1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps you do not like or think or overrated

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mfisher, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mr.danny

mr.danny Former Member

AC15 reissues, my ears hurt just thinking of the sound.

2. SolidbdyJazzfan

SolidbdyJazzfan Tele-Holic

Any high-gain one-trick pony. I don't know enough about blackface or silverface Champs to condemn them for this reason, but I suspect 'em!

I'd rather use something that's hard as hell to get up and down stairs but has a lot of clean tube headroom than something really small that will break up too early. Just my take on it.

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Did you buy the amp new?

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Please define " most " :cool:

Loud, ok,
    Heavy, ok
    Overkill in some situations, ok

but is it overrated ? :confused:

5. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorite jokes! I always laugh at that one.

Cheaper to keep her.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Any Champ. They sound like sickly mosquitos, no full spectrum tone at all. They make cool looking paper weights, that's about all they are good for.

I've tried to like them, but the only thing a Champ does well is sound like an awful approximation of a crappy low dollar practice amp.

My next selection for "most overrated amp award" is the 5E3. These I'm not totally down on anymore. I have come to realize that if you are a guy who likes that tone, they have that one useful sound that it's hard to get anywhere else. I can see why some people really like these. But I hate the prevelant attitude that it's a be all and end all amp that'll work great for everybody. They certainly don't have enough clean headroom to be anything close to what I would consider a useful gigging amp, and the dirt sound is way too unfocused and farty for my tastes. I see these more as a very niche thing than an across the board "everybody ought to have one" amp.

7. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

+1. I had the same experience with mine. And, at the price of a DRRI, you can find a nice SF, that will sound good.

Also on my list are new new Egnaters. I just don't think they sound all that great, and at least for me, have proven to be unreliable.

8. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

MMB amp. Had one, upgraded the speaker, the best of tubes, never did it for me. Flat and dull (to me) A SFVC shines in comparison IMO. No I don't gig w/ it. Don't need to. Apples and oranges but for the tone I like the Champ has a shimmer that the MMB doesn't.

9. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

any head over $1000. Any combo over $1250.
    Not that I'd pay that much for either.

10. GlenParrish

GlenParrish Tele-Meister

You're joking, right? Guess I'll just hold onto my Boogie until Xavierre comes out with a tube amp. Then, I'll buy 12 of them.

11. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

No Mesa thrown under the bus yet?

12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

i think he's pretty serious. you can get quite a bit for that cash.

13. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

"You're joking, right? Guess I'll just hold onto my Boogie until Xavierre comes out with a tube amp. Then, I'll buy 12 of them.
    "
    not joking, no. but I should qualify it by saying I haven't purchasedd an amp in over 20 years. It'd have to be pretty amazing to spend more than that, as in lots of great usable sounds and built like a tank.

14. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Peavey Pacers! To all you Pacer lovers out there I say BAH!

15. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Marshall... but like nosuch says - what's the point? It's not exactly a subject that's going to contribute to the sum of human knowledge. IMHO.

16. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

These replies are hillarius! They are also typical, and as much as I'd like to through my disagreements onto some of the posts, I'll keep those thoughts to myself. I might as well through my $.02 into the ring. I would have to agree that the Re-Issues are not nearly as good as the hype, or the reputation. I also find the Blues Junior to a bad joke, the Mustangs not too far behind. I would add to that, the Fender 57 Deluxe, the Orange amps that I have played, Soldano, Fuchs, Egnater, Beringer. There are more, but....oh ya, the Mesa! Well, I've only had the LSS and tone wise I thought it was great (including the very frustrating 2nd channel) but mine had serious electrical issues, so it went back. When I started thinking about the amp after I returned it, and wondered it I'd ever get another one, I kept coming back to the un-necessary number of controls (not just knobs), some of which don't exactly deliver. What can you get for $2000? A lot! Goodsell, Headstrong, Allen, Carr, Swart, Vintage Sounds, Marsh and a lot more. I am of the opinion that with amps, less is more, but of course what constitutes "less" is widely variable.

17. rp1138

rp1138 Tele-Meister

I know I'll get flamed for this, but honestly, anything with the name Marshall on it. I don't think they're bad amps, I just don't think they sound as great as everyone else seems to. I'll take a Vox or a Fender over a Marshall any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think most blackface fenders are overrated compared to most silverface ones- and I also do not like old champs

19. telejester

telejester TDPRI Member

I never liked Marshalls, unless I was playing AC/DC covers. Vox amps are down there on my list of amps that I've tried multiple times and couldn't get into.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I played a real 1966 18 watt model 1974 Marshall at Dr Guitar's back in 1987. It was outrageously priced at $900 ! :)shock:).

It was/is one of the tonal benchmarks of my life. So much beautiful tube tone.

When I finally got one of the Valco's w/ the 6973's (National/Airline/Supro/others) it definitely scratched that itch(for thousands and thousands less) and resides on the same street tone-wise.

Yeah but other than that I have no need for any thing w/ "Marshall" on it. Those Club things are no good as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.