Amps with BACKING tracks built in?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dsouza, Apr 2, 2020.

1. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

Now that the crisis is here I see more companies talking about home recording gear.

Do you feel tube amps that automatically play backing tracks as you perform would be more powerful than a typical vox Ac10 and wicked stereo system I play my BT on for home/youtube/live solo performances?

I’m wondering about the quality of these new amps?

Discuss....

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, it would sound worse.

I have an old Zoom processor which plays rhythms, it doesn't sound as good with everything coming through the guitar amp, but it's ok for a bit of practice fun.

3. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

I like my Korg PX-3. Jam with it all the time.

4. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I don't know about new gear but I've had Line 6 Spider Jam and Fender G-DEC amps with built-in backing tracks and they're a useful jamming aid. The G-DEC 15s usually develop an encoder issue after a while resulting in random tracks when the data wheel is turned. Spares aren't available and even stripping and cleaning the encoder contact tracks only provides a short term fix. I've actually got two upstairs that I've given up on but so far my G-DEC 30 has behaved perfectly. Song keys, backing speeds and amp models/effects can be adjusted too.
    Try one if you can.

telleutelleme likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Backing tracks through the guitar amp sound pants.

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Here's a demo of the G-DEC 3 Thirty.

985plowboy likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

The G-DEC Thirty is a fun little amp.

8. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I had the little GDec junior which was useful at the time .Its really horses for courses .Pro tube amp types dont need backing tracks , little practice amps do sometimes .Of course the easy way is to buy a classy tube amp and run your ipod backing tracks through a little SS amp like a Blackstar or similar.

9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Jammam looper loaded with BIAB self made backing tracks. With sd card I can get like 3 hours of full 3-4 minute songs....thru amp or pa sounds fine

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It was a while ago - years - but I didn't like my Fender with built in electronics the way I like using my phone, Trio+ or battery powered Digitech with battery powered practice amp. I rarely do the latter.

I have a cheap "Acoustic" brand acoustic amp that plays backing material with better fidelity than guitar amp. My Yamaha THR10 also has much better fidelity plus tremendous input and output options.

If you insist on a practice amp with electronics, look at Yamaha THR family. You'll find it has a great following. Yamaha has also done software updates unlike lots of other guitar electronic devices.

Just stuff like the Apple Music Memos app that's free with a bluetooth speaker are worth considering before a lot of dedicated amps with electronics.

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use my GDEC 30 as an MP3 player as well as a practice amp. It actually does really well and you can record the tracks using the stereo output. I think the wheel is the weak link as you cannot search for tracks.

12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I have a G-DEC 30 but I haven't used for several years and never cared much for the backers. YMMV.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

14. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's called "iPhone"

GuitLoop and imwjl like this.
  16. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon TDPRI Member

I Own a G Dec original and a 3 Thirty. the original uses Midi files for its backing track and the 3 Thirty uses wave files. The difference between these two is with the Midi you can take different instruments out of the mix but with wave files they are allways on. There are other differences between each model including mustang and the GTX.

17. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

Positive grid, Spark @ namm 2020.

discuss

imwjl likes this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

1) It's still vaporware - preorder mode. Compare that to Yamaha shipping a few models, generations, and their class act of having software updates to original buyers.
    2) The Yamaha THR approach offers you some really great and proven apps but doesn't mandate them. THR works great with every app I own.
    3) The THR input and output options are tremendous.
    4) THR is known for superb play "feel", great clean tone lots of products don't achieve, and appears to have more adjustments for the input and output.

I'm not saying this really great looking Spark product is bad but I've known Yamaha as making good stuff and supporting it for most of my now getting old life. I've been in a tech career for decades now. Announced with great fanfare in January but still in preorder mode in April? More reason why I'd spend my money on Yamaha.

My view is very conservative here but look at the wasteland of music related gizmos and gadgets that did not survive. Right now you could get a great price on a used THR and make sure it's got the latest software update. You can also buy already shipping newer generation stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.