Amps with a line out

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by rxtech, Jan 3, 2017.

1. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

What are some good amps that have a line out that sounds good? Basically, I'm looking for an amp that is not too big, sounds good, and doesn't have too many bells and whistles. It has to be able to mute the speaker somehow as well because they don't want us using amps on stage.

2. islander

islander Tele-Meister

While I am not an advocate for this, there are many people's rigs listed in more than a few threads here. Currently if you scroll down to the "No Amps On Stage" thread for example. The summary is that there a couple main views, multi fx (ie line6 etc) single pedal emulators(tech 21 etc) and amps. Of you already own a nice tube amp, don't forget the option of some sort of a load box/attenuator that provides both a line out and a dummy load.

3. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Tubemeister 18 has a nice set-up. Haven't tried my Rebel 30 line out, but it goes silent...

I'd try to find another service to play at - where you can at least use an attenuated amp. It's ridiculous to play without an acoustic output of some sort. Silent "amps" are for practice in apartments....

studio and CapnCrunch like this.
  4. consumnfire1229

consumnfire1229 TDPRI Member

I only agree with mrtiny if you are not using in ear monitors. I like my amp blasting behind me just as much as the next guy, but it isn't necessary. Do you use in ears? You can get all of yourself you want in your ears. If you are still in the 80s and use floor wedges, I would much prefer my amp rather than my guitar through the wedge.

I agree with islander more. If I were you, I would invest in a amp head and the Rivera mini rockrec. There are many affordable solid state amp options out there unless you are a tube snob such as myself. The rockrec is a bit pricey, but it offers excellent quality when running direct.

5. ddewees

ddewees TDPRI Member

Older technology but the Tech 21 Trademark 60 has a great direct out and the speaker can be muted with a cable in the headphone jack. I've been using it for a while at church just mic'd up. I'm able to keep the stage volume reasonable. I'm sure the direct option would work. I did that once with my Trademark 10. The monitor mix wasn't great but that wasn't the fault of the amp.

I'll be exploring more "silent stage" options this year since the wall around the stage at church was removed. In the past I could tilt my amp back but now that sound is just going to hit the first few rows. We still have floor wedges so the stage won't really be silent but electric guitar is the only instrument that amplified outside of the monitor system

I just picked up Helix and will experiment going direct and with small powered monitor but I may also test out the TM60 or 10 going direct or the Tech 21 Liverpool going direct.

6. islander

islander Tele-Meister

I hope no one confuses me for someone who believe in silent stages. For clarity, not judgment, I do not believe in silent stages, they are the least musical thing I have heard of. To each their own though.
    There are just a tone of rigs discussed and displayed on the threads here with what guys use who do use a noiseless setup.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    studio and CapnCrunch like this.
  7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Don't want to derail, but with the discussion of silent stages, I had to share something that happened last week. We have had speaker cabs in a basement room for a few years. The idea was to be able to run 30, 50 or 100 watt tube amps at volumes that would be impossible were the cabs on stage. It was a great idea in theory, but the sound guys immediately reduced gain and FOH volume on the guitars to the point that they consistently sounded terrible. So, in response, I dusted off my old Weber Mass attenuator and started playing through a cab on stage once again.

Last weekend the piano player was getting frustrated with the in ear monitor. She stopped the leader in the middle of song during practice and said "can someone help me with the monitor, I can't figure out which channel the electric guitar is in." I told her guitar 3. She then said "that can't be, because I've turned guitar 3 all the way down and I can still hear electric guitar." I was standing in front of my cab, and could barely hear it over the bass and drums so I know I was not very loud.

Anyway, this is what happens when you try to silence an instrument on stage particularly with IEM systems. People turn themselves up, and turn off the instruments they don't want to hear and pretend like they're playing all by themselves. As Islander says, silent stages are about as non-musical as it gets, at least in my experience.

studio, blowery, mRtINY and 1 other person like this.
  8. Boltneck

Boltneck Tele-Meister

My VHT Special 6 combo has a line out. I've used it for years and have no problem with its performance. It allows me to rehearse without a sound person with the band and serves as a monitor when we play for worship services.

9. gchastine

gchastine TDPRI Member

On stage I prefer amps and wedges. Our sound guys are good and generate a good volume mix on stage and out in the congregation without blasting everyone. We (band) can hear everyone and even though our amps are low volume, we let the sound guys dial up the mix on stage with wedges for everyone. Sounds very balanced and "natural".

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Hmm. If I had to pull this off I think I'd probably use my Princeton Chorus amp. It's a solid state amp with an effects loop and a headphone jack. I'd plug a dead quarter inch jack into the headphones and run the effects send direct to the house. That should give me guitar sound without using the speaker on the amp. I don't think you can pull this off with a tube amp, since the amp needs to see that speaker load. I guess if forced into it, this would be my DIY solution.

So if you have a solid state amp with a headphone jack and some kind of signal out (effects loop send jack usually suffices) then maybe that's a solution.

11. JuneauMike

Oh, and I'm probably in the minority since I think the Princeton Chorus is a really nice "forgotten" SS amp. As a result, they can be had pretty cheaply on ebay.

I much prefer tube amps, but solid state amps work just fine in a pinch.

islander likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

Actually, this looks interesting. And cheap.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RedBox5

I sorta forget about the need for speaker simulation with a direct signal. This is a DI box, so why couldn't you just run guitar direct into this and send that signal to the house?

13. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I used a Roland Cube 40 for about 4 years. It fits he ticket with amp and speaker emulation. Some bells and whistles, but they eliminate need for any pedals. Very good clean sound for acoustic guitar.

14. JuneauMike

For the benefit of the OP, can someone with more experience talk about speaker emulation and why its important?

15. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

The speaker is a major part of the electric guitar sound. Hi-fi speakers generally sound bad. With no emulation of a speaker, the guitar will sound flat, lack punch, and end up lifeless.

JuneauMike likes this.
  16. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Yep, and to think, I had one and sold it :(

17. blowery

blowery Tele-Meister

Yeah, we are "silent" too....still have acoustic drums, acoustic guitar and grand piano so not 100% silent.

What is the most frustrating is when you have everything setup right, your IEM mix is rocking then afterwards people say they couldn't hear anything you were doing. Might as well have been a cardboard cutout. :(:mad:

I realize the sound men are volunteers, but so are we on stage. Keeping it so quiet I think takes away some from the worship. When I'm not playing we usually have the same issue, weird mixes and sometimes you can't hear half of the instruments. Very frustrating.

18. islander

islander Tele-Meister

The last SS amp I owned was a Princeton Chorus. Great sounding "forgotten" amp for sure.

19. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Trademark is great, I use one for practice. Almost got a Bassbreaker, also nice line out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.