1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

"OK. So you paid 3k for an Amp (Clubman?) that doesn't do it for you."

No, that's what the guy wanted back in 91 or so when they came out, didn't like, didn't buy.

"Apart from your opinion of the amp only having "one sound" can you qualify why it's overrated?"

That and the price tag.

"One sound (without any pedals to colour it)....maybe.....but what a sound!"

A (singular) sound, exactly. Maybe the early models were different but the tone controls were almost useless, especially the cut.

"Want flexibility over tone? - Get a modelling amp. "

Or a tube amp with more flexibility. Modelling amps sound like ass!

2. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure that's not deduced from your own personal experience?! ;)

3. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about Red Stripe amps, but as a beer, it's lousy.

4. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

OTOH, just because you have a stack doesn't mean that you have to run it at full throttle. Same as with a 40w combo. In fact, my BFSR is louder at any given setting than my Marshall G100, which is part of the reason I usually use the Marshall. It's SS, so I can get a good tone at lower volumes than I can with the Fender. I only run it as a half-stack, though, because to my ears (such as they are) the sound is tighter.

Justin

5. longneck

longneck TDPRI Member

I think maybe the Champ should be under the 'most misunderstood' category. It IS a practice amp, so it will sound like a practice amp. Clapton is supposed to have used one on Layla era LP's. Wonder if it was the same Champ talked of here?
    regards, Zig

6. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

I have read that the Champ Clapton used was a tweed model, possibly with the tone stack bypassed, I can say I have a Vox Nighttrain that has a switch to bypass the tone stack and the difference is like the heavens opening up. So take that with you.

I just saw a quote, I think it was from Paul Reed Smith, it goes something like
    "most tone problems can be overcome by practice".

Discuss amongst yourselves.

7. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Except vintage Ampegs. early 70s V4s will still be cooking when all the twins are long dead and gone.

8. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

It seems that Champ cannot be said without tagging the Clapton Layla reference tagged onto it. For me, that's the second worst tone he's recorded.

What tonestack? Bought an SF Champ at a swap meet at a real bargain a few years ago that I fixed up for near nothing and tripled my $$. Couldn't sell it fast enough. yecchhh

Guess what my next build's gonna be...yep, tweed champ. Actually a Princeton-a champ with tone control. Gotta hear it for myself.

Blues Jr. is my pick for overrated, though not the worst. It's a pity imo, cause it's got a lot of potential. Just the right features, great size, looks cool, lightweight. Even with all the Billm mods it wasnt my cup of tea.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Some modeling amps sound like ass... I'll be happy to change your mind with mine any time. Never thought I'd play one for any longer than it took me to make fun of it. I've used one on more than 150 gigs in the last year. It sounds fantastic, takes up no space, and is pretty light. I'm not selling off my tube amps, but I AM a believer. Especially when people come up and ask what kind of amp I'm using and I get to show it to them. Love the ol' "jaw on the floor" effect it has on other players.:cool:

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Good amp...horrible beer.

I find it funny when these little Chinese affordable tube amps get so much praise. They're great...after you change the tubes, the speaker and apply whatever handful of mods costing as much or more than the amp itself. :rolleyes:

11. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I agree. There are some very nice modeling amps out there.

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Anything costing more than £500

Lots of great bargain, giggable valve amps to be had, on the second-hand market.......

13. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Here's another blast from the past that didn't do squat for me: Reverend Goblin. After extensive tweaking and noodling and (most importantly) playing time, it still sounded like a toy. I was disapoint to say the least. The only good to come of it was that I made money on it selling it on the bay. Thin and cheap.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

:oops::eek:

15. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Marshall stacks. Actually most stacks. You don't need that as we have PAs these days. They look the part, but then again thats a poor reason to keep one at the back. Never been inspired playing a Marshall amp. I guess its all in the distortion!

16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Marshall tube amps, bur for the clean tones... nothing else tickles me like that. EL34 cleans are where it's at for me. I usually use 2X12, but occasionally will pull out the 4X12 for a large gig. I have a modded 30 watt Marshall head running about 38 watts.

You get yourself on a big enough stage, and far enough away from your amp, and one of them little "I got a little amp because the PA is there and I can mic it" amps ain't gonna cut it. Not at all. Your amp will sound to you like it's million miles a way and tiny, because it is. That is where a Half stack comes in handy. I need to know that amp's behind me, and I need to feel it moving air on a stage that big. Not to mention, if you can't get enough sound to where you are on the stage, you can forget about feedback and other cool sustainy stuff. You can put it through the monitors more, but it ain't the same thing man, it really is not.

The bottom line for amps is use the right tool for the job. If you need a half stack, then play one. If you only need a 15 watt 1X10 combo, then play that.

But don't assume since there are better PA's nowadays that any large amp is overkill. Besides, if yo uhave the room on stage and in the venue to let one breath, then why not? It's a glorious sound.

17. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

ell,, that album had some of Clapton's worst tones, and he was ripped most if not all the time then, so I guess its relative.

T.

18. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

+1 on the little modelers...
    In the last 6 months or so I have picked up a used Vyper 15, Spyder III, DA-5 and a Mustang I

The Mustang was a floor model (missing the "candy") so it was $75, the others were less than $50..I was basicaly just curious as to what they could do & intended to flip them, maybe keeping the Mustang to expiriment with the Fuse SW.
    They all have a different thing going on, but they sound fine for the type of playing that I do, loud for their size, and easy on my aging joints.. :)

I had a collection of a half of dozen of the little class A guys, plus a few larger amps, this one for that & that one for this got old.. I have one left, and it will probably move along in a bit, the little modelers just work for me..eventualy I will decide on one, or two and that will be that.

19. G-P

G-P Tele-Meister

I don't think any amp is over hyped. I think some owners are exceptionally passionate about their amps or preferences for amps.

Marketing campaigns are just that, campaigns. Try to convince the younger generation of players that the key to today's tone lies in whatever amp is being pushed. I think Fender did this back in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I think most players sit down in front a perspective amp with a certain set of expectations. Valid or not, the amp is measured against those expectations rather than assessed for what it can do.

There is clearly a distinct group of amps that get more discussion than most. To say they are over hyped might be a inflammatory.

An amp is just as much of a musical instrument as the guitar. Just because it doesn't sing for you doesn't mean it won't sing for someone else.

I fight my 72 Marshall 50 watt head every time I turn it on. But in my brothers hands it sounds fantastic.

20. Rockworthy

Rockworthy NEW MEMBER!

After reading 75% of this thread I'm wondering if there is any amp worth a grain of salt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.