Amps Similar to Peavey Delta Blues

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ibnrushd, Feb 9, 2020.

1. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister

Orange Tremlord.

2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The Delta Blues has EL84 tubes... big difference.

I gigged a Delta Blues 1x15 for several years and always liked it. Actually was a bit bright with the stock speaker, but I attributed that to the lack of a rear panel.

I loved my Peavey. Until I played a good Fender. If you want rich cleans, Fender is it. Where do you usually set the volume on the Peavey? If staying low & clean, a Deluxe Reverb would be the first choice for me. The '68 Vibrolux Custom is along the same price point and would be 35 watts of 6L6 and 2x10 if you are worried about power. Either one used should save enough cash to swap speakers to whatever would be best for your situation.

3. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

My experiences with Peavey DB and C30's have always made me feel they're tonally similar to the Fender Hot Rod series of amps, but my experience is limited to quick try-outs in stores.. I did like the tones, in the same way I like the HRD amps though, similar blues/edge-of-breakup tones to my ears.

With that said, and based on your desires for a big clean tone, I'd suggest hunting down a Fender Excelsior. They're a vintage flavoured amp - 13w with built in tremolo - with a single 15" speaker. The result is a big lush clean vibe, that breaks up when pushed/cranked up. They're 6V6 based, but I like these tubes with clean tones. Key difference is that there's no in-built reverb so you'd need a pedal for this.

4. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

I like how’s there’s a post and pre setting that’s super helpful to get a variety of tones. I know there’s a DR Z Amp that does the same thing. But it uses 6l6 tubes more of a cleaner amp.and more watts of course. Like above it reminds me of a hot rod amp. Sounds kinda close to my blues jr tweed with a Jensen speaker. The delta has trem and more gain I think tho.

ibnrushd likes this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Well, if money is not an object I’d try to find a Fender tweed Pro. There is a RI out there, plus some good clones too.

I have never had the pleasure of trying a Delta Blues, but my needs I suspect are similar to yours: I am looking for an amp that will give me that 40s 50s swing tone at “big band” volume and not break up but not be totally clean either.

Blackface amps are too hi-fi for that. I know: I have one I love dearly and works perfectly for every other application I have for it (Tremolux: 2x6L6 into 2x10”). My 1946 Epi Zephyr sounds wonderful but you can’t turn it up very much before it starts snarling (which is cool too… but might kill its delicate guts). I suspect that a tweed Deluxe, despite its nominal 12-15W, would be a similar experience.

Hence, the mighty tweed Pro: tweed tones, 26-ish W, 1x15”. Or a tweed Super, or tweed Bandmaster (also reissued): same circuit into 2 (or 3) 10”.

Or, indeed, a Delta Blues, 115 or 210… gotta try one!

kookaburra and ibnrushd like this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Sounds like you want the peavey. Try the 210 as well. Also check out a fender blues deluxe.

Marc Morfei and ibnrushd like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Delta Blues does not have EL34 tubes. It has 4 EL84 tubes. They do have their issues from time to time as does the similar Classic 30.
    If you want similar tone in a more reliable amp, get something with EL84's. If you have the money I strongly suggest DR Z amps with those tubes for quality and quiet.
    I have had both the DB and a DR Z Ghia. The Ghia is rated only at 18 watts but from my experience almost as loud as the DB. But Z has plenty of 4 x EL84 amps too.

BB and ibnrushd like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't get it. You know what your favorite amp is, you don't have one, there are several available to you, and you have enough money to buy one, but you want to look at everything else first.

I have a Delta Blues (1 x 15") I bought used last year. It's awesome. I keep it cranked pretty well up, and control the volume at the guitar. It could play a big room I know, but it sounds dandy in the little room I play it in, or turned up more to fill the house while I go in another room with a long cable.

Sounds to me like you need a Delta Blues, and time's a-wastin'.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Yes, lowish and relatively clean. I'll keep trying the fenders, thanks for the recommendation.

I like BB King, Kenny Burrell, that type of sound. Rich clean. And I love Robben Ford, but his sound would be an extreme high gain sound for me! So I don't need a multi channel MESA Boogie (though I've played a few and they do sounds great). I just like the amp to bark and sustain a little if I hit a note hard.

I've been trying some blackface fenders after reading about them here. I'm finding that I love some (Super Reverb) and really don't like others (TRRI sounded extremely harsh and bright to me. I asked the shop owner of it was broken and he said No, that's that's the way a Twin Reverb should sound!)

I suppose that could be down to individual amps, tubes, speakers differing as I understand these blackface models should all sound relatively similar.

10. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll check out the Tweed Pro.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

Fair point!

I just started reading about amps on this forum and decided I wanted to see what is out there. I've owned a few amps in the past but never knew much about them other than "loud enough/not loud enough" and "I like it/I don't like it".

I may just get a Delta Blues but I'd like to look around first. I recently sold off a couple guitars and an amp to get out of an economic hole. But it turns out I have some money left over, so I'm going to take my time and get something nice. Which may end up being...a Delta Blues.

But I thought I'd have some fun checking out other amps and learning a thing or two in the process. Even if it's a wild goose chase, the worst that can happen is I spend some time hanging out with my buddies and playing through a bunch of cool amps.

Im not in a rush as I have a Deluxe Reverb as my back up amp. It's fine but it sounds a little thin sometimes. And playing jazz on a tele can tend to sound a bit thin already.

12. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I wish there were more amps out there with 15" speakers.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

artdecade and ibnrushd like this.
  14. artdecade

Marc Morfei and uriah1 like this.
  15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

What about a Tweed Pro or clone?

Ah, nevermind. No trem. Durr

ibnrushd likes this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

:)

Delta Blues and Simple.jpg

Tone Eee, stevemc, BB and 3 others like this.
  17. ibnrushd

ibnrushd TDPRI Member

No trem is ok with me since I could get that from a pedal if needed. Reverb is a little more important to me.

18. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

That, too, is something you don’t have on tweeds. But you have wonderful combo trem/verb pedals, and the chewy tweed sound might be worth it just by itself. Might. I don’t know. We’ll compare notes as we go along in our discovery, compañero ;)

19. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Modelers are a really inexpensive way to survey the field and get an idea of the amp sounds you like the best. I got a POD 2.0 when they first came out. It gives you a pretty fair idea of what different amps sound like at various volumes. Not exactly like the real thing but gets you the ballpark.

I knew amps can be put into groups, like class A, tweed, blackface, plexi, brownface, etc. Each group has a characteristic sound as does each amp in that group. With the POD I could check out all of these types of amps and do easy A/B tests. In my case, I ruled out a whole bunch of amps right off the bat.

Since you like the Peavey Delta Blues, I suggest getting your hands on a modeler and checking out various tweed and brownface amps. Those will give you more of that "brown sound" less of the blackface scooped mid sounds. When you find an amp that you like, try the real thing.

20. artdecade

The Delta Blues does a lot and doesn't bang up the wallet. It is a great amp. I might just stick with another one!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.