Amps with stereo chorus similar to a JC

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ftbtx, Dec 12, 2019.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

semantics but pretty sure jc was never "true stereo". what passes for stereo chorus is actually just a mono chorus signal and a mono dry signal. you can get that by running two amps and one of them with a chorus in front, one dry. Many of the variants of the analog chorus offer a second mono out for accomplishing just that.

tintag27 and ftbtx like this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

:):)Really ? to be honest i've never seen one of them in person, maybe once, but i've been very close to buy one a couple of times, in some way they attract me.
    Here in Italy in the late 80's early 90's the Fender Red Knob series was almost everywhere....;);)

ftbtx likes this.
  3. aux8

aux8 Tele-Meister

Yamaha THR10c is a stereo amp that excels at bedroom levels and has nice chorus built in.

ftbtx and stealyerface like this.
  4. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

This thing is my new favorite toy... Plus, if you go onto the Yamaha Owners Forum, there are guys that have entire their entire libraries of custom presets that you can download, and instantly access.

~syf

ftbtx likes this.
  5. control voltage

control voltage TDPRI Member

The Ampeg VH-140C and SS-140C have a lush chorus sound, and can also produce useable distorted sounds, whereas people don't seem to like the distortion on the JC amps. The Ampegs have separate preamp gain and volume controls for each channel. They have a little bit of a following, so they're probably going to be priced at $300 US or more.

I recently bought a Crate GX-140C for $50 US, and it's pretty similar, though a little smaller and lighter. It doesn't have the low-end oomph of the Ampeg, but I think it sounds pretty good. The reverb isn't footswitchable, though, like it is on the Ampegs. Crate made several similar models to this, both combos and heads, and they seem to be available for very low prices. Like the Ampeg, it can go from very clean to very metal.

These photos are from the internet. I couldn't find a very good picture of this specific Crate model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ftbtx likes this.
  6. control voltage

control voltage TDPRI Member

Another one, along similar lines to the two above, is the Peavey Stereo Chorus 212. A friend had one, and I thought it sounded good. They made a Classic Chorus 212 and Studio Chorus 210 also, but I haven't had any experience with those.

Photos from the internet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    neilybob100 likes this.
  7. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

These are my 2x12 combo's[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I think a JC is the right choice. They sound fine at low levels and have a headphone output. And they are a true stereo amp with L and R inputs and outputs. I have a JC 22 but if I were wanting to play with others I’d get the JC 40.

ftbtx and ScribbleSomething like this.
  9. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

ftbtx likes this.
  10. Addnine

Addnine TDPRI Member

I have had a Fender Ultimate Chorus for years. I don't use it much. They can be found quite cheap. (Mine can be found in the basement.) They weigh approximately 400 pounds.

The chorus is so ridiculously lush it will put you to sleep. Yes, it has two discreet power amps and is legitimately stereo.

They are remarkably loud and have a pretty but sort of watery clean. Not a lot of harmonics, with maybe a little solid state hifi quality ... but very pretty.

For some reason, loud as they seem, they do not stand out in the mix, even turned up beyond reason. They just become a very pretty looming presence, looming away,more or less musically. I guess they might be the world's loudest practice amp, or the perfect amp for playing that smirpy song from Titanic.

The overdrive (clipping) is so wretchedly buzzfest awful that it is toxic. I think I read once that it actually killed a guy right there in his garage, banging out covers of Mantovani favorites in the manner of Limp Bizzkit.

It does sound pretty, if that's what you want, annoyingly so.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    ftbtx likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It is interesting how many 80s-90s amps dont cut through. The Music Man's I had were that way. Even the 100 watter! It had been to a tech and said it was putting out 92 watts. In a big hall I couldn't hear it well in the band mix. Changed to my BFDR at break and everything was fine! I think they are made with huge mid scoop like so many of those 80's songs. Hollow sounding, big bottom and big top.

13. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

yip fits the inserts - basically a 10k pot and a couple of jack plugs but a very neat solution - also allows me to use an Ultimate Chorus which is 4 times the power of the Princeton in the workshop

14. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I have a JC 40 it can get plenty quite or loud depending on your need — especially if you also use the volume on the guitar.

The new distortion is serviceable if it’s all you got. I have to turn down the treble as i turn up the gain.

Personally I’m looking at the new Boss Waza headphone amp. It seems pretty great but also pretty expensive.

ftbtx likes this.
  15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I have had a late 80's Peavey Studio Chorus 70 since the early 90's. 2 x 35w stereo into 2 x 8" speakers. Fairly compact, with a nice clean sound, still use it as a backup. They still come up occassionally in the UK, last I saw in the UK was under £40 without a footswitch. Footswitch is 7 pin DIN connector controlling channel selection, reverb and chorus.
    upload_2019-12-13_21-27-49.png

EDIT: I have just checked the manual, and the DI out on channel 1 has chorus, and channel 2 is dry. So a stereo amp, but not strictly stereo chorus.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    ftbtx and neilybob100 like this.
  16. Eastbound71

Eastbound71 TDPRI Member

Oh man I didn’t know these peavey studio chorus 70 amps existed. Can you comment on the weight of this amp..I’m really into these older peaveys right now

17. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The original post was about finding a chorus amp that had a good clean sound at low volume. They all do, unless it's a crappy amp, full stop.

ftbtx likes this.
  19. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Hi all, I went with the JC40, thanks for all the help!

BigDaddyLH and ScribbleSomething like this.
  20. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

With the footswitch and a guitar cable tucked in the back mine just came in at 28 lbs on the bathroom scales.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.