1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. GlenParrish

GlenParrish Tele-Meister

My sentiments, exactly. I'd rather hear my guitar through my tubes minus the sea of springy mush. Same goes for vocals.

2. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Peavey Classic 20 falls neatly into this category. People rave about this amp and I don't understand why, unless you really, really like the one sound that this amp does well.

3. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

In the 1980's, I spent a lot of money and bought a new Randall Commander II amp after reading several RAVE reviews of it in some of them guitar player type magazines.

I was terribly disappointed with it.

NOTHING I found on it sounded real...it was completely fake...should have had a "suckage" control starting at 11.

I don't even remember how I got rid of it, but I now have several Peavey solid state amps from the same era that are great and very different. I think I paid less for all 4 Peavey amps together than I once paid for the Randall.

mark

4. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Many people like these amps, and I don't claim that they're bad - they just didn't work for me.

Blues Jr. - I know they can be modded to sound better, but the ones I've played through (unmodded) sounded harsh and thin, especially with a Tele.

Evans TE200 (Tiny Evans) - I found mine to be useless for anything but jazz, and I didn't like its jazz tones as much as my Roland Cube 60 (1/4 the price).

Swart Space Tone - I found this amp to be muddy sounding. I tried 3 or 4 different speakers, then sold it. The VHT Special 6 and the Emery Micro Baby sound much better, IMHO.

Fender Champ - Like the Swart , the VHT Special 6 and the Emery Micro Baby sound much better, IMHO.

5. PeterVV

PeterVV Tele-Afflicted

When I first got a job, I saved for 6 months to get a brand spanking new Twin Reverb, got it home, and thought......why? tooo clean, swapped it to some guy for a Marshall stack which I used for about a year ( never above 2!) , then I saw the light and got a Peavey Deuce, 20 years later still lugging the heavy b****d thing around. Funny how you dont think about the weight of amps until you hit your forties....

6. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

My car's amp I realy hate it .....
    and Matrix amps ,once upon a time... i had one and smash it with a sledge hammer.

7. gtrjake

gtrjake TDPRI Member

Marshall Valvestate. I used one for awhile, and it just sucked the life out of my guitar, and had no balls whatsoever! Use 'em all for boat anchors, I say!

8. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Swart Space Tone - totally boxy sounding to me.

9. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

While not a bad amp by any measure, the Twin Reverb is overrated. I think the Princeton Reverbs and Deluxe Reverbs sound better. You can get some great overdrive on a Twin but you have to crank it up too loud to achieve it. With the smaller classic Fender amps like the Princeton or Deluxe, you can get a great overdrive at a decent volume and not go deaf. If you need sheer volume, the Twin is definitely better, but then again that's what mics are for with PAs.

While 100 watt Marshalls are great for distortion, I don't like their clean tone (too harsh and metallic sounding) but then again I have never heard anybody applauding a large Marshall for its clean tone.

10. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

I will second the Marshall Valvestate. A guy in my band has one and I don't have the heart to tell him how bad it sounds. Sounds like a swarm of bees coming out of a wood pile.

11. KMoss

KMoss TDPRI Member

Preach on brother...can I get a witness!!!

12. jeb stuart

jeb stuart Tele-Holic

when i bought my 65 DRRI it was the second one i looked at that day. played my standard telecaster through the first one and it was way to shrill. so let down. so i lug the thing out onto the showroom floor not knowing what to do cause i got issues with just about every other amp on the floor, ie. country of manufacturing , SS (i already have a SS i like), brands im not to familiar with etc. this is a big purchase for me that i wont make again for a long time so yes brand matters some. anyway i walk by a blonde 65DRRI for a extra hundred or so. i assume the extra $ means different/better features. so i lug it into the back and jam out and fall in love. just a real inspiring instrument. the sales guy tells me the only difference is the blond tolex over the black.
    so my question is can there be that much of a difference between two amps that are suppose to be the same model. and does anyone else have the blonde 2010 65 DRRI and if so how does it compare to the stock ones you have played. do blonds really just have more fun. sorry i dont have a most under rated amp. i have honestly never found one i didnt just enjoy turning way the he11 up. though there are a lot i have not played

13. Burnt Gerbil

Burnt Gerbil Tele-Meister

Well, there are 4 volume knobs... but who's counting?! I have one (until it sells) and the number of knobs is nowhere near the top of the list on reasons why we are parting ways.

14. chileseason

chileseason Tele-Meister

I have, reluctantly, borrowed several Peaveys. They are the Chrysler of amps. The skank at the lingerie show, I have owned an Acoustic 200 watt head and 4x12 cab, when i was 19 0r 20, just somethin' to power a student model shobud pedal steel. I think I broke three or four widows in our houe before I sold the head for $200 to a bass player, and the cab, 32 years later, is still sitting under a bunch of junk at afriend's house down in Midlothian. I used a Crate once, but it was so ugly and sounded so bad that I put an old oversize t-shirt on it as a cover, and trucker gimmie hat on top before I stuck my plug in. A deluxe reverb had done fine by me for many moons, and I also have a 62 brown princeton. Those two are great for most every job I'm likely to ever get(and sound great together!), and a cheap monkey wards 12 watt that's great for the house and sounds better than any Champ I've ever heard. Great tone. Still got a rovin' eye, er, ear though.

15. shorty1

shorty1 Tele-Meister

In my experience,the winners of the most over rated
    unreliable - Vox AC30,vintage Laneys,Behringer,WEM/Watkins.
    Sound - Acoustic,Behringer,Hartke,Marshall solid state especially Valvestate,WEM/Watkins.

16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Mesa Boogie Mark I & II ...and Marshall silver jubilees.

17. Stewart Ward

Stewart Ward Banned

Right on the nail Bro! I've been saying this since Trace Elliot and Mark King made bass a tinny lead instrument! It's the BASS AND DRUMS that triggers sound meter/switches, not the guitars or vocals!

Modern drums are way too loud... and for what reason? So that everyone else can turn up even louder? So that I can go to hospital with perforated ear drums?

Hey... this is a whole new thread!!

18. Stewart Ward

Stewart Ward Banned

All the time players read magazine reviews and buy what they suggest, there is a potential to falsify popularity of certain products... consider this story below:

"A man went out to buy a new pair of shoes because his were letting in water. He searched all the shops and could not find any he liked. So he went back to one shop and bought a pair he found adequate... he was desperate remember. This situation was very much the same for many other people too.

The retailers thought "Ah, these shoes have sold very well" and ordered more! But because they'd been so popular, they thought they'd beat the supplier down for more discount. Resultantly, the shoe maker used cheaper materials to make the next production run and lowered the price... but they still looked the same. In the end, they were made off shore.

So now, the shoe shops are filled with cheap, functional looking shoes that ware out quickly, and that the customers didn't really like in the first place!"

Hmmmm! It's trend that's developed in the guitar and amp world too!

Anyone recognise this question? "Which really cool looking '15W tweed' amp can I buy, because I'm just starting out playing?"

Because there are sooooo many first time players, who have money to spend, but don't really have much clue about what a good amp should sound like, they buy 'something' which there also clueless mates have already bought. Thus falsifying the 'amp popularity' charts quite a bit!

No, you REALLY have to learn your craft before you're able to buy THE right amp by relying 100% on your own opinions... and try loadz! Don't go on what's popular, because they are usually popular for ALL the wrong reasons, as far as a more critical seasoned player is concerned.

And DON'T try to find an amp with a tone you've heard on a record... no amp can make those tones on their own live! Even a simple guitar & amp tone is radically enhanced by the type of mic used to record it. So don't even go there. Judge it on the LIVE tone only.

Just my observations after being in this industry full time since 1979.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  19. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I'm just the opposite. I love Marshall cleans. They have a depth that, to my ears, no Fender can produce. I love the sound of a Fender when it's overdriven, but for straight clean or distortion I''ll take a Marshall.

Justin

20. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Yep!
    Most people never stop to think just how much power a modern band, even a small, weekend-warrior type outfit, kicks out these days. Practically any garage band out there has more power available than the Beatles did when they played arenas! And most of that overkill is to stay ahead of the drums.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.