R, which gives me sweet tones at bearable levels.

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

That's a beautiful Texan - how old?

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. LGOberean

Ah, yes...the Texan! That would inspire me, too!

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have been way more focused on acoustic than electric for the last few years, but I am ramping up more on electric lately along with electric bass too. It is interesting how the pendulum swings.

Call Me Al, nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It’s a 1963.
    I owned another 63 Texan from 1975 to 1995.
    My first had a natural finish.
    My “new” one sounds and plays just like my first!

VWAmTele and nojazzhere like this.
  14. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I have been primarily an acoustic player since I began playing in 1957. Played electric in bands through high school and college and for a few years after that, but still played acoustic at home. From the early 70’s through the mid 90’s I didn’t even own an electric and really didn’t miss it.

I still play far more acoustic than electric. My oldest acoustic is a 1959 Guild archtop that I have had for many years.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Probably 90% of my playing at home is on my 2019 Tele-style partscaster, unplugged. I can hear it just fine, and that guitar is just SO comfortable for me. I have five "acoustic" instruments hanging in my music room,....a soprano ukulele, a baritone ukulele, a Dean Playmate (little half-size six string) a Yamaha FG-Jr six string, (3/4 size six string) and a Washburn Auditorium-size six string. I also have, back in a bedroom, a super cheap Rogue six string, that I used when I did music therapy with my Special Needs students. Occasionally I'll grab my PRS SE One, Grote 335-style, or a Hofner Club Bass to fool around on or work out parts, but those I rarely "plug in" either. ;)
    This is the main reason I'm pretty ineffective with effects pedals.....I don't practice much with them. ;)

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Most of us start on acoustics so it's natural to get into the acoustic frame of mine. I love playing rock and blues but my first love is basic strumming and light picking on the acoustic. It has a lot to do with being an adolescent and teen in the 60s. It's the most familiar and comfortable music for me.

17. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I go back and forth: periods of mostly acoustic and periods of mostly electric. Let the muse take you where it will.

18. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

38D46AF6-DD64-4FDD-9C75-937BC7C58E07.png 86758406-835D-4109-A2A9-F3033A2EE93B.jpeg

D18-Authentic (top) d18ge (bottom). Put the teles away for awhile now. Have always been 90% acoustic but since Covid I have hardly touched the electrics so put them up in their cases. Really don’t miss it.

19. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Like a lot of folks posting here, I started on acoustic, though had a few years a couple times where I played almost all electric. So, it's completing the circle I guess.

And, my last amp was a Blues Cube that I could dial down to a half watt at home or 5 in a garage or basement jam, so it wasn't my volume that was the problem, it was everyone else, and the drummer (or drummers sometimes!). I loved the playing and all, but I like hearing more, so just decided to remove the temptation. So far I'm holding strong :)

20. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I just finished this baby up, been trying to for decades. You know, building a house, raising kids, working full time etc. Well retirement finally allowed me to get 'er done and now I can get back to playing swing and jazz!
    P1020743.jpg
    I also bought myself a rosewood dread, something I've always wanted but a luxury I wouldn't afford myself. So I'm working on flatpicking and playing bluegrass/Americana with friends.
    P1020711.jpg
    But, my every week gig is still church praise and worship, so the tele and Princeton Reverb get a regular workout.
    Final Top.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.