1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

I don't care for Marshalls. It seems they only "do their thing" at volume levels I simply cannot tolerate, and otherwise sound brash and tubby to me. I've always supposed that their reputation stems from rockers who can actually stand the necessary volume levels. I cannot.

I use a '65 DR, but simply cannot bear to crank it up - it's overwhelming at gigs once turned up past 4. I usually like a very clean sound, and the DR stays clean up to and over any level I want to be around. It sounds fabulous that way.

Come to think of it, I've never used a cranked amp at a gig, no matter what it was. Too loud, too dirty, no dynamics. I know that's how a lot of folks get their sound but I can't do that.

So: cranked up amps are overrated.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Ya I got a Marshall 1987 it aint a bad amp but I almost never get to use it. When's the next Woodstock?

3. toddfan

toddfan Tele-Holic

Oh Nooo....

I LOVE Mine!...but, then again....I can hardly play!

4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

My friend and guitar teacher when I was in high school had a hot-rodded 1987x. A beautiful sound... but he stood in the next room when he played it at home. :lol:

5. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

It's funny, but I prefer Marshall cleans to Fender cleans. I know Fender is supposedly the be all and end all of clean tone, but the sound leaves me kind of flat. On the other hand, I love the sound of a warmed up Fender, just at the saturation point. I don't think any amp can sing quite like one once it hits the sweet spot.

Justin

6. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

If this thread proves anything, it's that amps are amps. They all take voltage through tubes or transistors and make speakers move cones. Danny Gatton could make a Silvertone amp-in-a-case sound good if he had to. We all end up loving our amps eventually -- the sooner the better. :D

7. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

My frustration with current amps led to me not using one at all, I sold everything and purchased a small PA, now I use crappy pedals and get closer to a great sound.
    I purchased these based on glowing reviews.
    The Vox Brian May was a totally overrated toy.
    The Behringer Vintage stung my ears.
    The Epiphone VJ required some mods but is the only one I kept.
    The Fender Super Champ xd. I don't miss it.

8. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

Wow. This topic kinda touches a nerve don't it.

9. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

Not to be fussy, this kind of cuts both ways, but on the Layla album the recording engineers used differing amounts of vari-speed on the tape machine during mix down of each tune for the sake of "feel." Thus the complaints/raves/criticisms about tuning and tone on that record. I think Tom Dowd mentions it in that documentary that they put out on him. Anywho, I'm not sure we know what that champ that Clapton played through really sounded like.

As for my 2 cents, I've never fallen in love with any Peavey amp, and the couple of Music Man amps that I've played through just seemed to have something missing. Have't met a modeling amp I love either but a lot of the modeling plug-ins sound pretty good. I can't figure that one out.

10. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I have always heard that those tweed Champs were moded with some internal changes & a JBL speaker

11. StarliteDeVille

StarliteDeVille Tele-Meister

Wow. We both have NT's now, and we both have owned one of these at some point? This was my first amp when I was a little kid. I had this and a Fender Lead II (kind of Strat-looking guitar that I don't think lasted very long). I was eight or nine. It made loud noise, and that was all that mattered then and all I recall about the sound of that setup.

12. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

I think the real lesson here is to start listening to your ears and not to "glowing reviews"....all of those amps you listed are toys IMO and I would not expect much from any of them.

All too many reviews are written by 14 year old zit-faced kids, sitting in their bedrooms, who want so desperately to give their definitive points of view on equipment without having used any professional gear as a reference point or any experience as a working musician.

13. TeleGS

TeleGS TDPRI Member

Wow - I love mine.

14. Jason G

Jason G Tele-Meister

Well Jakedog, your post really resonates with me. I, too, love a great sounding EL34 amp pumping out those magical cleans! What model of Marshall are you using... if you don't mind sharing? I'd sure like to have one of the Silver Anniversary Jubilee models, the short head(the model # escapes me... 2553, 2554?). I also like a well tuned hybrid Artist 3203. And of course dig most any bassman variant and the Plexi circuits.

I also like alot of sound on stage, where you can feel it blowing by. Unfortunately most stages these days can be overpowered by 4 12's. 2x12 or 4x10 though...:cool:

As for amps I don't like or think overrated? Really the Blues Jr gets me. I don't think it's bad as much as it is SO popular. Folks are spending alot on these things new and then several hundred dollars more for speaker upgrades, various circuit mods, and pricey tubes. Just makes no sense to have close to $1000 sunk into one of these when there are so many great amps out there to be had for that price and less.

Jason G

15. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

It's so nice to have a consensus. Seriously, though, if this thread proves anything, it's how personal an amp choice is...the guitars always seem to come first, but it's so critical to bond with an amp, just as it is with a guitar.

For my part, I'll agree with whoever said, "Nearly any amp with an 8" speaker." And say what you will, but I just got one of those Mustang IIIs as a practice amp, and after tweaking it via the Fuse software, there is really something to it. And I find messing with all the available settings in the software to be strangely addictive...

Trust me, I'm a tube amp fan, and I know how weird it sounds to talk about "tweaking the software" with respect to an amp. But hey, I can accept technology, and all I know for sure is that if it sounds good, it is good.

16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Tele-Afflicted

Small amps with no headroom, which people seem to think are the bee's knees right now. I find them so confining and frustrating. I don't want my tone to have to sound all dirtied up like that at certain volumes.

17. Shadowcaster

Shadowcaster TDPRI Member

any amp without reverb. i don't see how anything without reverb sounds good to people.

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agree on both counts.

19. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For playing out, reverb isn't as important to me... but for playing in my house, an amp MUST have reverb for me to like it.

20. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

As Colo says, maybe it has a bedroom playing function, but not having reverb on my amp means that I have learned to generate a limited effect through playing dynamics (sustain and vibrato)......gigging its never been an issue as most rooms provide sufficient - for me reverb muddies up any moderately intricate piece of playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.