Amps that cover all the bases

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by thing2n8, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Hackweed

Hackweed TDPRI Member

Bugera V22. Nothing new comes close for the money. Keep the stock speaker, break it in real good... then change the tubes and make sure it's biased correctly. This will give you loads of clean headroom that's nice and fat. Drive channel is fizzy to me, so use pedals for OD.

2. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Along with the Fender Mustangs consider the Peavey Vypyrs. Like the Mustangs they are available cheap used. Even cheaper than the Mustangs.

I was skeptical about modeling amps after some experiences with Roland, Line 6 and Vox products, but I picked up my first one cheaply used and it grew on me. Simple interface, although you need a Sanpera pedal controller to get footpedal conrol of the amp and effects models. I ended up with three Vypyrs for less than what I got selling my older Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I'm totally tube free for the first ime in nearly 50 years.

3. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

Man...I had one of those Artists for years. It was LOUD!!! The clean channel was excellent!

Unless you're playing really loud, those Peavey Classic 30s will cover a lot of club gigs without a PA. They've got a really nice sound. If you need the extra volume, there's the 50w. I've seen the 30w for $300-350, regularly, on craigslist.

You'll hear arguments, but solid state works well in my world, too. The Mustang and Cube are good, as is Tech 21 gear.

But if you're looking for a great clean tone that can dial in nice breakup, as well, my opinion is that you're better off with a tube amp. The Peavey Classics give you a LOT of bang for the buck. Buy some pedals as the years go by.

(I haven't heard that Carvin you saw, so I can't comment)

4. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Peavey Classic 30, used for 300-400 all day long.

5. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

I don't know why no one has suggested a used Line-6 amp. I honestly don't know why they get such a bad rap. Yes they are SS, and of course we all prefer tubes. But for the money they are really hard to beat, especially used. Seems like they don't hold their value at all on the used market. I have a Line-6 Spider III 150W 2-12" modeling amp. It's a few years old, in excellent condition, I've been thinking of selling it but it's only worth $150-200.00 on the market, so I'm thinking I may just keep it for a backup.
    It is louder than you could possibly need, extremely crisp and clean, twangy and punchy, has great distortion, soft and fuzzy, or even the metal/shred/crunch sound if you want it, has a good reverb, delay, a bunch of other stuff. Has adjustable presets, line out, Celestion speakers, it's really a loaded amp. I don't think you could beat a used Line-6 at all, for the money.
    And some models have a tube pre-amp, they sound really good.

6. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I forgot to mention the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 and 120 (used). Occasionally you can get a new Vypyr Tube 60 for less thab $400.

The Vypyr Tube amps have a modeling amp front end going through a tube power amp.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Fender Mustang. Its a modeler (covers all the bases) and is loud!

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So many modelling choices because the thread is titled "cover all the bases" but the original post actually just asks for a loud, clean amp for cheap.

9. thing2n8

thing2n8 TDPRI Member

I guess I need to be more careful next time haha. Although they are giving me some good new options to think about.

10. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Holic

Although they're modelers with all the bells and whistles, they are also loud and have good clean tones.

My personal preference is tubes (Peavey Classic 30 at that price), but good SS amps can be had at very reasonable prices.

11. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I agree Bugeras sound pretty good.

12. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

The Line6 by Bogner amps are both all tube AND modelers, can be had for around $500 give or take

13. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Peavey's Delta Blues 1x15 will cover it all.

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

loud, clean, cheap, Fender Roc-Pro 1000 or Fender stage lead if you can find one. both tranny, great cleans, tick all the boxes you have.

15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Did you say loud and clean? You, sir, want a Music Man 210-65 or similar. You might be able to find one right around $400, and it is a hell of a lot of amp for that money. I can't recommend a Traynor for staying clean all the way up the dial. All of my non-janky-homebrew amps are MusicMan and Traynor. MusicMans for clean, Traynors for grind.

Nothing does loud and clean like Music Man. No dice on the effects loop though.

Hey, what the heck, just buy this: (no affiliation)http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/3729341109.html

16. thing2n8

thing2n8 TDPRI Member

If you don't mind, what traynor amps do you have?

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

What thing said ;)

Clean, Fender, Vox, Mesa Boogie (not clean).

Vox Valvetronix have Fender, Vox and Mesa Boogie models, also Dumble, Marshall, Soldano and HiWatt.
    I'm guessing Fender Mustang have similar. Roland Cube are more generic but have a good history of being gigged. Line6 have an unfortunate propensity of dying and being returned to the shop (source local big-box). The Orange Crush is one always that gets overlooked but gets very high marks in reviews, and it does very good cleans.

Either Laney VC30-112 or LC30-112 will give you Fender-Vox-Marshall (which is more than can be said for Fender, Vox and Marshall), set you back close to £500 new but second hand around £200 for the less popular LC30, a trifle more for the VC30.
    And then there's Marshall. Has anyone bothered to mention that Marshall valve amps do a very good clean indeed. But they have so many models I can't sort them out http://www.gumtree.com/search?q=mar...ingdom&category=guitars&min_price=&max_price=

18. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I have a couple Guitar Mate Reverbs, YGM-3s. I will say that I played a YGL-3 MKIII that was pretty clean up the dial, but it had a master volume.

19. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

I'll second this. I played out with one for years. Very loud. Pretty heavy as well. Selling mine on cl now...

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Any amp that I own. hahaha.........I do my research first as others on this forum or you wouldn't be here right?

My Amps (any would suit your needs - yes I'm biased)

1) Marshall AVT 275 - I just use the clean channel (s) with my pedals- I used the Acoustic simulator channel as a clean channel. This is a hybrid 150 w amp with 2 stereo 75 watt amps running in stereo. I love the tones. I love Marshall cleans and plexi type clean tones. On a budget, this amp delivers.
    I worked with another guitarist back in the 1970's that had a nice plexi half stack. The AVT reminds me of that sound.

2) Peavey Delta Blues 210 - 30 watts of tube bliss - both clean and OD channel are inspiring. The built in Tremolo and spring reverb is wonderful.

3) Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 - 275 watt Solid State beast. Uses two 135 watt power amps in stereo. The analog Chorus rival that of the Roland Jazz Chorus amps.
    This is a 1992 teal striped model. I run through a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic tube preamp pedal 1st, in front of the amp. This makes gives me sparkly cleans and a wonderful overdrive that sounds like a Marshall tube beast.

I got this Peavey amp used in excellent condition for $100 and bought the Seymour Duncan pedal used for another $100. That's a total of $200 for a killer huge combo amp system. I don't believe there's ever been another tube combo with as much clean headroom as this. Someone let me know if there has been.

John McLaughlin uses the same model Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic with his pedal board. That gave me a huge boost of confidence to get one. He was right, of course : )

I Now also have a brand new Fender Mustang III, V1. Between the snow storms in Colorado and my health, I haven't tried it out yet. I'm sure I'll be happy due to the glowing reviews from people here I respect and what my personal tastes are.

Maybe I won't need my other amps besides the Mustang III. I haven't got there yet.

These amps will do it all except death metal, which I don't play so I wouldn't know. I shouldn't say they'll do it all. That is an incredibly naive statement.
    A Mesa Boogie Mk 1 is a Mesa Boogie Mk1. A real vintage Fender whatever is in it's own league. What a mean by "do it all" is do all types of music within reason. Not to impress the ears of a collector, which is not what I mean.

For Rap, I recommend a Gorilla 22. I don't play Rap either but I'm sure the Gorilla would handle it.

My 1960 ish Beltone AP22 1x12 is retired to practice only. It won't overdrive even if you dime it. I won't include this because their aren't too many out there, but for sparkle cleans it's tough to beat. Not an amp to cover all bases but I'll never sell it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.