Amps So Bad, They Are Good

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I have a Crate V33 head and 2x12 cab that is reputed to be awful. I admit I hate the gain channel, but the clean channel sounds fantastic with lots of headroom available. A speaker change might help out the whole thing, but I have never got around to it.

V33H.jpg

CrateCab.jpg

2. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I have a Crate CR-110 so bad it's horrible. It is somewhere in the back of a closet.

3. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I bought mine 15 years ago and spent about 10 years prior thinking about getting one on and off.

I always liked it and I did a couple of the Hasserl mods to it, one mod I kept the other I reversed. Along the way I bought a Twin Reverb Reissue and a Vox AC30 as well as some others to try to displace it but those amps sit in the closet or if the Carvin makes it to the closet it's for a short time before I dig it back out. There is just something about it I can't get close enough to with other amps. After Carvin quit building amps I was really trying to find something that somewhat duplicated it and when I think I'm close I fire up the Carvin just to realize it's not close.

4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I bought the standard SS Pignose new in the '90s and still have it. It runs on batteries or a wall wart, and has only a volume knob (the nose on the pig), no tone or any kind of EQ. It does sound kinda rinky dink, but if you turn the volume all the way up and put a dynamic mic in font of it, it has a brash nasal sound that I've used on a couple of recordings.

Pignose.jpg

Never played a Bronco yet, so don't know how the fuzz sounds on one of those. But the Pignose above has more of a fizz than fuzz.

I have an older made in the US Crate VC-508. Has a metal grille and built solid for a little 5 watt 8" tube combo amp. Inexpensive and sounds meh up close, but it can be useful in the right situations. I've gotten some good recorded sounds blasting the amp and distance micing it in a room with wooden floors and getting the sound of the room.

Crate VC508-1.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  5. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

Hey! Those bastards! That's my amp!

johnny k likes this.
  6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Thurston Moore's (formerly of Sonic Youth) Peavey Roadmaster head:

Attached Files:

7. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

89F6434A-FA75-4653-9442-08E610849DE0.jpeg
    The high gain settings are sort of terrible but the low gain ones are good for me. I also like the Hall Reverb, Trem and Chorus. If I am lazy to setup anything else, I can play for hours happily with just this.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

A HUGE disappointment of an amp for me,
    getting one ( maybe 1997) after seeing the ads ( ' buy direct and save') in Guitar Player magazine for so many years.
    Looked SO GOOD on paper too.
    " all Tube, 50 watts, Spring Reverb, 2 channels, 2x12"...)
    I bought one as a backup to a sometimes 'sick' '67 Fender Pro Reverb
    It just sounded edgy spiky on Clean channel ( could not dial upper midrange overtone out, with EQ) and a fizzy OD channel.

* maybe it was the speakers - the idea ( then) of swapping tubes/ speakers was just not a 'thing' then, to me.

But I sold it for $50 less than what I paid

Les H likes this.
  9. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

The Pignose is awful, but in a glorious kinda way.
    I once had a Peavey Backstage 30 - it was awful in a very real way. A guy borrowed it once and never gave it back. I figured that anybody who'd steal that amp deserved to sound that way, and I never said a word about it. I hope he's still playing it somewhere and sounding like crap.

richey88 likes this.
  10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

It sucks against modern modeling/ss units, but on the other hand it's the 80s in a box.
    If you're looking for a "Hysteria",Police,Men at Work,Bryan Adams etc. emulator..this is it!

11. noahclem

noahclem TDPRI Member

I had one of the early-ish Rockmans (Rockmen?), but used as a headphone amp, not an input to record with (that was way beyond me). The Nobels I think competed with the later, more advanced Rockman X-100. It was the only way I knew of to get even close to those sounds.

Then I had a Korg Pandora X-4 (still have but don't use), and now I have one of those Fender Mustang headphone amps. And I have one of those Smokey amps in a cigarette box (buzz-saw!). All horrible and wonderful in their own ways. All beat the software amps for me, because I haven't been able to get beyond the latency.

12. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

Fender had a liscenced version of the Nobels Studio 1x in their program
    upload_2021-6-23_17-58-34.jpeg

noahclem likes this.
  13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Buy a Crate, they're great! :lol: I got mine new in 1979 and still have it.

While a pretty awful guitar amp stock, I used my original Crate as a vocal monitor back in our low budget days. The stock speaker, Eminence I think, had a metal dust cap and it beamed like crazy. Great for a vocal monitor! I leaned it back against an old broken drum throne I had.

Now I use it as a cab for my Zeppelin Design Labs Percolator, after replacing the stock speaker with a Jensen C12Q, I think it sounds great :D

(not my pic but it's this Crate showing the stock speaker)
    cratecr1.jpg

14. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Too bad. It could have been great with the clipping diodes removed.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

It's OK!
    I couldn't lift a Bel Air today anyway!

Gigging with 1x8" and 1x10" amps now- very happy!

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I had the V18 from this series. SO much dope on the speaker (I see it on your speakers too)!! I swapped the speaker for the one from a Vox Valvetronix and rolled tubes. Turned into a great gigger. If I recall it was ridiculously inexpensive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.