1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps with "It" factor

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Riffraff12571, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

This one has it.

[​IMG]

Still I pushed for a little more and did a few Plexi mods.

[​IMG]

A: Replace the 4 Meg volume pots with 1 meg & use a pull switch type on channel 2.
    B: Replace the 100K mixing resistors with 220K.
    C: Tone stack shift part 1, replace .01 & .1 caps with .022 caps.
    D: Tone stack shift part 2, replace the slope resistor with a 33k resistor & replace the 320pf cap with a 500pf silver mica cap.
    E: Repurpose the unused SPDT ground switch to switch between two different feedback resistors by connecting the stock 100K resistor to one side and a 33K resistor to the other.
    F: Connect a 1800 ohm resistor to one side of the pull switch that is on the channel 2 pot and run a wire from that to one side of V1B's cathode resistor and then connect another wire to the other side of the switch and run that to the other side of V1B's cathode resistor. When the switch is pulled it will connect the 1800 ohm resistor parallel with the stock 1500 ohm resistor dropping the value of the cathode resistor to a Marshall proper 820 ohms which will bump the gain up a bit.

MIM Telecaster straight in. Yeah, it's got "IT".

RodeoTex, deus56, Dismalhead and 8 others like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Hot rails? I enjoyed that. Good work.

3. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

A used Kent Armstrong Chaos series someone gave to me. I think it's the one that is about 8.5k because it's not too hot.

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Just sold my YRM-1.....AGREE it had the mojo!

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I like the sound, but you gotta play the entire riff!
    ( " Oh Well" lives in my car CD changer)

6. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

That's actually AC/DC's "Beating around the Bush" but I know "Oh Well" and like that tune a lot. I play it all the time. They are very similar riffs. I know "Oh Well" better. I kind of messed up the AC/DC riff a little. I should have listened to it 1st. I decided to use that old Bon Scott AC/DC era tune because that's the tone I'm reminded of by this amp. Look it up, it's a really cool old AC/DC tune.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Got it,
    was not aware of the AC/DC tune,
    plus I've become a bit of an early Fleetwood Mac nut in the last 5-6 years. Just took me a while. ( big Danny Kirwan fan now!)

8. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sounded really good.

How loud was it?

9. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

It is a really loud amp that I typically crank and run through either a V30 loaded Carvin Legacy 212 or an ET65 loaded pine 212. This time I ran it into the Weber Mass100 and used the ET65 loaded 212 in the room but ran the line out from the Weber Mass into my DAW and used a Celestion G12M65 speaker IR. I've never tried that before and wanted to see how it sounded. It worked pretty well and should get better when I actually know what I'm doing. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.