Amps So Bad, They Are Good

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by patriotplayer90, Jun 16, 2021.

1. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Please tell this story! Or did you have to swear not to?

2. chickenwire

chickenwire TDPRI Member

VHT Redline 60R. Nasal, half cocked wah sound but crazy with a fuzz pedal in front. Nice and loud and the clean channel makes a decent boom box with line in.

f4ngdlutmqafyfzxdqgk.jpg

3. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I just got one a couple of weeks ago at a gear swap meet. From across the room it definitely sounds small, but sitting right next to it I hear some tasty AC tones!

Blackmore Fan and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. warchol

warchol Tele-Meister

Pignose Hog 20
    Squeal baby!

5. donnyrocker

donnyrocker TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I think I've had mine for nearly 20 years! Great little amp, surprisingly chimey for SS, I think!

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  6. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

I had the 212 Chorus version. At least it looked cool! Yes, clean was nice (and loud).

Greg70 likes this.
  7. WillJ

WillJ TDPRI Member

You weren't specific. But if you're talking about the Roland Micro Cube, 2W, with the 5" speaker with 6 amp simulations and a mic input? I've had one for 16+ years, used it at weekly practices, numerous open mics and gigs and a couple of recording sessions. My bandmates dubbed it the battery as it looks like a car battery and it can run over 20 hrs on six AA batteries. I will admit that I've really only really used the cleaner Black panel and Brit Combo selections and a bit of 'verb. Buts its been a trooper and nearly indestructable. Cost wise, it was about $125 in 2005. Roland is still making them (Micro Cube GX) with updates, added some new sounds, a neat heavy octave rffect" and boosted the output to 3W But, not surprisingly, added $25-$30 to the MSRP. It's a good replacement. But the old tried and true still rules IMO.
    The worst amp I've heard had to be the Sears Silvertone amp in guitar case. What a neat concept. Perpetual speaker distortion at all volume levels. I believe there were several versions and cost less than a $100. A number of today's big name artists started out with those babies. The masonite guitars are still available. But you hardly see them offered with the case/amp anymore. But, when one pops up they are, it's listed more as a highly over-priced collector's addition. Who knew back in the 60's??

Esquire Jones likes this.
  8. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Roland MicroCube is very usable in the black panel setting. Jim Campalongo (sp?) uses one with great results.

I once sat with Adrian Belew in a studio where he plugged a refrigerator sized rack into a mini-Marshall amp ( the tiny battery powered thing) . It sounded “experimental” and very distorted.

9. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

I have had a PF15R for a long time too. I think I paid 129$ for it new. I have always been amazed at the tones I get from an “entry-level” SS amp. I always liked it better through a cab, I took the chassis out and turned it into a small head. It’s as light as a feather and can get seriously loud. I still believe it was an accident that it turned out to be so good...... To the OP’s point It was an amp that should have been bad..... but it was really good.

10. wrangle

wrangle TDPRI Member

A Gorilla just like this was my recording amp for a good 15 years; used it for guitar parts on a major label release & it made an appearance on a regional TV ad. Used a SansAmp or fuzz for dirt, never the built-in "crunch", but it had a great clean tone that cut through mixes like a knife.

Coffeemutt likes this.
  11. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

Put a sonic stomp or an eq pedal in the loop of this amp and it goes from ‘not bad’ to ‘pretty killer’. Seriously.

Danb541 likes this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

First guitar amp. No name cardboard job. All tube, little speaker, sit close with a semi hollow and practice feedback.
    Danelectro Honey Tone. I've had one of those since it was a new item. Sounds awful in a good way.
    My unpopular opinion: this is exactly how I feel about small Fender tweeds.
    I have a Vox AC 4 TV mini. Great recording amp.

13. fathand

fathand TDPRI Member

I have one of those, 20 watt.

In 80s or 90s I lent it to a couple semi pro guys who said it was a fabulous amp. I recently looked online and people say horrible things about it.

Have tastes changed so much?

14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

C714EB42-9337-4597-BB57-23477661D6B5.jpeg

The V-stack amps were actually pretty fun. I believe this is 30 watts.

15. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

Tweed SS Fender? That, Sir, is a sacrilege! and hilarious.

16. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

I've not heard any tube Pignose amps but I have been rather impressed with quite a few of their SS amps, even if for only one main sound. Please do explain why you think it sounds terrible. I've never heard a tube amp I couldn't get something decent out of unless the orig speaker was pure trash.

17. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I had the bass head from this make, wasn't too bad. This is the only other one of their products I have seen!

aging_rocker likes this.
  18. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

Also, they earned every bit of nothing.

19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Well they built a career.

20. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

I taught middle school guitar for six years. Dang this thread takes me back. No recommendations, though. Countless bad options to choose from.
    You did send me to drag out the box at the bottom of the closet to search for my old Radio Shack multi channel digital reverb unit with the RCA jacks. As a pre-amp/effect direct into the Fostex X-26 cassette four channel multi-tracker, it was awful and great. Moving the sliders while playing gave some bizarre shreeking. Too bad it's not in there, sigh...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.