Amps Similar to Peavey Delta Blues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ibnrushd, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Not sure what your budget is, but you might want to look into Swart amps, specifically the AST Master Mk II 112 combo. Will do jazz and blues, no problem. Very well made, 6V6 based, with tremolo and reverb. All tube driven. Hand wired. Solid pine cab.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

How about a ‘64 Vibroverb (not) reissue?
    ...the Cesar Diaz/SRV one...15” speaker, 45/50 watts, great reverb & tremolo (although not as great of a tremolo as the ‘63-reissue Vibroverb)...

However, the Peavey Delta Blues (in my opinion and experience) is more akin to the Fender Hot Rod Devilles/Deluxes, except no tremolo on the Fenders...

Marc Morfei likes this.
  3. Mikev7305

Mikev7305 TDPRI Member

So up here in Canada the land of traynors, there's plenty of great clean tones to be found. I own a delta Blues 210 and I agree it is a fantastic amp. I actually plug it through a closed back cab with an eminence legend 15" in it and the 3 speakers together are incredible. I also own a traynor ycv40 and the clean on it is very thick and rich. And (around here at least) they sell pretty cheap used.

I know cheap isn't really what you were looking for specifically I just figure it is in the same ballpark as a delta blues. Other than the El84s vs 6L6s of course.

blowtorch and ibnrushd like this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Curious now. I have always liked the video clips of the Delta Blues and have been tempted to look for one, but have never played one. I just came across this video and wanted to ask here since several people have been long-time users of that amp in this thread. Any truth to this video? Is it just a bad amp or is this an actual problem? Also, has it been fixed if it was ever an issue?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...-22&sk=&cvid=EEAF634D30A940F3AA406BCEFC1869D4

5. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Mine haven't been quite that bad but, as I noted, my only complaint with the Delta Blues is that it makes a lot of weird noises. Hums, hisses, kerrrrrangs from the reverb tank. I experienced some of that with the Classic 30 as well. I just accepted this as the character or personality of the amp until playing some nicer "booteek" amps that were dead silent. Hopefully I can find an amp with a rich clean sound like the DB, but built to a higher standard.

I know Peavey has put out various "versions" of the DB but I couldn't tell you if they fixed the problem. I would be curious to know that myself!

Milspec likes this.
  6. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Trying to stay under 2k if I can. I found a Super Reverb for well under 2k that I like very much. So I'm using that as my benchmark. I won't pay more unless I hear something that seems truly better (to me). I will check out SWART. Thanks for the recommendation!

JayFreddy likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

At that price point, and you like EL84's, GET A Z!

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I have not had that issue on my DB210. My one problem with the amp is scratchy pots.

Milspec likes this.
  9. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I have no doubt that you'd find one used under $2K. Quite a bit under $2K.

10. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

+1

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

How easy are the Chicago Blues Box's to get hold of in the US. A Kingston 30 I think you could get 1 x12 or 2x12 the Roadhouse 4x10.
    Apparently a well built bullet proof hand wired amp which I almost pulled the trigger some years ago but the freight component the seller wanted to charge to Aus. killed the deal.

12. Pudnubber

Pudnubber TDPRI Member

Im partial to the peavey blues classic 30 and anything made by zinky/supro..... Look for a blue velvet. Tone will be one uoull never want to replace.

Attached Files:

13. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

A 335 and a Super is a great, great sounding combination. You may even be able to get *both* for under 2k. People complain about how heavy the Super is, but I just love that sound. You also might want to consider what you're doing with it - it will be easier to lug around a DB versus a Super. Also, the room will make a difference, so if it's going to live in a basement or a studio versus getting dragged here and there and everywhere, that can change the equation.

I like my DB just fine, it's been all over the world with me, reliable, good quality, loud enough for most things. I still would like a Fender-y amp (I *really* want a Tone King Sky King - I played one and just ... wow. But I can't ever justify it.), but around the house I use a THR10 on the Clean setting and that does Fender pretty well.

JayFreddy likes this.
  14. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg TDPRI Member

I use an old Music Man "115RH" which is a 15" speaker in a closed back, front-ported cabinet. I use it with a Champion 600, a Pro Junior, a Blues Junior, a Hot Rod Deville, a Kalamazoo Reverb 12, and an Epiphone Valve Junior. It expresses the bass signal that exists in moderately powered circuits but doesn't make it to anyone's ears through stock small speakers (the 5 watt 600 cranked all the way for power stage distortion sounds awesome). It adds clarity and depth to bigger combos, too (the 65 watt DeVille through its 4 built-in 10" speakers plus the outboard 15" turned down to 1 or 2 is a stunningly deep dark clean). Maybe a nice 15" speaker cabinet can help you find your sound?

15. Milspec

I've seen several of the Blues Box amps pop up on ebay over the last year. Seems that when Buddy Guy started using them they became harder to find, but remember that Guy went to the Blues Box back when Fender went to the "Hot Rod" curcuits. Now that Fender went back more to the vintage designs in the re-issue amps, I don't know if the value is there in the Blues Box. A re-isssue Twin would get you in the same territory for much cheaper. Could also look for a Fender Pro in good condition (one on ebay right now...no connection to me).

16. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Guy must have swapped camps for a reason & I don't see any comparison to a hand wired Kingston or Roadhouse to a pop out production Hot Rod or Pro for the ballance of outlay. Sorry if I sound objective but this is my opinion.

17. Milspec

Yes, he swapped camps because the Hot Rod Fenders no longer sounded like the traditional Fenders that he spent a lifetime playing. Actually the same reason that BB King switched to the Lab Series from his Twin. My point being that the Blues Box sound was more traditional Fender which Fender has returned to being with their reissues. I have never played a Kingston or Roadhouse amps so I can't comment on those.

I do have to correct myself on the Blues Box sound though, it was not a Twin, but rather a Bassman circuit and Buddy will sometimes replace them on stage with the Fender Bassman as well.

Bluey likes this.
  18. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

I heard a Roadhouse at a live gig here in Oz that really impressed me but I never realized they were a Bassman circuit. Anyway the build & price was very appealing until the seller wanted 1/3 of the sale price to ship plus after hearing all the horror stories about frieght in the US I bailed.

Milspec likes this.
  19. Milspec

About the only way to win with shipping such amps is to do it in pieces. Ship the chassis seperately and build your own cabinet with speaker or ship them seperatly as well. I think a chassis would ship safely, even with the apes at the shipping companies, it seems to be the larger and heavier the box, the more bashing it will take en route.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.