1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Amps That Don't Take Pedals Well

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by zimbo, Nov 3, 2016.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I see many amps advertised saying that they take pedals well. Which amps don't? I'm thinking maybe solid state amps.

I just got a Roland Jazz Chorus and when I hooked it up to my pedal board I get a ton of static. Play straight into the amp and it's clean. I'm wondering if this one of the amps that doesn't take pedals well? I'm using a Snark no hum power supply.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I dunno about the JC - but usually high gain/MV amps with compressed/boosted preamps are very finicky with pedals

Fiesta Red and 8barlouie like this.
  3. tlandonevans

tlandonevans Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Had one of these for the subs in my truck. Did not like pedals AT ALL.

4. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

That's a great question: maybe a rhetorical question!

5. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Static would be indicative of poor interconnecting cabling on your pedal board, and/or a noisy power supply for the pedals, and/or noise that was already present being more prominent as a result of increased gain stages from overdrive/distortion pedals.

In general, the Jazz Chorus sounds just fine with pedals. I think "takes pedals well" is a bit of an overused trope. I think most of the time when people say "it doesn't take pedals well " they'd be more accurate in saying, "that amp sounds like crap and pedals really magnify that fact. "

6. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I have an old Legend Rock n Roll 50 amp that doesn't seem to interact with some pedals very well. It has a high gain preamp section similar to some Marshall amps. Wah pedal is fine, fuzz and distortion sound mushy, older Boss pedals make everything bright and spiky even in bypass. I haven't tried a treble booster with it--that might sound good. I like the sound of the amp, but I only use it dry.

J Hog likes this.
  7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I certainly am disssapointed in distortion pedal results with my ac4 c1, definitely sounds better thru the Traynor. MXR 78, don't know wether to blame the pedal or the amp.
    Can't get any 'edgeyness'. Sounds creamy instead.

8. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I've always thought this was a fairly ridiculous phrase. if it "takes your guitar well" then it will "take pedals well." The difference might be with a boost pedal, in which case it would be pushed into an ugly form of preamp distortion, which would be the fault of the amp: it has a lousy preamp that sounds bad when pushed

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think the Princeton Reverb RI takes pedals well but that's just my opinion.

RetroTeleRod and moosie like this.
  10. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I've found that my small solid state Marshall MG-15 and my Fender Deluxe 900 don't like my Earthquaker Arrows much. That's only one pedal though.

On the other hand, my Industrialectric Squarewave Generator makes my Supro 1606 inspired amp sound like it's going to explode... which actually works for me... but I'm not sure if most would say it sounds good.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think JC amps take anything well. Those are the most sterile, lifeless amps ever created, IMHO.

jimash likes this.
  12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It has to be closed back, if it's open back you can take a lot of pedals, just put them back in there, be careful not to rip the speaker cones.

13. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

I guess whether an amp takes a pedal well depends on what pedal you’re feeding it. I have an AC4c1-12 for a couple of years, although I haven’t been playing it since I got an AC10c1. I found some overdrive pedals get along with it and some don’t. I have a Dazotronyx “Class A Germanium Amplifier Boost” pedal, basically I gather a Rangemaster-style boost, that sounds really sweet with the AC4, as long as it’s the only pedal or there’s no buffer in the chain. A Tone City Black Tea, said to be a knockoff of the Carl Martin AC pedal, is my favorite in either of the ACs, especially for giving some breakup with classic chime and touch response even at very low practice volumes. The Black Tea seems robust to other pedals in the chain.

So maybe it’s more accurate to say some amps take a wide range of pedals well and others are fussier. Or maybe it’s the pedals that are fussy…

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is a largely meaningless marketing line that someone got the bright idea of uttering. What pedals? Takes how?

Sort of like "cleans up with the guitar volume" when talking about low or mid gain ODs.

Some think to mention it and others don't. I'm willing to bet they "take" pedals equally well (or clean-up with the guitar volume equally well) regardless.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I think there are some pedals that don't play well with certain amps, but that's why it's a good idea to audition pedals with the opportunity to return them if necessary, or try them with your amp in a store before buying.

16. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

I think it has more to do with having a solid clean base on which to build from, and in general Fender tube amps are good at providing a solid foundation.

You start with a nice clean tone and your distorted tone will 'cut through the mix'(Oh my, another cliche') but be careful not to 'scoop the mids' or your 'creamy sustain' will not sound so' 3D' and the ...

17. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

My Laney VC-30. Not that it sound's bad, it just sounds better on it's own drive channel. Every other pedal just seems to add noise. Same goes for the VC-15

18. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I have a Lehle Little Dual
    On my pedal board. By flipping the phase switch, it has a drastic effect on whether a pedal sounds good or not with any of my numerous amps. I have not found an amp yet that the pedals didn't sound good one way or the other.

Mark*123 likes this.
  19. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Marshall JCM800's took pedals horrible...

20. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

The 5E3 is not a big fan of boost type pedals stock. The cathodyne can get easily driven into blocking distortion and the amp farts out as a result.

I know firsthand of a specific amp that really dislikes certain pedals. The Mesa Solo Rectifier's FX loop really doesn't take kindly to some modulation type pedals. My bandmate has that amp and a Boss delay, and engaging the delay pedal starts a helicopter sound that sounds like the intro of "Another Brick in the Wall Part 2".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.