Amps Which Aren't Fools Gold

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Any tips you can share for getting that great sound out of the Backstage Plus? I still have mine from the 80's, though it needs a bunch of cleaning up. I'm taking it into the shop next week.

2. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

This was a while ago. I was really drunk and we'd had all of 1 practice prior to a 4 hour show. So I didn't really know what I was doing, as I'm sure you'll notice

tubedood and stevemc like this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you don't have a JTM45 or a 5F6 and have the slightest interest in either, drop whatever you're doing and buy it right now. Even if you don't have any interest in those amps, drop what you're doing and buy it right now because that's a KILLER deal on an outstanding amplifier.

4. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

85 or 86 carvin x-60 combo, original hi-energy speaker, working footsw. a lotta amp for $200. happy,happy,happy

5. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Bugera V22 all tube overdrive and clean channel with effects loop ... switchable to 11 watts if you need to (maybe you live in an apartment ?) ... this thing rips. The reverb isn't as nice as my old school spring tank (Fender Blues Deville 212) but it's less than half the weight. It'll do and is gig worthy. Cost me $200 including the Eminence Recoat speaker conversion. Worth way more than that as it punches well above it's weight class.

bugeraV22.JPG

The Angle and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

With the prices continuing to decline these days, it might be the SF Twin UL era that provide big bang for the buck. I can't say that it is sleeper per se as we all know the Twin, but the UL Silverface units are always being placed on the "undesireable" list so it gets lost in the discussion. If you like a clean platform that can still provide a great thick clean and excellent reverb...it qualifies.

The other one that I need to mention is a Brownface Princeton clone that I have. That circuit makes for such a great amp and my unit was built at 15w which is plenty with that clean and efficient amp. Even with the volume at 4.5, it matches my Twin on 3.5....amazes me everytime how well it fills the room for its size. Hell, even for an amp twice the size for that matter.

7. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Seconded. I’m running a Monoprice 15 and a Vox Pathfinder in stereo for my bedroom setup right now. I put a WGS Retro 30 in the Monoprice, but everything else about the amps is stock. I’ve got a SIB ‘Cuda running into the Monoprice and a Blackstar HT-Dist running into the Vox for distortion. Clean or dirty, they sound great. It’s easily the most gratifying practice setup I’ve ever had.

8. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Not sure. "Punches above it's weight" infers that it performs better than it's price or reputation? If so, I haven't really seen it. Plenty the other way around though.

9. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I have a 72 SF Bassman head I got for free. Dude left it in the practice space back in the 80s and never came back for it.
    2-3 years ago I spent $300 on some tubes and a recap/good going over by a good amp tech. Built an open back cab with a Weber Cali 15 in it. It’s loud and clean and a great pedal platform. Great as a lap steel amp too.

I would take nothing for my little USA Crate Vintage Club 2110R. Been going strong since I plopped down $300 for it new in 1993, except for new tubes and a simple short circuit repair about 3 years ago. Ive played it out more than any other amp I’ve owned due to size vs the sound it puts out.

10. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Hey, Beyer, the ad says it's a 1979 but the photos show a tagboard amp made of phenolic or something, doesn't look like a circuit board, no traces I can see. I looks kinda of beat but that is OK by me. I just may have to check it out, thanks for the tip.
    Thanks john

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

My ‘79 JMP 50w Master Lead II just crystallises so many classic rock sounds. I got it all original at a steal of a price but it’s a single channel amp, so limited to a few tricks but what tricks they are!

I got a DSL40CR just as a backup which has proved to be a superb gigging amp and must be the absolute best value tube amp in the market. With the 6 way footswitch you have 4 channels, fx loop switch and two master volumes for normal and boost for lead. The crunch channel has all the character of my JMP. So that def. punches above it’s weight. Throw away your dirt pedals and boosts! Marshall put exactly what you need for a working guitarist into one amp.

I have to give it to my 80’s Mesa MKIII though on long term evidence. Beat out newer MK5s and others. Dozens of years of duty in London theatre pits in the 90’s doing big rock operas, on road, studio and countless pub and bar gigs since have paid for it many times over. Hugely reliable, only lost one switch in all that time. Three superb channels (I added an extra level knob), the graphic eq is best thing out there and its cleans and lead tones are simply amazing. I know it inside out now and can dial in any tone asked for and keep finding new ones. In terms of ROI it’s streets ahead. It’s only loses one point for being slighter heavier than a neutron star.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My ears like the small to medium size amps from Kustom such as the 12 gauge and KGA30/60/100 models.

13. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Looks like it's in good shape internally, do it! Do it before I email the guy and ask him to ship it to me!

14. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Did someone say Traynor? Here’s mine. You find a better plexi tone under 500 bucks. Ain’t happening.

15. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

Univox made some pretty darn good sounding amps at one time. I had a 2-10” model U75 I wish I’d never parted with. Their reputation kept the prices very reasonable.

16. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

The newer Bugera V-22, como or head just a real good deal. 22 watt or 11, you can mod til the cows come home
    and not be in debt.

17. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

Ditto the OP’s praise of the Gene Benz BP. That amp deserves to be much more popular than it is.

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't use the overdrive at all. I use it as a pedal platform. How's the speaker in yours?

DSC01054.JPG

19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Not sure! I haven't plugged it in in thirty years! I'll find out soon...

20. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

OP good call on Rocker 30

Monster amp

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.