1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

ok, I'm piling on.
    Matchless.One sound. $3K, and that was a bargain.No thanks.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

There are amps I don't like, but I can't think of any amp that I was ready to love from a review and then when I plugged it in, I hated it. I don't care for the whole Fender Hot Rod/Blues Jr. amps, but I don't think I'd call them overrated.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually, my thoughts on that amp mirror yours pretty much exactly. But then, I've never met a tube amp under 30 watts that I liked. Some of them I think I do. I hear them, and think "Oh man, finally one that will work for me!". Then I get it to the gig, and hate it all night.

4. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, the red knobs are probably safe from this thread, since they're SO under-rated and universally derided :D

(even though I love mine)

5. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

You've got company. Loved the British demos on YouTube, didn't like it in person.

6. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Gorilla amps. Does that count? I bought one new when they first came out way back in the 80s. because I just wanted something to sit around and plug into when the mood struck that had a little bite to it. Well, the whole amp bites! <G>

To be fair, for a SS practice amp they are okay if you don't try to use the dirt settings, but once you crank the gain up... yuck!

As far as a 'real' amps go, while I like some better than others, I don't think I've ever met an amp that you couldn't get a usable tone out of, at least for gigging purposes. Some are way over-priced, but if nothing else slap a pedal or two out front and blast away!

Justin

7. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I actually liked my Champ 12..(although the drive channel IS a bit OTT)
    I bought mine NOS (book etc., cover; the whole shootin' match) for $150 @ 10-12 years ago...pretty good deal.

8. 5wattphil

5wattphil TDPRI Member

DSL

I had a Marshall DSL 401 briefly.
    It sounded good at the store.
    It sounded OK in my living room.
    It sounded twinky onstage.
    There were 12 knobs on the amp
    and each one made it sound worse.
    My friend and co-guitarist's Peavey Bandit
    easily ate my Marshall's lunch.
    I sold it.

9. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

:rolleyes:

OK. So you paid 3k for an Amp (Clubman?) that doesn't do it for you. Apart from your opinion of the amp only having "one sound" can you qualify why it's overrated?

The reason I ask is I find Matchless reasonably flexible for a high end amp whose aim is generally to do 1 or 2 things really well.
    One sound (without any pedals to colour it)....maybe.....but what a sound!

Want flexibility over tone? - Get a modelling amp. ;)

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

ah ha ! You're a pretty kool guy !

and yes ..me too...Fishing...My favorite Net sport !

Attached Files:

11. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't pull anything out of the head or combo...neither ever came home with me.

12. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

I thought I had the amp thing figured out. Then one night at a jam I had the luxury of playing an either minty Tweed Super or possibly a booteek remake (still not sure) and it was nice. Then when the owner of said tweed amp got back on stage, I was relagated to using a Red Stripe 1 12 Peavey Bandit. It had the Super beat in responsiveness, clean tone, overdriven tone, versatility, projection.....it just sounded WAAAAAYY better both up close and as I got some distance from the amp. The sound definitely bloomed and had that "organicness" I thought was exclusive to tube amps. I'm still baffled by this experience. Made me feel like an Athiest who just met God. All past judgements are now thrown out the window. 100% tubesnob no more.

13. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Dumble

14. Timbertea

Timbertea Tele-Holic

Amps like the Silverface Bronco, and Vibrochamp really only come alive when you turn up to the volume to 5-6 and beyond. Then you know what its about. Same dealio with my Kalamazoo Model I's. Below that, its like any other practice amp, above that, start getting the warmth.

For me its the Hot Rod Deluxe & Devilles, and Mesa Boogie Lonestar. I never could dial those in & be happy with the tones. Thankfully the latter has a pretty good resale value.

15. Steamroller

Steamroller Tele-Meister

Orange Rocker 30 ... I named it the "telekiller" .

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

The Red-Stripe Bandit is one of my favorite amps. It's on my top ten of all time list. I have said it before, but I really need to do it. I seriously want to find an old, and totally gutted and destroyed Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb or something else Blackface and put the guts from a Red Stripe Bandit in it. Spank all of the tube snobs once and for all.

I love my tube amps, but to say the things some people say about SS amps, you know they can only listen with their eyes. There are some fantastic tube amps out there, and there are some fantastic SS amps. For tube-like response and dynamics the red-stripe is one of the best. My Roland Cube 60 is killer too.

17. ReIgnition

ReIgnition Tele-Meister

What amp is it you want to buy that your are hoping won't be listed?

18. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I say Marshall stacks (or any other stacks for that matter). How many players out there get gigs too big for a 40 watt combo? Do you really need 100 watts pushing 8 12's? These are the kind of amps that teenage boys dream about. Not very glamorous being middle aged with a bad back & hearing loss.

19. Hucklebilly

Hucklebilly Tele-Holic

The last amp I bought was highly overrated. The advertisements said it would make me sound great, but I still sound like cr*p.

20. toadman

toadman Tele-Afflicted

damn! all i can decipher from this thread is that ALL AMPS SUCK!! :eek:who'd have thunkit!:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.