1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps That Don't Take Pedals Well

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zimbo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

My orange Rocker 30 (2 channel el34 amp) absolutely hates any pedal including most boost pedals. They're pretty notorious about it. Something about every pedal I've ever put in front of it absolutely kills the character of the amp. The depth, the lows and mids all just disappear no matter how mild. It's still my favorite amp, nothing else sounds quite like it, but man I got rid of every pedal I had when it was my only amp. Now I have a DRRI in addition to the orange and I remember how much fun pedals can be.

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That sounds like a cool fx.

Ira7 likes this.
  3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I would respectfully disagree after feeding a BOSS SD-1 into a friend's JCM800 the other week.

Brown trouser time - it was awesome!

4. Strelok

Strelok TDPRI Member

The Trainwreck express has a bit of a reputation for not liking boost or overdrive pedals. Course then again why on earth would you want to do anything to the distortion when it sounds like this:

Right around 2:10 is when it starts to get into the full on overdrive.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    pkevinb and jbdrumbo like this.
  5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

As general rule, a lot of SS amps don't like having their inputs overdriven, that amp especially. If your using od etc on your board to push a hotter signal at that amp like you would with most tube amps, to push the amps preamp into od, it will start sounding like a can of bees on crack. You have to get all the breakup from the pedal (use a distortion pedal if needed) and set the output level of pedal roughly to be no hotter than a guitars signal straight in.

jimash likes this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

It's a meaningless phrase. It's just marketing blather. Every amp takes SOME pedals well and doesn't work well with others.

It's not an answerable questions - there is no TYPE of amp that does or doesn't take "pedals" (all umpty-tousand of them) well...or does.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you mean overdrive, yeah, I agree. Great amp, just not the clean pedal platform like it's larger brethren are...

8. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

No way, there's one in my avatar on the left. I run fuzz>wah>univibe into it and it sounds epic! Plenty of master, not too much preamp is what mine likes!

9. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Really? . Back in 80's running two 100watt stacks I could never dial in something I liked when using pedals. Straight...from the guitar great amp! Adding a pedal or two no no no.. (at least when I tried) Ended up juicing/modding both.. wish I never sold them but I did... but they never had the clean head room I was looking for...

well cudos to ya for achieving something I couldn't.

10. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

I think i was trying to use a Ratt and I think I also tried a Boss (something...) it was back in the mid 1980's. I'll admit I was more of a straight into the amp player with little feel for dialing in a pedal or two. Now.. I totally flip flopped. I'm a single channel high head room amp with a serious pedal rig kinda guy LMAO!

talk to me in 10 years .. I'll be playing something totally different... Gear gas ... what can ya say or do...

rogb likes this.
  11. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

You answered your own question. Stick to the classic Hendrix setup, dial down the pre amp a bit to cut that 80s fizz, crank the master to get the EL34s(NOS RFT) cookin'. Mine likes pedals but not all pedals lol! Sometimes I use a Cornish style buffer at the end of the chain.

Pcaluaru likes this.
  12. Bikersluggo

Bikersluggo Tele-Holic

I have had the same experience with my ac-4 and my ac-15. My Fender Excelsior, however, sounds really good with most dirt pedals. I like the "edgeyness" too. I'd love to know what it is about these amps that makes them react this way so I could modify an existing amp or know how to shop better.

ebb soul likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I was referring to boost, drive and distortion pedals. There's just an unpleasantness to it which i assume is due to the midrange characteristics of the amp.

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I have been a big orange guy, owned I believe six of their amps, and pedal unfriendliness has been a common theme amongst them. Some are better than others but not one has been great.

15. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Hey, we have a big orange guy running for president. Ba-dum-tst. Thanks folks, I'll be here for the rest of the week, don't forget to tip the staff.

Spaceboy and Stingfan73 like this.
  16. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. That's been one of my go-to reference amps for pedal demos, and guitar demos too.

17. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

As it is VERY topical:

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Respectfully - that doesn't really make sense. You're dumping ALL boost, distortion and OD pedals into one big bucket when I can grab a dozen such pedals at random from my pedal storage and each will be voiced differently - and depending on how the amp gain is set, the tubes used (if it's a tube amp", how the preamp os voiced...well, there are just too many variables to make generalized statements that a group of pedals don't work because a specific person's amp is voiced a particular way (because I can take any of them and change the voicing just with tubes, biasing and speaker(s).

As I said before there is NO answer to the OP's question - no amp takes all pedals way depending on how it's set up - and no pedal works perfectly with every amp for EVERY player.

It's also a subjective answer no matter what, as each player will have a differ perception of desirable tone.

19. fakeplastic

fakeplastic Tele-Meister

The AC15 I used to own was bad with pedals, I think mostly because of the limited headroom. I think a good platform for pedals starts with a nice and loud clean tone that you can build off of. Once the amp starts breaking up, it tends to get a bit pickier about pedals, IMHO.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Respectfully, when I have an amp that I can throw a wide variety of OD pedals at and have trouble making it sound good (and this is a PRRI that sounds stellar clean), and I can take that same pedal and put it on any of my other Fender blackface style amps and have it sound just fine, it's the amp.

Of course talk about tone is subjective. As ever, I only speak from my personal experience.

burntfrijoles likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.