1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

1980's Gorilla Banana
    1980's Roland Cube
    1980's E-H Mike Mathews Dirt Road Special
    1980's Crates that looked like wooden crates

[​IMG]

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

One hundred posts and what have we learned?
    Ah crap I got nothing.
    Just wanted to be the one hundred and first poster !

3. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

Anything with tubes.

4. Gringo13

Gringo13 Tele-Holic

So far I think that the original Fender tweeds are safe (given they're ALL original with 12" speakers).

I think this thread should be divided into multiple groups...
    1. Those with unlimited funds
    2. Those who only play in their socks
    3. Those who gig on a regular basis and have to haul their crap and adjust on the fly
    4. Those who play well enough to find their tone with anything
    5. Those who play "this" type of music
    6. Those who play for other musicians, as opposed to playing for a rowdy bunch of blue collar drunks

At the end of the day, we know that Keef and Clapton were obviously wrong and that amps are much like the Holy Grail.

I do know this... I couldn't find "my" tone with a Hot Rod Deluxe, but the last two lead guitarists I've played with have sounded amazing with that same amp... even with it's "horrendous" drive channel.

Just my .02

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I would say anything without tubes. But there's a lot of crappy tube amps.
    I have yet to play a SS amp I like. But I aint played one in 20 years.

6. twangster2

twangster2 -----------------------

All joking aside. I can find my tone on anything with a bit of knob turning.

7. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I don't agree that all amps a craxxy, The AC-4 is the worlds best...and has only 1 tube to go bad...

This is the best amp ever, it can handle all gigs, all concerts, even fits in your suitcase. And you can hide it in the cupboard when your in laws come over, maybe you can hide along with the amp !

for home you set it in the 1/10 watt mode
    for regular gigs set it in the 1 watt mode
    For Shea stadium set it in the 4 watt mode

Your drummer will hate you for buying this amp as he will never be able to able to drown you out, you have 3 settings he only has 1...

Attached Files:

8. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Pull yourself together Private!

[​IMG]

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Sirr..It's the never ending daily Mashed Potatoes, I can't take it anymore :(...

10. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I will only comment on amps I have owned. And I am strictly addressing the 'over rated' issue based on my own needs.

I'd have to go with Twins. Yes, they can sound amazing. But in my gigging situations, I could rarely get it into what I considered it's 'sweet spot'. They are too powerful, and way to heavy to move around (casters do not work on stairs). I saw no benefit whatsoever to owning one. If I had a recording studio, I would keep one around. But for gigging they are a nightmare.

11. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

I have a Tiny Terror head I have been gigging and jamming with since last summer. All I changed were the stock tubes. A pretty inexpensive upgrade. For the heavier rock n' roll style I play it's just a fantastic amp and was a fantastic price. Not all of these amps need to be modded like crazy.

12. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  13. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Yep; just make sure you have a BIG back seat..:D

14. whoisalhedges

whoisalhedges Tele-Meister

Yeah, I'm in with most here, it seems like.

Crappy amps aren't overrated. Gorillas, etc. are not overrated by anyone, we all know they're crap. Otherwise, it's "overrated FOR ME."

Twins -- if you can't crank it past 5 or 6 (and in most situations, you can't), you won't get the full benefit. Really, ANY 50+ watt amp will be rough if you want power tube OD at anything less than outdoor/huge venue volumes. That said, if you're playing outdoors, if you use pedals for dirt, and if YOU HAVE A ROADIE ;) , the Twin Reverb is as wonderful an amplifier as has ever been invented.

15 watters, OTOH, are fine if you've got enough driver real estate and don't mind a little hair. But if you want clean headroom at the gig, they're useless.

If what you really want are Hiwatt cleans, don't get a Fender. If you really want Marshall OD, don't get an Orange. Get what you want, and what you need for what you're going to be doing.

Modeling amps -- I've never played one that I like. So what? For someone just starting out, they're a godsend. They let the beginner find out what sound he/she is looking for, and let you know what you might be looking for when you graduate to a "real" amp. These days, I don't think any beginning guitarist should start out with anything but a Mustang or a Vox modeler.

5w practice amps -- no, you shouldn't gig it (IMO), even miked, but YMMV. Still, there are so many flavors out there: Champ, AC4, Marshall, various SS bedroom amps, what have you. I certainly can't call them overrated, not anything that has YOUR SOUND that you can play in an apartment can possibly be bad.

15. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I can think of amps that I don't like, and even amps that I know are capable of good sounds but which I can't seem to make work for me. (Vox AC30, for example, is obviously a great amp but I always sound awful playing through one, which is a real blow to me as a Beatles fan.) But I can't really call those amps over-rated.

An amp that seems truly over-rated in terms of hype is the Fender '57 Deluxe, and there maybe "overpriced" is simply the issue as I think it sounds good. It's presented as essentilly the official clone of the original 5E3 Deluxes, but it's more expensive than other clones that are more painstaking reproductions. For example, Fender uses spade connectors in the guts of the amp. I would be fine with that if the cost savings was passed on to me the consumer, but instead it's a profit-maximizing move rather than a cost-reducing move. For about the same amount of money or even much less, I can have a true PTP amp that has been made with a degree of love and attention to detail that would make Leo proud.

[​IMG]

16. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Combo guitar amps with 6" or 8" speakers. Although there are some great ones, It just does not do a lot for me.

17. Dflo

Dflo Tele-Meister

Its so much easyer to talk about what we don't like rather than what we do,,,,

18. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I see alot of folks lamenting the "lack of head room" of vintage 1x12 combos in the 12-15 watt range.
    One of the things to remember is that most of these were designed at a time when the other instruments in the band were much less developed than they are now &..easy listening, jazz & country were the styles that the AC-15 , Tweed Deluxe, Watkins Ambassador etc. were developed to play
    Drummers played on a a small 4 piece kit with calf or single ply "ambassador" type heads..the standard stick was something like a 5b, hardware was so light that you could literaly knock things apart if you played too hard, so most didn't..the ported bass drum head didn't exist.
    The bass was upright, or if electric being played thru a 30-40 watt open back combo..
    And then there was the accordion...lol
    But the little guys could hang with the above with little problem, infact they probaly were often TOO loud.
    Rock came along and all the instruments became more powerful, including the guitar amp, but then many guitar players wanted to go back to vintage gear, so now at a bar gig you have a 100-150 watt 1x15 sealed back bass combo with shelving eq mated to a active 5 sting bass while the drummer is on a 5 piece kit with a ported 22" bass equiped with hardware that could be used to build a bridge & multi ply heads, and there is the guitar player with a antique from 1955 lol. No wonder you cant get any decent cleans. It would be like taking a Morris Minor or a Henry J out on the interstate and expecting it to blast along at 65 for 5 or six hours, and not over heat. even if they car was in perfect condition it wasn't designed for that, so you are going to have a few issues.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

3 knobs and a Red Fang and I'm fine...:lol:

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a Blues Junior, and I never just plug a guitar straight into it, because to me, the sound is sort of "blah". BUT put a pedalboard in front of it, and it seems to sort of come to life. Nice little small gig- rehearsal- jam amp. Not heavy, loud as hell with the pedalboard boost.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.